Using [harm_unit] within a cut-scene

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Using [harm_unit] within a cut-scene

Post by WhiteWolf »

Well, just in case, here's what it would look like though. I tested it, and this works correctly for me now. That said, I've had my issues with it back in the day (and this is a mainline campaign, not even an add-on), and I don't know what caused it, I don't know if it's fixed or was just specific to that one laptop I had back then... so no idea.
Anyway, this did work for me now:

Code: Select all

[animate_unit]
	flag=attack
	[filter]
		x,y=5,4
	[/filter]
	[primary_attack]
		name=pincers
	[/primary_attack]
	[secondary_attack]
		name=pincers
	[/secondary_attack]
	hits=yes
	text= _ "<span color='red'>4</span>"
	[facing]
		x,y=6,4
	[/facing]
	[animate]
		flag=defend
		[filter]	
			x,y=6,4
		[/filter]
		[primary_attack]
			name=dagger
		[/primary_attack]
		[secondary_attack]
			name=pincers
		[/secondary_attack]
		hits=yes
		[facing]
			x,y=5,4
		[/facing]
	[/animate]
[/animate_unit]
You could copy-paste it, it might be worth a try and see if it works for you.

I don't know of a way to make the "ugh" sound play at the right time. You can play it before or after [harm_unit] with [sound], but that doesn't make much sense probably.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Wesnoth doesn't like those pincers, huh?
set both primary and secondary to range=melee and nothing else, you'll get your animation on both but it'll be the sting attack for the scorpion. I agree with WhiteWolf, it looks like a bug.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

That's automatically bundled into his animation. You could probably also use [play_sound], if memory serves.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

WhiteWolf wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:33 pm Well, just in case, here's what it would look like though. I tested it and this works correctly for me now.
It works! Thank you. The doomed orc now has a defend animation, and it looks so much better. Thanks for taking the time to write the code.
WhiteWolf wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:33 pm That said, I've had my issues with it back in the day (and this is a mainline campaign, not even an add-on), and I don't know what caused it, I don't know if it's fixed or was just specific to that one laptop I had back then... so no idea.
I watched the videos. Freaky. Hopefully that strange thing won't happen to the orc, but if it does, at least we'll be able to rule-out your old laptop as the reason. Heh.
vghetto wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:44 pm Wesnoth doesn't like those pincers, huh?
set both primary and secondary to range=melee and nothing else, you'll get your animation on both but it'll be the sting attack for the scorpion. I agree with WhiteWolf, it looks like a bug.
WhiteWolf's code works, but I'll try that solution in a different scenario. Thanks for the info.
Pilauli wrote: November 21st, 2020, 5:28 pm That's automatically bundled into his animation. You could probably also use [play_sound], if memory serves.
I checked the Wiki. The tag for playing a sound is [sound]. But you're right, the orc's sound is bundled with the animation, so I don't need to use a tag. The orc now says "Ugh" automatically when he's hit by the Giant Scorpion, which is awesome.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

The problem in your original post seems to be that you have [primary_attack] and [secondary_attack] backwards. Primary attack should be dagger and secondary should be pincers, according to the wiki.

EDIT: Re-reading it makes me wonder if this is in fact incorrect. Hold on.

EDIT2: So if the wiki is right it sounds like [primary_attack] decides the defense animation and [secondary_attack] decides the attack animation, but both select a weapon on the attacker. So, for example, you could make an Elvish Sylph use a melee defense animation against a ranged attack. I think normally best practice would be to set both filters to be the same.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:51 pm EDIT2: So if the wiki is right it sounds like [primary_attack] decides the defense animation and [secondary_attack] decides the attack animation, but both select a weapon on the attacker. So, for example, you could make an Elvish Sylph use a melee defense animation against a ranged attack. I think normally best practice would be to set both filters to be the same.
I'm quite sure that's what we arrived at too, and it doesn't seem to function properly. If both are set to range=melee like this:

[harm_unit]
			[filter]
				x,y=10,11 # position for my test orc
			[/filter]
			[filter_second]
				x,y=10,10 # position for my test orc
			[/filter_second]
			[primary_attack]
				range=melee
			[/primary_attack]
			[secondary_attack]
				range=melee
			[/secondary_attack]
			amount=4
			animate=yes
		[/harm_unit]
Then it works correctly, but the scorpion uses its tail for the attack. Since range=melee is ambiguous, I guess that's the one that gets chosen first.
So ff we want to set which attack in specific to use, and we set both to name=pincers, only the attacker is animated, and the defender animation is missing.

[harm_unit]
			[filter]
				x,y=10,11
			[/filter]
			[filter_second]
				x,y=10,10 
			[/filter_second]
			[primary_attack]
				name=pincers
			[/primary_attack]
			[secondary_attack]
				name=pincers
			[/secondary_attack]
			amount=4
			animate=yes
		[/harm_unit]
To me this looks like there's something wrong about how the attack filters find the attacks/animations, when using name. If you can confirm that this is indeed a bug, I could open a github issue for it.
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Try setting the first one to range=melee and the second one to name=pincers.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:09 pm Try setting the first one to range=melee and the second one to name=pincers.
That would animate both, but it will use the sting animation, not the pincers. It looked and sounded exactly the same as range=melee for both.

Please see and try attached file.
It sets the primary to type=impact (pincers animation) and tries all variations for secondary.

None of them will illicit a defense animation from either the bowman or the orchish assassin.

{MOVE_HARM 1 (type=impact) (range=melee)}
    {MOVE_HARM 2 (type=impact) (range=melee)}
    {MOVE_HARM 3 (type=impact) (range=ranged)}
    {MOVE_HARM 4 (type=impact) (range=ranged)}
    {MOVE_HARM 5 (type=impact) (type=blade)}
    {MOVE_HARM 6 (type=impact) (type=blade)}
    {MOVE_HARM 7 (type=impact) (type=impact)}
    {MOVE_HARM 8 (type=impact) (type=impact)}
    {MOVE_HARM 9 (type=impact) (type=pierce)}
    {MOVE_HARM 10 (type=impact) (type=pierce)}
    {MOVE_HARM 11 (type=impact) (name=pincers)}
    {MOVE_HARM 12 (type=impact) (name=pincers)}
    {MOVE_HARM 13 (type=impact) (name=sting)}
    {MOVE_HARM 14 (type=impact) (name=sting)}
    {MOVE_HARM 15 (type=impact) (name=whatever)}
    {MOVE_HARM 16 (type=impact) (name=whatever)}
    {MOVE_HARM 17 (type=impact) ()}
    {MOVE_HARM 18 (type=impact) ()}
Edit:
I tried the following and it didn't work either.

{MOVE_HARM 1 (type=impact) (name=dagger)}
    {MOVE_HARM 2 (type=impact) (name=dagger)}
    {MOVE_HARM 3 (type=impact) (name=throwing knives)}
    {MOVE_HARM 4 (type=impact) (name=throwing knives)}
    {MOVE_HARM 5 (type=impact) (name=short sword)}
    {MOVE_HARM 6 (type=impact) (name=short sword)}
    {MOVE_HARM 7 (type=impact) (name=bow)}
    {MOVE_HARM 8 (type=impact) (name=bow)}
from what I gathered in the lua, harm_unit calls animate_unit
Attachments
_main.cfg
(6.96 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Last edited by vghetto on November 22nd, 2020, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I'm not clear on whether there's a real bug here but I think there's definitely an issue - the situation is confusing at best, broken at worst. From what I can tell, it might not be limited to [harm_unit] - it seems like there's something weird about [animate_unit] as well. I don't understand why it needs a primary and secondary attack for a single animation… can anyone think of anything that would need that? Keeping in mind that the defend animation and the attack animation are two separate animations that just play simultaneously.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 9:56 pm it might not be limited to [harm_unit] - it seems like there's something weird about [animate_unit] as well.
But the code with [animate_unit] that did the same thing seems to have worked.
WhiteWolf wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:33 pm
Spoiler:
Though it is true, that here the primary attack is different in [animate_unit] and [animate]. For the former, it's pincers for both and for the latter, the primary attack is actually the orc's dagger.
So maybe there's something wrong/not well enough thought-out about how [harm_unit] calls [animate_unit]? I didn't look at the implementation, I'm just guessing.

I don't quite understand the need for primary and secondary filters either. The wiki doesn't make it much clearer:
[secondary_attack]: Similar to [primary_attack]. May be needed to trigger a defense animation correctly, if there are more than one animations available for the defending unit.
This emphasis on "may be needed" sounds like this is needed in some cases as a workaround for something?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

WhiteWolf wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:15 pm But the code with [animate_unit] that did the same thing seems to have worked.
Though it is true, that here the primary attack is different in [animate_unit] and [animate]. For the former, it's pincers for both and for the latter, the primary attack is actually the orc's dagger.
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that the name must be the same for both. Could you explain that part please?

I just tried your code and I set primary to name=pincers and secondary to name=gabagaba and it worked just as well as before.

for the flag=defend block you could have set both to blank and it would have worked.
I just tried leaving the primary empty and the secondary to name=hubahuba and again that worked!

The only one that was required seemed to have been primary name=pincers (or type=impact) in the flag=attack block, the rest could have been omitted.

Edit: It looks like the text line should be moved to the defend block

Edit2: OP, omit the text line completely if harm_unit is called straight after the animate_unit.
for completeness this seems to mimic the desired effect. It is WhiteWolf's code above, I included with_bars=yes to both.

{REPEAT 3 (
            [animate_unit]
                flag=attack
                [filter]
                    x,y=11,"$({Y}+1)"
                [/filter]
                [primary_attack]
                    {PRIMARY}
                [/primary_attack]
                [secondary_attack]
                [/secondary_attack]
                hits=yes
                with_bars=yes
                [facing]
                    x,y=10,{Y}
                [/facing]
                [animate]
                    flag=defend
                    [filter]
                        x,y=10,{Y}
                    [/filter]
                    [primary_attack]
                    [/primary_attack]
                    [secondary_attack]
                    [/secondary_attack]
                    hits=yes
                    with_bars=yes
                    #text= _ "<span color='red'>4</span>"
                    [facing]
                        x,y=11,"$({Y}+1)"
                    [/facing]
                [/animate]
            [/animate_unit]
            [harm_unit]
                [filter]
                    x,y=10,{Y}
                [/filter]
                [filter_second]
                    x,y=11,"$({Y}+1)"
                [/filter_second]
                amount=4
                animate=no
                experience=yes
            [/harm_unit]
        )}
Edit3: In the code that WhiteWolf wrote the filters in attack and defend got flipped.
In harm_unit, the lua doesn't flip them! Maybe that has something to do with it?

Edit4: Ok, seems that was the bug with harm_unit, it uses the correct filter in defend T.filter { id = unit_to_harm.id } but it didn't flip the primary and secondary attacks.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

WhiteWolf wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:15 pm So maybe there's something wrong/not well enough thought-out about how [harm_unit] calls [animate_unit]? I didn't look at the implementation, I'm just guessing.
It's possible. From what I can tell, it looks like using [harm_unit] is equivalent to two separate [animate_unit] calls, one for the attack and one for the defend… which does seem wrong.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 2:38 am
WhiteWolf wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:15 pm So maybe there's something wrong/not well enough thought-out about how [harm_unit] calls [animate_unit]? I didn't look at the implementation, I'm just guessing.
It's possible. From what I can tell, it looks like using [harm_unit] is equivalent to two separate [animate_unit] calls, one for the attack and one for the defend… which does seem wrong.
Don't you need them to be separate if the units are not adjacent?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I'm pretty sure you don't, but you'd have to try it, I guess.

Generally speaking, I believe you need to use the nested [animate] block in [animate_unit] if you want multiple animations to play simultaneously.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 6:12 am I'm pretty sure you don't, but you'd have to try it, I guess.
I tried it and you're correct.

The difference seems to be a scroll between attacker and defender. I tried setting delay=0 but it still felt much slower and not simultaneous like animate_unit with an enclosed animate.

Maybe that's something that can be looked into at a future date.