1v1 MP Map: Minervan Gate

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nop

1v1 MP Map: Minervan Gate

Post by nop »

minervangate.png
This huge iron gate once protected the border between ancient empires. Now, two war parties clash in the ruins.
2p_Minervan_Gate_V4.cfg
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
This is my first map for Battle of Wesnoth. I'd like to make tournament/competitive/mainline maps. I've read some of the great guide material on this forum and have paid close attention to balance wrt village stealing and terrain. I welcome your feedback on this map's aesthetics, balance, and (most importantly) fun!

Enjoy,
nop
Last edited by nop on May 11th, 2020, 2:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
nop

Re: 1v1 MP Map: Minervan Gate

Post by nop »

Had some test games today and made some adjustments.

* Terrain features were cleared and fords were added to guarantee that Loyalists and Northerner scouts can reach the most distant north/south villages in two turns.
* Fords were added to improve north/south mobility for non-flying factions.
* Moved the Orcish Keeps to guarantee that MP5 leaders can reach them in two turns.
* Added a couple of forests to the middle.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Nice, I find this map very interresting.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
nop

Post by nop »

Played some more test games. Though the starts are in the NW and SE corners, it usually turns into an East vs. West battle. The villages are set up for it, your scouts will always arrive first at villages along your East/West edge. This makes it a vary wide and shallow map with roughly five land routes across.

More adjustments in V3:
* Removed chasms near Orcish Keeps and added more fords to make it 10 flat moves between all three of your corner's keeps.
* Added some more fords and adjusted swamps in the middle to make North/South movement even easier. This should help to make the gate area more useful for map control.
* Tweaked the East/Westmost villages to be picked up by scouts on the way to the most distant on the edge.
* Other visual tweaks.
nop

Post by nop »

Also, thanks Yomar!
nop

Post by nop »

V4 is all about standards conformance:

* Now distributing as a scenario with parameters and sides defined.
* A village was moved from the "safe" middle keep position to a swamp near the start position. Player 2 starts with this village captured.
* The other village near the start position was moved within range of a MP5 leader.