Is get_hit_sound= bugged?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Is get_hit_sound= bugged?

Post by Atreides »

I've looked everywhere to find this out but alas I've decided to admit I'm stumped.

I tried it in some units and there is no sound. It is truly odd since it is so similar to die_sound= which works perfectly.

Yes, I have noticed that the preferred method seems to be to use a DEFENSE_ANIM routine.

Still I am bewildered why get_hit_sound just won't work. I've seen it used in the current Era of Magic even which makes it even more bewildering.
gnombat

Re: Is get_hit_sound= bugged?

Post by gnombat »

The only mention of get_hit_sound I can find in the current source code is in the wmllint-1.4 tool, which suggests it was deprecated and/or removed before version 1.4 was released (a long time ago).
Atreides wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:56 am I've seen it used in the current Era of Magic even which makes it even more bewildering.
Era of Magic has been around for a while, so it might still have some old code that has never been updated. If it's still in the latest version it might be a good idea to report it to the maintainer.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Is get_hit_sound= bugged?

Post by Atreides »

gnombat wrote: February 26th, 2021, 5:34 pm The only mention of get_hit_sound I can find in the current source code is in the wmllint-1.4 tool, which suggests it was deprecated and/or removed before version 1.4 was released (a long time ago).
Atreides wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:56 am I've seen it used in the current Era of Magic even which makes it even more bewildering.
Era of Magic has been around for a while, so it might still have some old code that has never been updated. If it's still in the latest version it might be a good idea to report it to the maintainer.
Thanks. I did a search and Era of Magic, Imperial Era, War of Legends and Into the Underworld all still have it in their units for 1.14.15! I guess that's where I got it from. I only go back to 1.12 (and that because Debian is always lagging, I started playing when 1.14 was current :)
I'll notify them all as I am quite fond of the aforementioned eras/scenario. It does no harm that I can see aside from possibly missing a sound effect that's not been updated.
1.4, golly... to me that's dinosaur era... ;-)