Imperial Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Re: Imperial Era

Post by Temuchin Khan »

A few years ago, I suggested a new Arendian unit, a swimmer. No one took me up on that idea at the time, but this week i had another idea for a similar sort of unit. If anyone is interested in giving the Arendians a true water unit rather than having the horse archer swim in deep water, here it is. All it still needs is art, which unfortunately I can't provide.

Code: Select all

Wave Rider	-> Far Striker		-> Salt Chief
		-> Fleet Swimmer
                -> Deep Stalker

Arendian Swimmer Movetype

Resistances

Blade		100	(= 0)
Impact		100	(= 0)
Cold		 120	(= 20)
Pierce		80	(= -20)
Fire		 120	(= 20)
Arcane		100	(= 0)

Movement

Terrain	Movement Cost	Defense
	Castle	        1	60%
	Cave	        3	30%
	Coastal Reef	2	60%
	Deep Water	1	40%
	Fake Shroud	‒	0%
	Flat	        2	40%
	Forest	        2	40%
	Frozen	        2	30%
	Fungus	        2	40%
	Hills	         2	40%
	Mountains	 3	50%
	Sand	         2	40%
	Shallow Water	1	50%
	Swamp	        2	50%
	Unwalkable	‒	0%
	Village	        1	60%

Wave Rider (lvl 1)

Some Arendians are nomads of a different sort.  They have devised inflatable rafts made of animal bladders and other
natural materials and use them to wander the seas.  Popularly known as Wave Riders, their skills make them a valuable
addition to the tribal levies in times of war.

Information

Advances from: 	‒
Advances to: 	Far Striker, Fleet Swimmer, Deep Stalker
Cost: 	12
HP: 	28
Moves: 	5
XP: 	32
Level: 	1
Alignment: 	lawful
Id: 	Arendian Swimmer
Abilities: 	-
Attacks (damage × count)
Spear		6 x 3 pierce melee first strike
Spear		7 x 2 pierce ranged

Far Striker (lvl 2)

As they gain experience, many Wave Riders hone their skills with the raft and the spear.  They are honored as Far
Strikers, and continue to prove their usefulness in both peace and war.

Information

Advances from: 	Wave Rider
Advances to: 		Salt Chief
Cost: 	24
HP: 	35
Moves: 	6
XP: 	80
Level: 	2
Alignment: 	Lawful
Abilities: 	-
Attacks (damage × count)
Spear		7 x 3 pierce melee first strike
Spear		9 x 2 pierce ranged

Fleet Swimmer (lvl 2)

Some Wave Riders forgo their rafts to improve their swimming skills.  Known as Fleet Swimmers, they easily
encircle most enemies.

Information

Advances to: 	-
HP: 	35
Moves: 	7
XP: 	150
Alignment: 	Neutral
Abilities: 	Skirmisher
Attacks (damage × count)
Dagger		6 x 2 blade melee backstab

Deep Stalker (lvl 2)

Some Wave Riders forgo their rafts to improve their breath-holding and diving skills.  Known as Deep Stalkers, they also
serve as aquatic spies and assassins.

Information

HP: 	37
Moves: 	6
Alignment: 	Neutral
Abilities: 	Submerge
Attacks (damage × count)
Harpoon	10 x 2 pierce melee
Harpoon	18 x 1 pierce ranged

Salt Chief (lvl 3)

The most experienced Far Strikers are entrusted with command of a flotilla.  Such a one is respectfully known
as a Salt Chief.

Information

Advances from: 	Far Striker
Cost: 	30
HP: 	42
Moves: 	7
Level: 	3
Alignment: 	Lawful
Abilities: 	Leadership
Attacks (damage × count)
Spear		9 x 3 pierce melee first strike
Spear		11 x 2 pierce ranged
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I should really get around to an overhaul of the Arendians and Issaelfr some time, huh? It's only been on my to-do list for...eight years. Gees, we could really do with a maintainer around here.

Personally, I like that the Arendians (and to some extent the Sidhe) don't have strong water control, as I like the flavour of factions having actual strengths and weaknesses instead of the tendency for each to feel just like reskins of each other, but I'll look at incorporating something like this design for folks to try it out if you could write it up in a cfg format.

If anyone has any ideas for an additional unit line for the Lavinians or Sidhe I'd be interested too. They've only got five unit types each and I think one more would help avoid the battles being quite so samey.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote: September 18th, 2020, 6:56 pmPersonally, I like that the Arendians (and to some extent the Sidhe) don't have strong water control, as I like the flavour of factions having actual strengths and weaknesses instead of the tendency for each to feel just like reskins of each other,
Well, these proposals could always be tweaked. Maybe something as simple as this:

Breath Diver (lvl1) -> Deep Stalker (lvl 2)
but I'll look at incorporating something like this design for folks to try it out if you could write it up in a cfg format.
Probably can't do much more until mid-October, but when the time comes I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Added possible stats for Breath Diver & Deep Stalker. And honestly, I'm leaning toward going with this more simplified version of the unit. I l too like the idea of preserving the Arendians' uniqueness.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Well, I had a little more time over the weekend than I thought I would, so attached are the cfg’s for the simpler version of an Arendian Diver. It is unique among Imperial Era units because it is (a) the only IE humanoid water unit not carrying a boat or riding an animal, (b) the only IE water unit with pierce melee, (c) the only IE water unit with skirmisher, (d) the only IE unit with both skirmisher and submerge, (e) the only non-animal IE water unit line capped at level 2. Furthermore, because it is capped at level 2, it maintains the Arendians’ character as a primarily land-based faction with only a weak presence at sea.

Arendian Diver Unit.zip
(25.57 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

Unwise Owl also mentioned updating the Issaelfr. As their original designer, I can say that I should have given them a scout. Ever since Unwise Owl gave them the falcon, though, this has been fixed. However, I do wonder if we should buff the seals by giving them submerge. What do you guys think?

Unwise Owl also asked if anyone has ideas for adding units to the Lavinians or the Sidhe. Here are my thoughts:

For the Sidhe, I’m not sure. The Extended Era long since added two new Sidhe unit lines, the bears and the hoarfrosters. I even wrote the hoarfroster line’s unit descriptions, so arguably IE already has a claim on them, if we want to use them. On the other hand, we might not want to use them. It might make them too much like the Issaelfr, what with the snow magic and the trained animals. I can’t think of any other new Sidhe units right now.

As for the Lavinians, I think we once considered making a Nemidian Elephant Rider. The Highlanders from the Era of Four Moons and the Arabian Nights from the Arabian Nights Era both have elephant units, either of which could give us ideas.

O.K., now barring the unexpected I really shouldn’t have time for Wesnoth until mid-to-late October!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I included an updated Various file. The new unit will only work if the old Various file gets replaced by the new one.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

O.K. Now I have some time again. I have reconsidered the Arendian diver line cfg's, nerfed their attacks just a little, eliminated a few bugs, and eliminated the idea of having different art for land and sea because I couldn't get it working.

So here is the streamlined version:
Arendian Diver files.zip
(23.11 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Any chance of getting this into the next update, Unwise Owl?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Sure. I don't have an ETA for the next version, but I'll try and get something out soon.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote: October 14th, 2020, 6:33 pm Sure. I don't have an ETA for the next version, but I'll try and get something out soon.
Thank you!

But what do you and the others think of also givong submerge to the Issaelfr seals? They and the Arendian divers would still be distinct because the divers would only get it when they advance and because the divers have skirmisher, but it would be fitting for the seals to have it, too.

What do you think? Yes? No? Supporting arguments? Counter-arguments?
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hi guys, I found something interesting in the era. Several units are using an ancient WML sound called get_hit_sound=. It's been gone since circa 1.4. The Falcon has it as does the warmage. The latter also has a DEFENSE_ANIM so it is ok but the falcon is soundless.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Ugh. You don't know how many of those I've edited out over the years. The joys of a truly ancient era, I guess.
Thanks for the report. I'll add fixing those to my next release. Don't know when that'll be, though, my wesnoth stuff seems to be on a bit of a hiatus at the moment.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

UnwiseOwl wrote: February 26th, 2021, 11:13 pm Ugh. You don't know how many of those I've edited out over the years. The joys of a truly ancient era, I guess.
Thanks for the report. I'll add fixing those to my next release. Don't know when that'll be, though, my wesnoth stuff seems to be on a bit of a hiatus at the moment.
Ancient but awesome. :) IIRC I've submitted some fixes on github for this era? I suppose I could do this, seeing as I brought it up, hehe. Might as well take advantage of the fresh enthusiasm of a newcomer... <grin>
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

What was the era with Caledonians ?
(Not sure of the name), it was a faction based on Ancient Greek units.
This would be an ideal faction to add to the imperial era.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Yomar wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:00 pm What was the era with Caledonians ?
(Not sure of the name), it was a faction based on Ancient Greek units.
This would be an ideal faction to add to the imperial era.
There was a planned ancient Greek faction called the Dardans in the Classical Era, the period of time before the Imperial Era, but as far as I know apart from a few bits of art here and there (I think Vranca did a little art) they weren't really fleshed out as a concept. I'm not really interested in adding another faction to the IE right now as we really just need to try to balance the seven factions that we already have, but I love the enthusiasm.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Ok, just or your info, l I did some research, and its a complete era called Calydonians, the last version could be found on the Wesnoth Italian Forum in the download section, but now the site is dead.
There is still an older version present in the Ageless era.

I also have a question, I rememer the Levinian Legionnaire having 50% def. on flat in an older version of the Imperial era, am I right ?
I remember, because I tought it made sense, since Romans were stronger in open field battles.
But I guess it was changed due to blancing reasons.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Yes, that's right, we changed it because it was just too hard to hit them. They used to have 50% (and they still do in single player for now). These days they have the formation ability instead, which gives them boosted defences if they're in formation with other legionaries.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Good to see IE updated for Wesnoth 1.16! Also, I have again revised my proposed Arendian swimmers. I changed the level 1 unit's name to Far Swimmer, removed Submerge from the level 2, gave the level 2 Backstab, and increased both their attack damage. I have also removed the Bowrider's ability to swim in deep water.

I also revised the Issaelfr Seals and gave them Submerge.

Here are he revised files. As before, delete the corresponding files from IE and replace them with these:
revised IE files.zip
(31.34 KiB) Downloaded 48 times