Sleepwalker Animation Commissions WIP - Dwarves

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Sleepwalker Animation Commissions WIP - Dwarves

Post by thespaceinvader »

You know this thing you're doing here?

Keep doing it it is awesome.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

It looks great, though I'm curious to see how you're going to add even more recoil for the dragonguard. Maybe by having thrown off his feet and do a backflip ? :mrgreen:
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Well, that is what I meant with avoiding ridiculousness, going overboard like having the dragonguard fly into the neighboring hex or something. :wink: I feel a backflip might be a bit too acrobatic for a dwarf... The way I want to do it will take into account a dwarven trait. That is being tough, tough enough to withstand the full recoil like a walking mortar stand. :P

I'm thinking of having the force be slightly downwards. When firing the gun would move the dwarf quite a bit backward despite having the guns stand and dwarves feet digging into the ground struggling to withstand the recoil. The big cloak will be flapping vigorously and I will try add some dust gusts and stuff. I might have the light from the muzzle flash brighter/ longer lasting too, we'll see.

But for now, here's another run.

EDIT: And blade attack.
Attachments
thunderguard-blade.gif
thunderguard-blade.gif (11.29 KiB) Viewed 17765 times
thunderguardBlade.rar
(81.84 KiB) Downloaded 766 times
thunderguardRun.rar
(89.93 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
thunderguard-run.gif
thunderguard-run.gif (11.61 KiB) Viewed 17854 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Ok that's the thunderguard wrapped up. :) Once again I have tested it all and as far as I can tell it works well. I made some tiny tweaks to the offsets of the thunderers muzzle flash too.

The thunderers recoil looks kind of weak now to me, as I have been staring at the thunderguard for quite a while...
Attachments
thunderer+guard.rar
(909.83 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
thunderguard-bob.gif
thunderguard-bob.gif (8.51 KiB) Viewed 17723 times
thunderguard-defend.gif
thunderguard-defend.gif (9.81 KiB) Viewed 17723 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

It turned into a pretty big animation, twice as big as normal, but it's nice. :P Obviously missing some stuff for now.
Attachments
dragonguard-ranged.gif
dragonguard-ranged.gif (20.2 KiB) Viewed 17586 times
- Nercy Masayon
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Good thing they only have 1 attack--makes amazing animations like this feasible ^_^

The only comment I have is that the dragon head doesn't seem to maintain it's perspective the whole way through, but that *could* largely be a shading thing. Peanut Gallery Out!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks. :D

No you are completely right and it is on purpose. The gun is knocked a bit sideways from the recoil due to the way he is holding the gun on his side. I thought it would be a cool thing. Perhaps it will look better now that I added the effects... Otherwise if you don't like it, well, I guess I'll have to redo some stuff. :|

I made the muzzle flash a little more fiery, fits with the dragon head of the gun... It could be behaving that way because of a different and more potent mixture of the gunpowder or something like that. :wink: Again, If you don't like it I will remove the lingering fire from the mouth.
Attachments
dragonguard-ranged2.gif
dragonguard-ranged2.gif (57.18 KiB) Viewed 17497 times
- Nercy Masayon
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The kinematics of the cloak don't work, I'm afraid - where's the wind coming from that blows it back? The gas from the expanding gunpowder shoots forward, and there's a strong impetus pushing the cloak in and around his body by the way HE's being blown back, so I just can't see how the cloak gets blown back.

Which is a shame, because it looks cool.

The fire is awesome btw.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

thespaceinvader wrote:The kinematics of the cloak don't work, I'm afraid - where's the wind coming from that blows it back?
It could be coming from the gun or the missile. The missile is launched from near the muzzle, or the missile explodes on impact - either would be believable enough, and the animation makes sense to me.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I'm glad you like the fire. :)

As for the cloak, it's something I have seen many times in animation. Granted it's usually some spell, big energy weapon, big cannon etc. thats causing a shockwave.

If there was no shockwave the cloak would still be flown back some by the body, though not flap around so much. In reality, depending on material and weight it might not move much, but none of wesnoths sprites or animations are really realistic.

Jetrel often have often spoken for exaggeration and having preference for what looks good... I'd like to see what he thinks.

What would you like to see for the other directions recoil-wise? I know I said I made the gun sway to the side because of the way he's holding the gun, but I'm thinking I could instead spice it up a bit (both for the game and for me working on it hehe) so it varies between angles. Say, S firing could make the gun move to the right instead of the SE's left. Or, being in the stage where I haven't started on it you might think it would be best to keep the gun straight all the way through instead... Any input?
- Nercy Masayon
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The rest of it all looks fine to me (great, actually), but the cloak billowing just doesn't fit with the rest of the movement.

Keep hold of that, though, because it'll probably come in useful for the melee anims.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The fighter line has been committed.
Sleepwalker wrote:I'm glad you like the fire. :)

As for the cloak, it's something I have seen many times in animation. Granted it's usually some spell, big energy weapon, big cannon etc. thats causing a shockwave.

If there was no shockwave the cloak would still be flown back some by the body, though not flap around so much. In reality, depending on material and weight it might not move much, but none of wesnoths sprites or animations are really realistic.

Jetrel often have often spoken for exaggeration and having preference for what looks good... I'd like to see what he thinks.
The cloak billowing is fine and good, in fact it's crazy not to do it.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Awesome. In addition to the flame, do you think it might be interesting to add a wisp/trail of smoke coming from the muzzle after the shot ?
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

It's been almost a month without an update, RL has tossed some spanners in the works but I'm still here... This animation is taking some time but I can post a WIP of the work so far.

Thanks for the commit, yeah, I think even if the billowing don't make 100% sense it improves the power of the animation too much to remove it.

Lordbob: I did have that in my thoughts. It would be relatively simple to put in.

EDIT: Updated. Just shadows and effects to go.
Attachments
dragonguard-rangedWIP2.gif
dragonguard-rangedWIP2.gif (64.11 KiB) Viewed 16833 times
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

And there... Finally done. Here's the four angles in all its glory. 8) No rar yet, need to fiddle and sync the Halos.
Attachments
dragonguard-ranged-SE.gif
dragonguard-ranged-SE.gif (51.35 KiB) Viewed 16807 times
dragonguard-ranged-S.gif
dragonguard-ranged-S.gif (45.89 KiB) Viewed 16807 times
dragonguard-ranged-NE.gif
dragonguard-ranged-NE.gif (49.08 KiB) Viewed 16807 times
dragonguard-ranged-N.gif
dragonguard-ranged-N.gif (49.26 KiB) Viewed 16807 times
- Nercy Masayon