Unead vs Knalgan Alliance balance

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kinaj

Unead vs Knalgan Alliance balance

Post by Kinaj »

Hi,
I recently played with my friends a game versus two undeads, rebels, northerners as knalgan alliance in FFA. In finish me vs undead i realised that KA don't have any counter against ghost, wraiths etc. They have no fire or magic damage whinch could kill ignore ghosts immunity. I am just stupid or this is some kind of lack in balance?
Dragons - have a lot of fire and magic (astral) damage.
Northerners - have fire archers.
Undead vs undead - necromancers can counter ghousts
Loyalists - have priests/mage
Rebels - have shaman
I know someone could say: but ghoust have a little health in comparision to they immunities - well yes but actually no - they also have also evrywhere - dodge like 50%. I think this should be reworked. Idk - maybe switching sting damage to fire damage in dwarf with riffle could be good idea.
PS: sorry for all mitakes in english - this is not my native language.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Re: Unead vs Knalgan Alliance balance

Post by Computer_Player »

There are generally 2 ways to counter ghost:

1. Superior melee capability - damaging the ghost with powerful melee to overcome even the drain healing. This is most easily done during daytime when melee damage is reduced (and thus drain effect is also reduced), but Orcish Grunts have been known to kill ghosts even at night, usually standing on good terrain (this is also economicaly sound since 2 Grunts at 24 gold is almost the same price as 1 Ghost (20 Gold).

2. Ranged damage - Ghost ranged does not have drain effect, and thus unlike melee, you can continually do damage on the ghost reliably even with weaker ranged damage. Ofcourse a powerful range is more preferrable, but range nevertheless is effective.

And finally there is the special case:

3. Berserker - Berserker forces a protracted combat thus allowing for the exhaustion of Ghost hp even with only 1 hex. However for this to work, it is better for the ghost to have been damaged beforehand, the Berserker to stand on good terrain, and for the Time of Day to not be night, preferrably day (at night, the reverse is more likely to be true and Ghosts will seek out Berserkers to 1 vs 1.)

Listing your examples I would futher add-

Drakes - Any drake at day, saurian soothsayer at night for range damage
Northerners - Archer, Grunt, Naga at day, esp. strong ones.
Undead - Adepts, Ghosts, Archer ; but entire lineup except bats, can do good damage to ghost due to drain not being effective.
Loyalists - All units at day; At night you can use mage if desperate.
Rebels - Shaman (reduces drain) ; All unit's ranged attack - esp. Mage, Archer.

Now to Knalgan
Thunderer - powerful Range damage but some may not like it for its All or Nothing attack
Poacher - More traditional range counter, does good consistent damage
Gryphon - Powerful melee and always on 50% terrain. Very good at day
Dwarf Fighter - At day and on good terrain, can do good damage vs Undead
Thief - Must be in backstab mode. Even better in good terrain. Does respectable damage, esp. at night for cheap.
Berserker - as covered above, but reduce Ghost HP to increase its chances. Likely will have very low HP even after killing a middle HP Ghost.