Eleazar's Terrain Improvements

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Eleazar's Terrain Improvements

Post by Eleazar »

I repurposed some graphics and got a serviceable mud pit going in 35mins -- certainly my record for a terrain with layering even half this complex.

Hopefully i'll have time to make it prettier layer, but this isn't top priority.

I call it "Muddy Quagmire".
Code: "Sm"

It's an alias of swamp that can be used in caves or wherever you want swamp without reeds.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-31 at 9.31.01 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2010-08-31 at 9.31.01 PM.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 12652 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

OK, i'm going into refinement mode.

Redid the transitions for desert and sand in a highly complete way, 39 varied, yet seamless transitions each with alternates for the one and two and six sided transitions. I think i struck the right balance between retaining the hex-shape, and making the edges organic.

I'm looking in to propagateing this shape to the dirt transitions.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-09-04 at 8.34.04 PM.jpg
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
freim

Post by freim »

Looks good.

Is it just me, or do the desert tiles with stone details look much sharper than the ones without?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

some bad transition
trunk r46310
bad_transition.PNG
bad_transition.PNG (92 KiB) Viewed 12084 times
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Anonymissimus wrote:some bad transition
trunk r46310
Yeah, that's existed since at least 1.8.x

Unfortunately it involves a complicated part of the terrain WML that i haven't touched because i don't understand it.
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

I'm working on a quick fix for the desert mountain problem: i.e. recolored regular mountains without the green parts.
Screen shot 2010-09-07 at 6.07.51 PM.jpg
There are still issues, but this is infinitely better than my many years old desert mountains.

I would have gone with more deserty colors, but i wanted both mountains to work well right next to each other.

Water
There have been several complaints that the new non-tropical water is too un-saturated. I recommended viewing the terrain in many actual maps before forming an opinion, and never heard back from any of them. 1.9.x has been out for a while, giving the non-compilers a chance to do just that.

If i don't hear back in a week or so i'll assume the objections are withdrawn. I want to finish some of this water stuff up soon.
Attempting Lucidity
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Having played 1.9.x, I agree that the non-tropical water could be a *bit* brighter, but overall, one gets used to it quickly.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

freim wrote:Looks good.

Is it just me, or do the desert tiles with stone details look much sharper than the ones without?
I dunno, i can't fully convince myself that i see it -- or that i don't.

Anyway, since better looking stones can now be added as an embellishment overlay, i tend to think these should be removed.
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Eleazar wrote:
freim wrote:Looks good.

I dunno, i can't fully convince myself that i see it -- or that i don't.
Do you mean desert vs sand (A&B vs C&D)? That is true. Or that B is sharper than A? That is subtle, if true.
Eleazar wrote: Anyway, since better looking stones can now be added as an embellishment overlay, i tend to think these should be removed.
Would it be worth leaving those in for the random map generator? Or can/could the generator deal with embellishments? (I looked at the trunk SVN to see what updates were done to the generator file(s), but I don't know where the thing is or what it is called.)
Attachments
sand.jpg
sand.jpg (113.46 KiB) Viewed 11706 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

doofus-01 wrote:
Eleazar wrote:I dunno, i can't fully convince myself that i see it -- or that i don't.
Do you mean desert vs sand (A&B vs C&D)? That is true. Or that B is sharper than A? That is subtle, if true.
Eleazar wrote: Anyway, since better looking stones can now be added as an embellishment overlay, i tend to think these should be removed.
Would it be worth leaving those in for the random map generator? Or can/could the generator deal with embellishments? (I looked at the trunk SVN to see what updates were done to the generator file(s), but I don't know where the thing is or what it is called.)
I was assuming he meant C&D.

Random map generators are in data/multiplayer/scenarios. Look for files with the name that starts with "Random"...
They don't add embellishments, though it would be nice if they did. I updated them in the middle of the summer to use some of the new variants, but randomly adding appropriate embellishments is beyond me
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Off the cuff, i think this is a reasonable distribution of embellishments for random maps.
^Efm
on Marsh and Regular 15%
Medium temperature range?
G*

^Gvs
on Marsh and Regular 10%
Medium temperature range?
Re,Rb,Gd

^Es
on any 5%
G*,D*,R*,Uu*Ur*,Aa

^Em
on Marsh and Regular 5%
G*,R*,Uu*,Ur*

^Emf
on any 5%
Uu*

^Edp
Desert and regular 5%
high temperature
D*

^Wm
on any 1%
G*,R*,Aa
EDIT: zookeeper has applied random embellishments to random maps.
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Today, i tweaked the dirt colors a little bit more and applied the transition shape which i created for the sand.

This is IMHO much more attractive.

Perhaps next i'll look at the transition between the bank and land.
Screen shot 2010-09-10 at 1.16.48 PM.jpg

For comparison here's how the map in the first post of this thread looks with current tiles.
Screen%20shot%202010-09-10%20at%202.53.34%20PM.jpg
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

OK, i'm starting on serious transitions for the cobbled road terrains. Compare to previous post.

May do more mulit-sided transitions...
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-09-10 at 9.18.20 PM.jpg
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Applied the better transitions to the other cobbled road terrains.

Also gave the overgrown path a more broken-up look and more variety.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-09-11 at 2.48.49 PM.jpg
Attempting Lucidity
freim

Post by freim »

Eleazar wrote:
doofus-01 wrote: Do you mean desert vs sand (A&B vs C&D)? That is true. Or that B is sharper than A? That is subtle, if true. Would it be worth leaving those in for the random map generator? Or can/could the generator deal with embellishments? (I looked at the trunk SVN to see what updates were done to the generator file(s), but I don't know where the thing is or what it is called.)
I was assuming he meant C&D.

Random map generators are in data/multiplayer/scenarios. Look for files with the name that starts with "Random"...
They don't add embellishments, though it would be nice if they did. I updated them in the middle of the summer to use some of the new variants, but randomly adding appropriate embellishments is beyond me
I meant A vs B. It's quite minor though.

Multi-sided transitions have made a huge difference, great work :)