Replacing the desert mountains

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Replacing the desert mountains

Post by doofus-01 »

I suppose one could be made, I didn't feel it was lacking at the time, I guess.
vultraz wrote:or should we remove that variant for dry mountains?
Is this supposed to replace the terrain/mountains/dry*? Or these retired things?
Spoiler:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Yes, this should serve as a replacement for terrains/mountains/dry*.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

In that case, I'd say let's forget about the "2X4" for now. I think it just requires commenting out two lines, if even that.
There will probably be suggestions/complaints when more people see the new images, we can go from there.

That's assuming this doesn't stay put until Jetrel drops by. Not sure what the plan is.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Jet already gave the greenlight to commit what we have, so I'll just go ahead and do that if no one objects.

EDIT: actually, there are some transition issues with hills:
Attachments
hillsproblem.PNG
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I can't test it until the weekend, but I assume it's because of those hills being excluded from the transitions.
terrain-graphics.cfg wrote: #
# > B A S E T R A N S I T I O N S. <
#

# The order mostly controls which overlap which, some
# TRANSITION_COMPLETE_Ls and varying layer numbers are used to make some
# special transitions to layer in more complex ways.
# Default layer ist -500, so anything layering above should be higher.

{TRANSITION_COMPLETE_L (Md,Mv) (!,Md,Hhd,Mv,W*,S*) -166 mountains/dry}

# Special mountain to dry/desert terrain trans
{TRANSITION_COMPLETE_LF (Hd,Hhd,Rb,Re,Rd,D*,Gd,Ha,A*,U*,Ql*)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I had an idea for variations; it's a rule for drawing on top of the mountains already submitted. The best way I can think to show it is this GIF, sorry for the large size. (EDIT: Removed the image, no need for me to be sorry anymore.)

It breaks up the repeating pattern better than the current mountain macros. There are some layering issues when it is used with those macros (can be seen best on the middle of three bottom-most blinking mountains), but I'm pretty sure it can be overcome with WML.
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 1st, 2016, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I like :D It certainly provides some variation. How is it implemented?
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

In several places in that screenshot alone, it's very visible how the extra peaks are just fading in out of nothing. If you want to make variations of certain tiles, how are the current macros lacking? As far as I can tell, all the mountain range macros (assuming you're using those) allow you to set the probability for the rule, meaning that you can already make as many variations of each one as you want.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

vultraz wrote:How is it implemented?
Very similar to current mountain macros, but more use of flags (not just one "set_no_flag={FLAG}" for everything). I'll give the WML when I've got something more complete.
zookeeper wrote:In several places in that screenshot alone, it's very visible how the extra peaks are just fading in out of nothing.
Yeah, I got a bit tired, wasn't sure it really mattered, since it might be fixable with WML.
zookeeper wrote:If you want to make variations of certain tiles, how are the current macros lacking?
Lack of control over base, and, more importantly, very minimal flag filtering. You can get a lot more mileage out of a number of images if you can mix & overlay them. If you have some say in how they interact with their neighbours, you can avoid bad transitions and clashes.

EDIT3: I think this just about works correctly now. Added some castle-adjacent, chasm transition, and swamp/water/ice transition images.
Updated screen shot:
image files and example WML:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I just published this on the BfW 1.13 server. If anyone notices anything, or there are any questions, you can either post here or PM me.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Other than fixing that one transition issue, this is great. The business with the "extra peaks fading in out of nothing" is less than optimal, but I wouldn't consider it a showstopper. Don't let it stop this from going in.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

As far as I can tell, you're skipping some of the existing macros so that you can set the m2x2 and m3x1 flags where you want them, but couldn't you just use the macros with base2,m2x2 and base2,m3x1 or whatever as the flags, and only need to spell out the rules which actually place the peak/high images?

I can't really tell whether it could be done in a better way because I can't really tell what you're intending to be drawn where.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:couldn't you just use the macros with base2,m2x2 and base2,m3x1 or whatever as the flags, and only need to spell out the rules which actually place the peak/high images?
Possibly, though I think there was some issue with sprites and the base= key when using the mountain macros, but I don't remember the details, unfortunately.
zookeeper wrote:I can't really tell whether it could be done in a better way because I can't really tell what you're intending to be drawn where.
What currently gets drawn is pretty much what I intended. If different WML yields something that looks similar, then no problem. The high peaks are supposed to show up north of the ranges & big peaks, if there's room and there isn't another one too close, but the 1x3 range seemed to have a layering issue, so that range can't be too close.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Okay... WML aside, the main thing visually that doesn't make sense to me is that the peaks are drawn on top of the mountains, whereas in all cases I've checked it looks like they were intended to be drawn behind them, because then they mesh together pretty much perfectly and look a lot better.

For example, in the attachment: the top one is what I get with your code, and the added peak with its little boulders seems like it's just floating there, whereas in the bottom one where it's drawn behind the mountain, the plateaus actually blend together and it looks much more organic, although a lot of the image remains hidden.
Attachments
doofus_desert_mountains_peaks_layering.png
doofus_desert_mountains_peaks_layering.png (98.12 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Well, I see what you mean, but I hardly noticed at the time and that seems like the worst one. A very quick edit just about fixes it (at least in my opinion), I could probably build on that this weekend, if it seems worth it.
mountains.png
mountains.png (153.97 KiB) Viewed 11169 times
Behind works, above should work, but either way is fine with me. Above covers more of the potentially repetitive patterns, but maybe behind does that well enough. The hidden part of the image might be good for some other transition. Behind might also automatically avoid the problem with the 1x3 range.