Wesnoth sheet music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Wesnoth sheet music

Post by West »

skeptical_troll wrote:
Inky wrote:Does anyone else think it would be fun to write out the main theme in like 3 parts and have different people play them? We could make a Main Theme version with real instruments played by people from the forum! (Come on, I know there are a bunch of people lurking in this thread )
That would be fun, but I don't have any decent recording device, only my phone and my laptop which would sound really bad. :?
IIRC I think there was a similar thread years ago where we discussed doing a "Wesnoth band" type of thing. Never got anywhere but I wish you luck :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

West wrote:
shadowm wrote:You could use VirtualBox or some other virtualization software to run XP as a virtual machine on whatever OS you’re running. It runs on Windows, macOS and Linux and doesn’t require hardware virtualization support enabled in the BIOS and CPU (though it’s way better with it) for 32-bit guests as old as Windows XP through 7.
Good tip, I might look into that. The question is, does it let you set up virtual file systems? I did a major restructuring of my samples in maybe 2011 or so, moved them over to a different drive, sorted everything into categories etc. So even if I could get Cubase running on this machine, any project predating this change will throw me like four dozen "file not found" errors, as things aren't where the plugins used expect them to be.
VirtualBox, like many other virtualization solutions, pretty much requires you to set up at least one virtual disk image during VM creation unless you grant the guest exclusive access to a removable USB drive.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow, so many responses, even West himself! Thanks West, that's a very generous offer! (Maybe we will finally solve the eternal mystery of that one passage in Traveling Minstrels :D )
Samonella wrote:Oooh I like this idea a lot! I play trumpet,* ocarina,** and dabble in piano.*** I have decent equipment for recording, too.
skeptical_troll wrote:That would be fun, but I don't have any decent recording device, only my phone and my laptop which would sound really bad.
Unfortunately I don't have a good recording device either, I just use my ipad which ruins the tone. But I don't think we should let that stop us? I mean this is just for fun and not trying to be a perfect recording (however, phones do sound horrible so I would try the laptop instead) :) And I think it would be so awesome to have us collaborate on a piece since we've been working together on the sheet music (only if you two want to, of course).

I play (just) the cello by the way, so I could play the bottom part.
Samonella wrote:** a flute-like instrument that you've probably only heard of if you've played The Legend of Zelda
Ha, this is too true for me, actually I thought for the longest time that the ocarina was a fictional instrument they made up for the game! :oops:
I don't know the range of the ocarina- would it be able to play the middle line?

Here's the main theme written in 3 parts, based of Samonella's "accurate" version. Any suggestions for changes? (maybe some stuff in the first few measures should be moved to other parts)

Edit: actually the first 3 notes would probably sound most awesome on the trumpet (an octave up)? Would that even be in the range? :hmm:

(Oh, and Samonella: I LOVE how you added different instruments to the score!! The brass on the first 3 notes totally caught me by surprise!)

EDIT: removed the attachment, more recent version is in the Wesnoth Minstrels thread
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Inky wrote:But I don't think we should let that stop us?
Hell no, let's do it! It would be very nice to have some percussion in this piece though. Anybody out there?
Inky wrote:I don't know the range of the ocarina- would it be able to play the middle line?
the one I have yes, but I don't think it would sounds very epic :) if Samonella can play the trumpet I'd say that suits better.
Inky wrote:actually the first 3 notes would probably sound most awesome on the trumpet (an octave up)? Would that even be in the range?
it's 6f, so I'd advocate playing it all together, regardless of the octave. I don't think we need to be too philological!
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I created a new topic, The Wesnoth Minstrels, so this one can stay focused on sheet music. This is looking pretty great! :D
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey, so I took a look at the in-progress portion of Traveling Minstrels that Samonella posted here, and think I found a few typos (I am not completely sure about all of these though - please comment if you think I made a mistake)

I attached a revised version with the following changes:
  • Pickup to measure 9: changed (A B) | C# to (B C#) | D
  • Measure 12, last two notes: changed F# D to G# E
  • Measure 21, second beat: changed D to C#
  • Measure 22, second beat: changed D to C# again
  • Measure 28, last two notes: changed (B E) D to (B D) C#
  • Measure 49, top line: changed E to B
I'm going to start working on Wanderer next!

EDIT: Deleted this version - see later posts for a more complete version
Last edited by Inky on April 5th, 2017, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

West wrote: IIRC I think there was a similar thread years ago where we discussed doing a "Wesnoth band" type of thing. Never got anywhere but I wish you luck :)
Hello West..
Maybe you're referring to "Saahnebrei's" old project, to play rock covers of BfW music.
That project somehow went to sleep 3 years ago, but seeing, how much fun it is with "The Wesnoth Ministrels" band, maybe time has come, to revive the rock thing... for some magical reasons i know, that the old drums, bass and guitars of that rock-cover thing still exist on someones HDD (though untouched for a loooong time).
I like beavers.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Perhaps it's time to revive... the Wesnoth Band. :mrgreen:

Attachments
konrad.gif
konrad.gif (9.54 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
kalenz.gif
kalenz.gif (9.13 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
haldric.gif
haldric.gif (4.24 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
gweddry.gif
gweddry.gif (11.78 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
gwiti.gif
gwiti.gif (12.66 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Yeah, you're the best, zookeeper.
I am Gwiti. :D

EDIT: well, what has been done so far (years ago), i'd be Gwiti, Gweddry, Kalenz and Haldric at the same time,and my nephew being Konrad (doin' some orcish metal-shouting).
I like beavers.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Those sprites are awesome! Does anyone remember the Era of Music from Wesnoth 1.10? It was a faction of musical instruments and they all had funny descriptions (my favorite part was how the violas had the poison weapon special).

------
Anyway, I've made another monstrosity, this time it is attempting to be Still Another Wanderer by Timothy Pinkham but there are some highly dubious chords and also some very suspicious rhythms.

measures 56-75: The rhythm isn't quite right here, I didn't know how to count this part. Maybe it is not in 3? And it seems like there is some rubato going on? :hmm:
Also the section at measure 76 features some... creative... chords... :whistle:
There are too many fishy places to list them all though, but hopefully it sounds somewhat like the piece? Some parts are probably not very playable, but that is left as an exercise for the reader :P

EDIT 4/12/2017: New version here! With less "creativity" at measure 76 hopefully :D
Last edited by Inky on April 13th, 2017, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

It sounds very good overall! Unfortunately I don't have time to look at it closely (or to get back to Traveling Minstrels) but I have an idea about the weird middle section. I think (think!) it's in 4 until measure 76. That makes measures 55-57 look like this:
bar55-57.png
bar55-57.png (12.83 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
which i think (think!) is pretty close to the original. But it's impossible to be sure; I agree there's some rubato.

EDIT: :lol: I just looked through the era of music, it's great! The drum kit should definitely have a berserk attack special though.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

The scale you wrote definitely sounds closer to the original, but I felt like the beginning of the scale is 8th notes - using the 3rd beat of m. 54 as a reference, the 3rd beat of 54 seems to last as long as the first two notes of the scale? And listening closely I think the last two notes of 54 are actually not 16ths but something a bit faster like 16th note triplets.
The last few notes also seem much faster than 8ths (unless there is a massive accelerando), maybe they are triplets or something? :hmm:
I was thinking we could just write some random rhythm and write "rubato" there :D :whistle:

m. 57-75: Hmmm, I had tried counting that section in 4 but that didn't seem quite right either (but it's also very possible that I wasn't counting correctly).
Since measure 76 has a clear tempo I tried to use that tempo as a reference, and it seemed like most of the chords lasted for 3 beats at this tempo :hmm:

(Speaking of m. 76 it sounds like some awful contemporary piece there, sorry to anyone who listened to that :P )
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Yeah... I did weird things with the tempo, and i thought you'd just figure out what i meant. Which is a pretty ridiculous thing to think when it comes to these three measures. And, go figure, my while I was trying to make a better way to explain it, I changed my mind.

I'm still not sure exactly how to count it, but I made a useful discovery. I tried syncing the song with a metronome, and suddenly things make a bit more sense. The met syncs before the scale, loses the pulse during it, but then fleshes right back into the following measures. This makes me think (think!) that the scale is just played very freely, with little attention paid to the underlying pulse (in which there is no rubato to speak of). But listen to this mp3 with the met, maybe there really is a rhythm that I just couldn't make sense of:
Attachments
with_met.zip
(241.2 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Samonella wrote:I tried syncing the song with a metronome
Oh hey, that's such a smart idea!!! 8) :eng: Perfect for people like me with bad rhythm :D
I should see if that works for the rest of the middle section!

So maybe m. 55 onward would look something like: :hmm:
Spoiler:
It's not exact, but as you said I think the scale isn't following any established rhythm, and there's no point in trying to write the exact rhythm because it would be a syncopated mess that no one would be able to count.
Samonella wrote:This makes me think (think!) that the scale is just played very freely, with little attention paid to the underlying pulse (in which there is no rubato to speak of).
I think the definition of rubato is not a change in tempo, but when you borrow time from some notes and give it to others within the established tempo, so that would apply here. (But I think the term can also mean, do whatever you want with the rhythm)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Inky wrote:So maybe m. 55 onward would look something like: :hmm:
It's not exact, but as you said I think the scale isn't following any established rhythm, and there's no point in trying to write the exact rhythm because it would be a syncopated mess that no one would be able to count.
Yep, that sounds quite close. I agree we won't reasonably get any closer.
Samonella wrote:I think the definition of rubato is not a change in tempo, but when you borrow time from some notes and give it to others within the established tempo, so that would apply here. (But I think the term can also mean, do whatever you want with the rhythm)
:hmm: I always thought it was a tempo thing, for the conductor to push or pull whole ensemble, probably while transitioning to a new tempo. But you're probably right.

I took a crack at bars 77-97 and ended up changing the baseline's notes substantially, and added a note to the bar 77 melody. There is still plenty of... creativity... going on. So I'm also attaching the mp3 I listened to while working; it has a met and a low-pass filter, and should be helpful while you fix everything I've messed up. :whistle: But I think it's an improvement overall.

Listening to the rest again, I think I'll repeat that you did the majority of the song very, very well. :D

On a different note (no pun intended) I think it would be helpful if you gathered up all the more-or-less finished scores and updated the original post with them. Currently it would be a bit of a chore for users to search through and figure out which versions are finished and which aren't.

EDIT: added the attachment. :whistle: :mrgreen:

EDIT 2: Attachment removed, better version later
Last edited by Samonella on July 22nd, 2017, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.