New bigmaps

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: New bigmaps

Post by LordBob »

The new border pattern is very good. It's elegant yet unobstrusive, simple, and at the same time very practical with the scale markers. Great work!

Regarding straight vs. perspective, I really don't have a preference. Maybe it's best to keep it straight if only to make the job easier for translators and avoid critical failures when tiling the background.

As for the forests and wind compass, I'd say leave them be : we want something that gives off the feeling of an old map, not a genuine, historically-accurate document. What matters the most is that it looks attractive to the eye of the viewer, which it currently does.

One last thing : aren't they a little dark ? At least that's how it looks against the background of the forums. Overall brighter levels would create more contrast with the writing and make it easier to read.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

All right, I've added perspective and displacement, made them slightly less dark, made the text sharper and decreased the amount of blurring overall, changed the appearance of roads and symbols slightly and made more border patterns so not every map needs to have the exact same one.

Unless there are major problems with the changes I've made that I haven't noticed, I think I'll call this the final iteration.
Attachments
final.png
final.png
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Looks good to go. Have you checked how they look against the background ? I'd rather make sure that 'map with perspective' vs 'flat background' still works
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Looks good to go. Have you checked how they look against the background ? I'd rather make sure that 'map with perspective' vs 'flat background' still works
No worries, the background will have the same perspective as the maps. That means that it can't be tiled, but that's not really a problem; it'll simply be wide enough that it doesn't need to tile and will be cropped when needed.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

There is a compass line near Clearwater Port that is running at the wrong angle. It's not a big deal, but I bet it will bug you when you notice.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

beetlenaut wrote:There is a compass line near Clearwater Port that is running at the wrong angle. It's not a big deal, but I bet it will bug you when you notice.
Nope, it might just look like it due to the shape of the coast.

In other news, I've finished replacements for all the mainline maps except LoW and DM (I haven't created new ones for NR, THoT, TB or UtBS though). None are committed quite yet because the journey markers need to be updated too, and doing that is going to be really annoying.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

HttT map has been committed, along with updated journey paths. The only difference to the version few posts up is the addition of Glamdrol.

EDIT: TSG map and paths, too.

EDIT: And SoF.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Updated the first post with final versions (except that they are jpg and a bit wider and have the background) of the first 10 mainline campaign maps.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I haven't been posting updates for every map commit, so here's ones that have been committed (along with new journey markers) since the last post: AOI, DiD, DW, TRoW, SotBE.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I've seen these new maps while testing with the latest dev release. Congratulations on this whole project, they're a huge step forward compared to the previous ones :)

Which brings to mind the subject of the title screen and logo, as has been mentionned in the art contribution forum. It would be really nice if we could pick up the revamp work where Sgt Groovy left it and wrap things up for the next stable release. I'm more than willing to give a hand for this, by the way.