Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Post by Darth Fool »

As described here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

it is now possible to define colors for a unit that will be replaced by the team color that the unit belongs to. To do this, however, we need to know what colors to swap. New graphics might conform to some standard (like using magenta and its shades), but for existing graphics, we need to know what colors to use. To this end, I am soliciting help in going through unit graphics and finding the rgb values associated with parts of the picture that should be changed to a team color. Generally, this should not be something like skin color or the color of a weapon, but rather things like the orcish bandannas, cloaks, etc...

people with svn access should just go ahead and make the change to the unit files. Others who wish to help should post to this thread with the form:

Code: Select all

unit_name 
flag_rgb=77,2,2,104,3,3,109,2,2,130,2,13,130,13,2,137,12,12,132,9,6 
where flag_rgb is a list of all rgb values (r1,g1,b1,r2,g2,b2, ...)

please make sure that you check all the graphics associated with a unit. Often times the animations use the same color scheme as the base image, but sometimes the colors in the animations are slightly different,which will cause the animations to not have the colors properly replaced.

Note that this has already been done for the Orcish_Sovereign if you want to see what it looks like in the cfg file.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I did the elvish: Captain, Marshal, Hero, and Champion, and commited to trunk. I chose the color of the headband, and the usually the cape.
Let me know if this worked.

Unfortunately most units will need to be modified somehow to take advantage of this. They just don't have anything which could be colorshifted. However this should be an easier task than animating.

...modifications to about 1,600 pngs. However, i don't see any reason to do this to monsters. They are not usually (from the player's perspective) on a "team"

IMO Higher level units (especially leaders) should generally show the most "team" color. Low level units who couldn't spend as much money on a uniform would have perhaps a scrap of colored cloth tied around their head/helmet. Sheilds are great (and historicaly accurate) places to paint team colors. This is a general way corresponds to how medieval armys would distinguish one from another (though heraldry got really complicated) Nearly naked units like Trolls might have colored armbands.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

It worked, very nicely on Marshalls, but for heroes, captains and champions, here is a small problem with the center of bandanas :
Attachments
Hero.png
Hero.png (29.81 KiB) Viewed 27135 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Noyga wrote:It worked, very nicely on Marshalls, but for heroes, captains and champions, here is a small problem with the center of bandanas :
Try adding 39,22,0 to the string. I fear that's close enough to their skin tone to start effecting it. we might have to artifically choose a color that a little closer to the rest of the red-oranges.

Kestevarn, i haven't had that problem with wesnoth images, but when i face it at work, often i can get them to load in graphics converter. (mac only i think).
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Some coloring ideas:

Drake Burner,Fighter: Armor color
Drake Clasher: Weapon color
Dwarvish Guardsman: marks on the spear
Dwarvish Ulfserker: Color of whatever that red thing is
Elvish Archer, Scout: Cap color
Fencer: Cape color
Cavalryman, Spearman, Heavy Infantryman, Bowman, etc: Marks on armor (like an army uniform that tells whose side you're on)
Outlaws: Nothing :P
Gryphon Rider: Shoulder armor color
Horseman: The whole suit of armor
Sergeant line: Keep the color of the cape and knees, but change the color of the crest and shield.
Saurians: Skin color ;)
Naga: Sword color, since it's wierd already
Orc Archer: outfit color (what's blueish on the level 1 archer)
Orc Grunt, Leader: The cape (or get rid of the silly cape on the Grunt and pick something else)
Sea Orc: the whole thing
Skeletons: The color of whatever that is that they're wearing
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I'd like the red parts of the drake armour to be the team colour representation on the burner, flare, flameheart and theentire fighter line,
I think that the loincloth and bracers are the most obvious part to modify on all other drakes.

By the way, does this mean we'll soon have pink ghosts?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I don't know if it is a good idea to change the colour of saurians. It would be odd to see that they can change their colour. It would look like they are not the same animals.

You can colour mages' belt.

Mudcrawlers: nothing

You can colour orcish grunt's (is it its hair? the thing that look like rubans on this head, that are orange, floating above its head)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Mudcrawler = eyes. :lol:
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

I also team-color enabled the elvish: fighter, and the L2 and L3 archers.
The necromancer and dark sorcerer, the lancer and grand knight.

These were some of the easiest to do, i confess.

Many of the Loyalists would be pretty easy to do, but the color of the plume, pretty consistantly denotes rank. I don't think that should change.
Attempting Lucidity
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I quess the work with the necromancer and the dark sorcerer was for no avail. They were supposed to be replaced.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

wayfarer wrote:I quess the work with the necromancer and the dark sorcerer was for no avail. They were supposed to be replaced.
No, wayfarer, they still will be. Stop worrying. I have a lot of work to do on them, though, before I commit them, and I'm only working on some hundred or so distinct projects for wesnoth right now...

:? I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to that yet, but I'd be a lot more sorry if I started failing classes.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

wayfarer wrote:I quess the work with the necromancer and the dark sorcerer was for no avail. They were supposed to be replaced.
It only took a few minutes each. And it will take even less to undo. I call it: "testing."
Attempting Lucidity
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Some basic principles of how Team Coloring should be done that Jetryl ascribed to in an IRC conversation we had: ("TeamColor" is henceforth abreviated "TColor")

1) Color should (usually) not be the major distinction between units.
The old Elvish Captain / Marshal is a violates this. It's bad game design anyway. Units like this will need Additional edits to take TColors well. Units like the Paladin are a legit use of color for differentiation.

2) TColor should be found in predictable places.
Different unit lines will show TColor in different places, but similar units should show it in similar places. For instance it would be bad/confusing for a L1 to have only TColor boots, the L2 to have only a TColor scarf, and the L3 to have a TColor Shield.

3) Leaders should usually show a lot of Team color.
Because they want to be noticed and rally their troops.

4) TColor will not be applied to "Hero" units like Konrad, Li'Sar, and Defador.
These units always belong to the same team, so there's not reason to do a special process to make they sport their TColor. Of course the campaign designer can if he/she wants to, but in general there's no compelling reason to do so.
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I definetly violated rule #2 several times already in the few units with team colours I made so far; but with good reason!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Some current stuff - I'll be posting all of my work on this specific project here: