Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Post by Blarumyrran »

The size looks fine to me. But being so gray, it looks Stoned. Maybe more blue or black or white?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Orcish Shamans X 3 (designed, roughly, after the portraits) and Dwarvish Miner - I will be animating eventually, but probably not soon.
Attachments
miner.png
miner.png (2.12 KiB) Viewed 12523 times
novice-shaman.png
novice-shaman.png (2.49 KiB) Viewed 12523 times
shaman.png
shaman.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 12523 times
elder-shaman.png
elder-shaman.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 12523 times
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Just a reminder that the fire effect should probably be as a halo, etc etc you probably already know that.

Apart from that, the young shaman looks like he's leaning too far farward. I see the effect you wanted (I think) but it looks unbalanced... :/

I like these alot, and glad work is going into changing them! The staffs look much better/more uniform than your last iteration!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

EDIT: Oh also, your shadows are (35,0,85) instead of (22,0,53).
Last edited by Blarumyrran on January 22nd, 2010, 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

@Blarumyrran: the face has become a tad more inscrutable, but otherwise that's a solid improvement IMO. Specific kickback:
Attachments
miner.png
miner.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 12461 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Thrawn wrote:Just a reminder that the fire effect should probably be as a halo, etc etc you probably already know that.

Apart from that, the young shaman looks like he's leaning too far farward. I see the effect you wanted (I think) but it looks unbalanced... :/
Would do, but currently can't use TC on haloes - the fire is currently team colour. It may not actually look that good in game, in which case i will change it. The young shaman's stance it based on the archer, but I think the head is rotated round a little too far, and may require a little fiddling.

I think the face remains a little inscrutable to be honest - although the thunderer's face is the one of the dwarves I like the best, apart from the slightly iffy beard, hence using it as a base - on both of the new versions (the rest of which look great) i think that the face has simply slipped too far down the head - if you work out where the eyes are with relation to the top of the head and chin, they seem to be about 3/4 of the way down the face, and the mouth has dropped offd the bottom and is just hovering in the beard...

And the helm was specifically intended to ape miners' helmets ;) hence having a distinct peak.

I picked the shadow colours off a mainline unit (not sure which one, though) so somewhere out there is a mainline unit using the wrong colours...
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I just had a look at the problem of TC in haloes. (1.7.x)

it might be possible to do something in time for 1.8, but there are some major caveats, so I need to discuss it with the art devs beforehand

a proper (and less dangerous) fix might be workable for 1.9
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

A death knight level up. Just blowing off steam with the dragon.
I was getting pretty desperate with the axe shaft and this messy thing is the best solution I came up with.
Attachments
Anewdeathknight.png
Anewdeathknight.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 12253 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

It's too much of a cyborg... a death knight should have some significant resemblance to an armored medieval guy.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Well, I agree now that you say it. :|
But I'll leave it be like it is. Let someone make it pretty/usable if they find time and motivation to do so.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Very shiny and awesome (and extremely in keeping with the Chocobone) but I don't think it really works as a continuation of any of the current undead lines - it's simply too shiny and gold. I really hope this makes its way into UMC, though. VERY nice, just...not quite right.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

thespaceinvader wrote:I really hope this makes its way into UMC, though. VERY nice, just...not quite right.
I can always use baseframe placeholders. ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Very shiny and awesome (and extremely in keeping with the Chocobone) but I don't think it really works as a continuation of any of the current undead lines - it's simply too shiny and gold. I really hope this makes its way into UMC, though. VERY nice, just...not quite right.

Yeah, this, especially that axe, is just badass; it doesn't look like part of the current undead faction, but it does look like a great 'dungeon monster' to fight against. And we need those, by and large.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I have all the frames for the direwolver done, I just need to 1] fix shadows on the idle anim, 2]detail some of the black missing sections I drew in (although leaving some black for shadow is a nice accident) and 3] make the rider's anim for the idle anim.

Tomorrow.
The size looks fine to me. But being so gray, it looks Stoned. Maybe more blue or black or white?
I also decided this crit wasn't worth hacking over, since 99% of the time, it'll be seen with the obviously-not-stoned rider, because stoning is incredibly rare, and last-but-not least, the entire restriction is just too expensive. Not using grey ever is as crazy as never using blue or red, it's just too basic of a color, and there are quite a few things in nature that just plain are grey, and will look funny if we bend them too far away.
Attachments
direwolf-idle.gif
direwolf-idle.gif (7.51 KiB) Viewed 11759 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jetrel wrote:I have all the frames for the direwolver done, I just need to 1] fix shadows on the idle anim, 2]detail some of the black missing sections I drew in (although leaving some black for shadow is a nice accident) and 3] make the rider's anim for the idle anim.

Tomorrow.
:) I like keeping promises. Committed.

:| Anyways, not sure what's next. There is obviously the pillager to do, I'm just hesitant because the combination of fire and the net is gonna be a lot of work, since I'd prefer (for the first time ever) to get this unit done right. The fire is mostly going to come courtesy of rhyging's work here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 81#p398581

:hmm: Actually what I'm leaning towards atm is; since we've only got 1-ish frame placeholders for the attacks at the moment, I may just leave those as is in order to get this in 1.8, and finish off real animations for later trunk. Most especially, I think I'll leave out the flame+breathing/standing animation, because that'd tend to look a bit out of place due to how few similar animations were done in that release.