The Deep Elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: The Deep Elves

Post by Kwandulin »

Uploaded a small patch of the deep elves to 1.13.7 and 1.12.x: Irr is now level 3 and the seer's implosion now has an explosion sound.
ForestDragon wrote: 2.every unit in the faction doesn't have the '{MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}' macro. fix this.
7.change Minotaur's level to 1
{MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} isn't needed anymore, as it is set by default. And the Minotaur is intentionally a level 2 unit
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Still required for 1.12 versions.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

v.1.0
  • added several hit effects, mostly for sword attacks and trample
  • added recruit/recall animation
Besides the missing unit description, the faction is pretty much done. Can't convince myself to do the unit descriptions now, though.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

v1.1 (for 1.13.x only)
  • added some full portraits (Blood Maiden, Vengeance, Seer, Vault Lurker, Irr)
  • Stardust ability now also works on offense
  • fixed the recall/recruit animation of the Night Stalker
  • changed the halo of the Irr
  • the Irr has now the illuminate ability (don't put her next to Night Stalkers!)
Also I am trying to fix the trample ability. If a unit is killed with the trample special, the killer does not get any XP. Does anybody know how to fix that? Seems like the action wml in the event somehow "breaks" the ordinary xp-giveaway routine . . .

Edit:
Managed to manually give XP:
v1.11 (for 1.13.x only)
  • killing units with trample now grants XP
  • adjusted Shadow Tyr'Hai's sprite position
Last edited by Kwandulin on May 21st, 2017, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kwandulin wrote:Also I am trying to fix the trample ability. If a unit is killed with the trample special, the killer does not get any XP. Does anybody know how to fix that? Seems like the action wml in the event somehow "breaks" the ordinary xp-giveaway routine . . .
So apparently XP is given after attack end events, but is it given before or after a die event? If it's before then just use a die event instead, but if it's after then your only option is probably to manually edit the unit's XP.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

v.1.2 (for 1.13.x only)
  • Priestress line has now arcane damage
  • new sprite for the Seer
  • new unit: Harbinger, a L4 advancement of the Patroness
  • new unit: Tyr'Hai Siegebreaker, a L3 advancement of the Tyr'Hai Cavalry
  • improved the Patroness' damage
Attachments
harbinger.png
harbinger.png (4.16 KiB) Viewed 10264 times
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Kwandulin wrote:{MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} isn't needed anymore, as it is set by default.
Maybe in 1.13.x/1.12.6, but 1.12.5 at least needs it. I took the liberty of adding the line {MAGENTA_IS_TEAM_COLOR} to the bloodmaiden and took screenshots.
Comparison (click to enlarge)
Without {MAGENTA_IS_TEAM_COLOR}
Without {MAGENTA_IS_TEAM_COLOR}
With {MAGENTA_IS_TEAM_COLOR}
With {MAGENTA_IS_TEAM_COLOR}
If you don't think it needs fixing, I can just edit the unit files on my computer :)
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Yeah, I think it does need fixing, but I don't feel like working on the 1.12 version in the face of the 1.14 release. The problem will solve itself then.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hi, I was viewing the deep elves faction since yesterday, also I think that there are several stuff to be done to upgarade the balance on it.

1.- -> Bloodmaiden dealing 7-4 blade damage is almost lv2 damage (also with that special it is Lv2 damage after killing the first exemplar of a unit). Also 7 Movement looks too much, it's quicker than calvarymen just because of its movement costs.
Sugestion: Making her 6-4 blade mele and 6 MP and mantaining her other stats intact.
1.2.- -> Vengance can mantain her 9-4 and 7 Movement considering she has almost Lv1 hp.

2.- -> Lidh stardust is extremely a STRONG special. Most units in default era are 2-4 strikes which means a damage loss of between 50% and 25% depending the amount of their strikes. Also, when I tested her againist thunderers they ended being 6-1 blade mele and 18-0 when Lidh defends. Maybe if you could increase enemy's cth by +10% but lossing one strike could work. Also, increasing her price too as well, maybe. She can beat an ulfeseker so easly.
Sugestion: Stardust increasing enemy cth by +10% at the cost of one of their strikes, making Lidh a bit more expensive (between 16g and 18g). Also her damages are both ARCANE, consider this at their pricing.
2.1.- -> Phade her damages looks also a bit too high ... maybe 9-2 mele sounds rasonable. Also her at being arcane at both ranges she is abusive againist undead units.
2.2.- -> Irr 58 hp +stardust is somehow tank, could say more than royal guards are... on this case I would recomend to lower mele damage from 16-2 to maybe 11-2. Just maybe, health to 52.

3.- I see no problem that Vault lurker could be 9-4 blade mele. I find rest of her line fine.

4.- -> Priestess of the Vault ¿¿?? compared to Lidh... no specials, same damage, no arcane damage, less health, -1 novement and costing more than Lidh? looks wrong. She can cost 14g and Maybe Lidh 17g or maybe 18g.
All her advancements looks fine.
5.- -> Ty'h Rider ... Concerning to Trample atacks... unlike charge Trample does not increase damage taken when atacking. From my sight lv1 unit with trample should not do more damage than charge being used. You can mind changing Trample damage from 14-1 to 9-1 maybe, I just hear bones crushing with the previous stats... (it was 17-3 againis undead's skeletons lol). Maybe lower spear damage to 4-4 ot 5-4. Also, depending of their damage output reprice to 21-23g.
5.1-> Black Tyr'hai my reaction of seing it's damages was like "... SERIOUSLY?..." ... probably the most overpowered unit I've seen in much time. Would sugest to change bite damage to 7-4 and Trample to ... 12-1... and still it's as strong than Default Knights... but trample does not increase damage taken when used.
5.1.1.-> Shadow Tyr'Hai same than in black tyr'hai, lower damages. Fangs damage to maybe 10-4 and trample damage from 32-1 to 16-1 ... (I just don't want to imagine it being 32-3 when atacks... WOW... kills another Lv3 if landing the 3 strikes in ONE round !!)
5.2.- ->Ty'h Rider Calvary on this case, only trample damage is the problem with this unit. Why would you use 11-2 charge (22-2 while atack) to take x2 damage if on atack you can be 18-3 impact damage without extra damage taken? sounds ridicolous the charge atack in the actuality. Trample damage to 11-1 (would be 11-3 at atack, considering that it's IMPACT damage, it will be profitable to use it againist units like undead).

Well, there are no exact values at here considering the lots balance irregularities at here, being less precise than usually I would be... because of too drastic changes in stats/repricements. but I'm completely sure that if aplicated any of my sugested changes or at least considering the feedback into your new stats, balance would be massively improved.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

If I am not mistaken, the trample special is supposed to make the defender not retaliate on offense, looks like you have another addon with a 'trample' special (I think it might be A Whim of Fate, not sure)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
IPS

Post by IPS »

Then it's an ID conflict with Era of Four Moon's elephans.

When you adquire any Ageless era or Era of Four Moons, you obtain elephant riders with a skill named "Trample" which adds +2 strikes when atacking and also, if the unit kills the defender it places himself in that tile.

In game it tells me what you did describe to me, but when I go to Unit Description and click over Trample special I do see the description of Elephant's Riders Trample.

Game showing correctly Trample special mentionated by ForestDragon
Spoiler:
Unit Description -> Trample describes other unit's trample special
Spoiler:
So, mentioning to that case, it's just ID conflict due 2 diferent specials with the exact name and ID.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

The one in ageless is called AE_efm_trample, with double prefix, so Ageless cannot be blamed. And EFM one also has prefix. And with deep elves using one without prefix, they are all different.

Names have 2 different forms, _"Trample" in EFM, _"trample" here and in ageless.

So, if something still breaks, it seems to be something more than just ids.

Re https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/1774
Last edited by Ravana on August 19th, 2017, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add issue link
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks for the suggestions! While some of them have already been included in the 1.13.x version, I'll consider the other suggestions for further updates. I still don't agree with the suggestions regarding the Bloodmaiden: she indeed has a high damage output, but then again she has only 28 hitpoints and in most cases you won*t be able to attack twice without healing, because she suffers so hard from retaliation. Or your enemy is just recruiting dark adepts, in which case he has a big problem.

Recently, I also released a campaign for the deep elves: Nightfall.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Deep Elves v.1.3 (1.13.x only)
  • Dropped support for BfW 1.12
  • Removed Tyr'Hai Siegebreaker
  • Floating deep elves can now actually fly over unwalkable tiles (Matriarch, Patron, Harbinger, Seer, Irr, Seeker)
  • Apply touch animation to Seer
  • Priestress/Matriarch/Patron/Harbinger have different touch and faerie fire animation
  • Added Harbinger and Seer bob animation
  • Improve Seer's crystal ball + implosion animation
  • Night Stalker / Baroness have shorter attack animation
  • Tyr'Hai Rider/Cavalry now have a pierce strike gfx
  • more convincing ram attack of the minotaur
  • Added Minotaur fist strike gfx
  • Renamed some unit weapons
  • Fixed ability descriptions
  • Moved the abilities to macros
  • Seer has the Will of Shassagoth weapon special. Whenever she kills someone with the Implosion attack, she gains +2 damage on that attack.
  • Decreased Blood Maiden's attack damage by 1
  • Reduced Blood Maiden's movespeed by 1
  • Increased Lidh recurit cost to 18g
  • Reduced Phade's melee attack to 9-2
  • Reduced Irr's melee damage to 11-2
  • Reduced Irr's hitpoints to 48
  • Increased Vault Lurkers' melee to 9-4
  • Reduced recruit cost of the Priestress of the Vault to 15g
  • Reduced Tyr'Hai Rider's spear damage to 5-4
  • Reduced Tyr'Hai's trample damage to 9-1
  • Increased Tyr'hai Rider's cost to 21g
  • Reduced Black Tyr'Hai's trample damage to 14-1
  • Reduced Black Tyr'Hai's bite damage to 7-4
  • Reduced Shadow Tyr'Hai's bite damage to 10-4 and trample to 19-1
  • Reduced Tyr'Hai Cavalry*s spear damage to 9-3
  • Reduced Tyr'Hai Cavalry's trample damage to 12-1
  • Harbinger has now a line attack
  • Replaced Minotaur charge with knockback
  • Blood Maiden Line overhaul: improved sprites
  • Blood Maiden Line overhaul: added L3, the Seeker
  • Blood Maiden Line overhaul: changed hunter ability so it only applies once.
  • Blood Maiden Line overhaul: Seeker has a stronger hunter ability than the Vengeance; Vengeance has a stronger hunter ability than the Blood Maiden.
Attachments
bloodmaiden-line.png
bloodmaiden-line.png (6.26 KiB) Viewed 9558 times
Harbinger. Screenshot is from a major, yet unreleased overhaul of the Nightfall campaign
Harbinger. Screenshot is from a major, yet unreleased overhaul of the Nightfall campaign
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

This faction is way too much of a coinflip, if they win they steamroll the opponent, if they lose they are the one getting steamrolled.
just my 2c.