Mechanical's art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mechanical

Re: Mechanical's art

Post by Mechanical »

ghype wrote: December 10th, 2020, 1:54 pm Nice sprite again!
I just want to comment on the shield however, it looks the shield is facing a bit too much in the wrong directions. Right now it is facing to the left but the way he holds it and also combat with according to his stance - wouldn't he hold it a bit more tilted to the right?
I think you're right. I myself noticed that something is wrong with the shield, and now I will try to change it. :doh:
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Edit version:
Attachments
vampire.png
vampire.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
My art thread
ghype

Post by ghype »

Yes fixed! now the texture of the armor can be seen which adds to overhaul appealing.
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

The draft version of "Polovtsian vampires" is ready.
Attachments
vampires.png
vampires.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
My art thread
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I like how this advancement-line looks :D. However, my only comment is why would the level 1 have the shield if he is going to discard it for an off-hand sword as soon as he advances? Sort of seems out of place.
In any case, I like how sinister the level 2 looks. Reminiscent of the Dark Brotherhood of Tamriel but with a brown and black colour scheme.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

I liked the previous version more, the one with the shield in front of his body. He looked more alert, like maybe he was fighting multiple foes. He seems more relaxed now since his shield is held low, like his opponent is far away. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

All three sprites look great.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 11th, 2020, 7:50 pm I like how this advancement-line looks :D. However, my only comment is why would the level 1 have the shield if he is going to discard it for an off-hand sword as soon as he advances? Sort of seems out of place.
In any case, I like how sinister the level 2 looks. Reminiscent of the Dark Brotherhood of Tamriel but with a brown and black colour scheme.
I think exchanging a shield for a second weapon is a common way to suggest that a unit has leveled. For example, the Naga Fighter and Naga Warrior, Elvish Fight and Elvish Hero. I think the most common method of indicating that a unit has advanced to second level, though, is making the weapon bigger. But it's nice to see a less common solution, too, imo. The Dune Skirmisher exchanges his shield for a bird!
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Okay, I wanted to give LVL 2 a shield myself.

Improved LVL 2 and added night versions of vampires-dark magicians.
Attachments
vampires.png
vampires.png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
My art thread
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Mate, that second vampire-magic-user line :shock:
Those aren't vampires...they are...something more :D
What nature of magic is that? Blood Magic? Anti-Magic (as seen in Black Clover), Dark Energy Magic? Death Magic? :shock:
I love it. :D

Adding the shield to vampire-melee fighter line makes them now resemble the Redguard Alik'r Warriors of Hammerfell (Second Skyrim reference dropped :lol: ). Cool :mrgreen:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 11th, 2020, 11:28 pm Mate, that second vampire-magic-user line :shock:
Those aren't vampires...they are...something more :D
What nature of magic is that? Blood Magic? Anti-Magic (as seen in Black Clover), Dark Energy Magic? Death Magic? :shock:
I love it. :D

Adding the shield to vampire-melee fighter line makes them now resemble the Redguard Alik'r Warriors of Hammerfell (Second Skyrim reference dropped :lol: ). Cool :mrgreen:
To be honest, I haven't decided exactly what kind of magic it is yet. But I suspect that blood magic + the anti-magic.

By the way, in the era it will be 1 unit. During the day, it will look like the top version and be a melee fighter, and at night it will change to the lower version and attack with magic.
My art thread
ghype

Post by ghype »

we will want to see a transform animation
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Mechanical wrote: December 11th, 2020, 11:57 pm By the way, in the era it will be 1 unit. During the day, it will look like the top version and be a melee fighter, and at night it will change to the lower version and attack with magic.
Im curoius how you guys will try to balance this units. (Its more than possible, Im just curious.)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ghype wrote: December 13th, 2020, 9:20 pm we will want to see a transform animation
We don't have one yet, but thanks for the idea! If possible, I'll try to whip up something before the alpha.
Hejnewar wrote: December 14th, 2020, 12:48 am Im curoius how you guys will try to balance this units. (Its more than possible, Im just curious.)
Well, once we release the era's alpha (hopefully within the next few weeks), you'll be able to see that firsthand :)

Speaking of the the alpha, it will contain two factions, and we are considering making more depending on how popular the era becomes. This time me/mechanical decided to take a more quality-over-quantity approach, unlike our previous era.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

ForestDragon wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:06 am Well, once we release the era's alpha (hopefully within the next few weeks), you'll be able to see that firsthand :)

Speaking of the the alpha, it will contain two factions, and we are considering making more depending on how popular the era becomes. This time me/mechanical decided to take a more quality-over-quantity approach, unlike our previous era.
Oh no. My least favourite type of game, the waiting game.

About animation: dark Lvl up animation from EoMa could fit well I think.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Hejnewar wrote: December 14th, 2020, 12:18 pm Oh no. My least favourite type of game, the waiting game.
Lol
Hejnewar wrote: December 14th, 2020, 12:18 pm About animation: dark Lvl up animation from EoMa could fit well I think.
Will consider that.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

To be honest as it currently stand with me the night/day forms do not look like a "transformation" its more of the unit taking armor/clothing off. For lore reasons i can see a less transformation if it affects the units physical strength, why would they remove the armor in the middle of combat unless at night they can't sustain their physical strength. But its a minor lore that can be flushed out.