Mechanical's art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Mechanical's art

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I don't see the transformation involving the discarding of armour apart from the helmet.
Maybe the vampire unit just...absorbs the helmet while he transforms...and then we have to face that fact it was not a helmet at all but a lustrous protective shell which was shielding his face from the sunlight?
Kind of like Mumm Ra and his bandages of the Thundercats franchise.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

According to the idea, during the day they look like people and wear masks, and at night they take their real appearance and remove their masks. Their body changes, but their clothes remain the same, because they are not connected to the body.
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
The_Quixotic_King

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

Helmet wrote: December 11th, 2020, 9:24 pm I liked the previous version more, the one with the shield in front of his body. He looked more alert, like maybe he was fighting multiple foes. He seems more relaxed now since his shield is held low, like his opponent is far away. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I agree the position of the shield is better, It gives him a more unique stance, but the shading doesn't look quite right. It looks like the shield is facing directly forward, but I think it should be at more of an angle.

The idea of a unit changing between night and day is absolutely awesome! will he be a predominantly melee unit in the day and a ranged unit at night? that would be really cool.

There are a lot of things you could do for the transformation animation, I can't wait to see this all come to fruition.
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:47 pm I agree the position of the shield is better, It gives him a more unique stance, but the shading doesn't look quite right. It looks like the shield is facing directly forward, but I think it should be at more of an angle.
I see what you mean, the shading is not quite right.
The_Quixotic_King wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:47 pm The idea of a unit changing between night and day is absolutely awesome! will he be a predominantly melee unit in the day and a ranged unit at night? that would be really cool.

There are a lot of things you could do for the transformation animation, I can't wait to see this all come to fruition.
Ooo, that would be nifty: melee in the day, ranged at night. Or a cool ability that only happens at night. So many possibilities...
Transformation based on time of day: What a cool ida for a unit!
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Quixotic_King wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:47 pm The idea of a unit changing between night and day is absolutely awesome! will he be a predominantly melee unit in the day and a ranged unit at night? that would be really cool.
Yeah, that's basically how how it works.
The_Quixotic_King wrote: December 15th, 2020, 11:47 pm There are a lot of things you could do for the transformation animation, I can't wait to see this all come to fruition.
Will try to make something decent.
Helmet wrote: December 16th, 2020, 2:24 am Ooo, that would be nifty: melee in the day, ranged at night. Or a cool ability that only happens at night. So many possibilities...
Transformation based on time of day: What a cool ida for a unit!
Thanks! :)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

New unit. it is a serpenthead, naga-like 4-handed creature with strong magical abilities.
Attachments
змееглав.png
змееглав.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
My art thread
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

The serpenthead line is ready. Why are they so big? because they are powerful beings whose power is comparable to the divine. I also like to draw big creatures. (There will be no level 4 and 5 creatures in the era because they didn't fit on the screen)

For comparison-at the bottom of the old line of the sertpenthead, which I drew a couple of years ago.
Attachments
serpentheads.png
serpentheads.png (22.85 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
My art thread
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

All hail the Great Khagan! :) Anyway, great sprite.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Woah. Those Naga(?) look amazing :D. Maybe they should be separated into their own race like "Serpentine" :hmm:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 21st, 2020, 5:32 pm Woah. Those Naga(?) look amazing :D
I very much agree.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 21st, 2020, 5:32 pmMaybe they should be separated into their own race like "Serpentine" :hmm:
They already are :) (Can confirm as the era's coder)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Mechanical wrote: December 20th, 2020, 9:26 pm For comparison-at the bottom of the old line of the sertpenthead, which I drew a couple of years ago.
The clothing is shaded much better, and I like the hat concept for the lvl 3, as well as the staff. The heads do look a lot more serpentine, less bird-like.

The details are good, but some of the overall shading seems to have been muddled a bit, most noticeable on the closer arms of the lvl 3 (with the cobra staff), where it's hard to read any structure or depth. The cloth on the lvl 3 hat is a bit pillow-shaded, using more dark shading would help.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

doofus-01, thank you for advice. I'll take this into account when I edit the sprites to the final versions.

Today I redrawn the gnoll. Version before/after.
Attachments
gnol.png
gnol.png (2.77 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
gnolls.png
gnolls.png (4.49 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
My art thread
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Nice. Gnoll are probably my favourite race. HoMM3 bias.
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Gnoll heavy infantry live is ready
Attachments
gnoll_line.png
gnoll_line.png (9.09 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
My art thread
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

2 slave lines (levels 0-2). Spearmen and archers. Nothing special.
Attachments
slaves.png
slaves.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
My art thread