be notified about posts in one's own threads

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

denispir

be notified about posts in one's own threads

Post by denispir »

Hello,

Currently, it seems that, with standard options, we are not notified about newposts in one's own threads (!). (We are notified if anyone quotes us, but this is not specific to threads we created.) It is very annoying, because we have to visit all of them regularly just to know, just in case. And this requires remembering all of them, their titles, the subforums where they are paced, and then search this subforum, all things time-annoying and time-consuming, especially for people with bad memory like myself. So, if ever there is an option about that, I would recommend to change its default value.

But is there any such option? I have searched and found none. In my User Control Panel all options inside Board preferences/Edit notification options are checked, to no avail. What should I do?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: be notified about posts in one's own threads

Post by octalot »

It's part of the group of tickboxes on the post-new-topic and post-reply pages (not the quick-reply page). "Options", "Notify me when a reply is posted".
denispir

Post by denispir »

octalot wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 12:17 pm It's part of the group of tickboxes on the post-new-topic and post-reply pages (not the quick-reply page). "Options", "Notify me when a reply is posted".
All right, found them. A very, very weird point is that (by me) this box is by default prechecked for a reply, but unchecked when creating a new topic. Is it me, or people who choose default values for such things, who live in a alien world? ;-)

Does someone know if there is way to invert thiese default settings (or have both checked)?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

denispir wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 3:33 pm All right, found them. A very, very weird point is that (by me) this box is by default prechecked for a reply, but unchecked when creating a new topic. Is it me, or people who choose default values for such things, who live in a alien world? ;-)

Does someone know if there is way to invert thiese default settings (or have both checked)?
If you go to User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit posting defaults, there is a setting "Notify me upon replies by default".
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Just to mention a potential alternative:
In the "Quick links" menu there is an entry "your posts", which lists all threads where you posted to. If any got a new answer after you last looked at it, it will be marked differently. (And recently changed ones are on top.)
This way you don't have to manually check all your threads, but can see all ones that got changes at once. It will list all threads you posted to, not just the ones you started, though.

(I remember also a "your threads", which only shows threads you started, but can't find it anymore. Looks like this was an old mod, which possibly was not compatible to the current version anymore.)