[store_unit_defense]

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Argesilao2

[store_unit_defense]

Post by Argesilao2 »

How it works exactly the tag [store_unit_defense] in 1.15.6, if it works? :hmm:
Please, don't send me to the wiki page; A simple example that works is welcome. :eng:
if the tag doesn't work, it's better to indicate it, or to remove the tag from the wiki page, or change the instructions; someone could waste hours trying to make it work. :annoyed:
Thank you! ^_^
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: [store_unit_defense]

Post by octalot »

I've just tried to write a unit test for it, and think it's had a typo in it since 1.15.3.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

store_unit_defense seems broken in 1.15. Might want to open a github ticket for it.
It works on 1.14

Code: Select all

[event]
                name=moveto
                first_time_only=no
                [filter]
                        side=1
                [/filter]

[store_unit_defense]
                        x,y=$x1,$y1
                        loc_x,loc_y=$x1,$y1
                        variable=mydefense
                [/store_unit_defense]

[message]
                        speaker=unit
                        message=_"My defense is $mydefense|"
                [/message]
                #{CLEAR_VARIABLE mydefense}
        [/event]
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Bugfix and example/unit test: #5246
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

@vghetto: thanks for the attemps, but I'm writing a campaign for the 1.15 version, and it doesn't work.

@octalot: well, at least now I know that I can't use this tag. I'll try something different; thanks for the warning.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

Are you trying to check the unit's defense on a particular tile, or are you trying to check its defense on a particular terrain type?

I had some ideas, and I've now actually written up some little code samples, so you don't have to answer that question after all. Except inside your own head.

Inside any StandardUnitFilter (that's what you write in the [filter] section of an event, or to specify who dies inside a [kill] tag, or whatever) you can write defense= to filter based on what terrain defense the unit has on the tile that it is standing on at the time. This uses the "backwards" definition of defense that the movetypes do, where the "defense" value is actually how likely a unit is to get hit, rather than how likely he is to dodge. Here's a little example.

[event]
    name=moveto
    [filter]
        side=1
        defense=70,80,90  # The event will fire if the unit is on side 1 and the unit's defense is any of these values.
    [/filter]
    [message]
        speaker=unit
        message= _ "This terrain is terrible!  Couldn't you find me a nice, defensible spot?"
    [/message]
[/event]
Here's another sample event. This version can be used in more places, but it only tells you about the unit's movetype. It doesn't actually process to tell you what defense the unit gets on its current tile. (Note that the complicated-looking equation, $(100 - $unit.defense.shallow_water|), is to convert it into the format most casual Wesnoth players will expect. Just like the other one, if $unit.defense.shallow_water| is a large number, the unit is likely to be hurt while standing there.)

[event]
    name=moveto
    [filter]
        side=1
    [/filter]
    [message]
        speaker=unit
        message= _ "I have $(100 - $unit.defense.shallow_water|)% defense in shallow water.  Keep that in mind when I reach the river."
    [/message]
[/event]
If you do this one, let me give you a quote from the wiki:
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/UnitsWML#.5Bmovetype.5D wrote: Default keys for the [movement_costs], [vision_costs], and [defense] tags are deep_water, shallow_water, reef, swamp_water, flat, sand, forest, hills, mountains, village, castle, cave, frozen, unwalkable, fungus, and impassable.
There are a couple other things that may also come up when using the $unit.defense.terrain| version:
If the unit has no defined defense on that terrain, it will just show a blank. For example, if you tweaked my example, you might get something like this:
A Wesnoth Unit wrote: I have % defense in impassable.
Certain units have negative defense values. For example, the horseman's says "-70". A negative defense value means that if the unit is on that terrain, the defense can never be better. A horseman has 40% defense on flat terrain, so you would expect him to have 40% on forest (which usually takes the better of the two terrain defense values), but he actually has 30% because of that "-" in the terrain defense section of his movetype. If you have any situations where it might become relevant, you should take this into account.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Pilauli wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:16 pm Inside any StandardUnitFilter (that's what you write in the [filter] section of an event, or to specify who dies inside a [kill] tag, or whatever) you can write defense= to filter based on what terrain defense the unit has on the tile that it is standing on at the time.
I was ignorant of this possibility; It will allow me to solve my problem with ease. :D

Thank you very much. ;)