my Custom units and image problems

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
The_Quixotic_King

my Custom units and image problems

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

So i have been working on my first campaign and have started making custom units for it,
Here are the first two little fellers;

The Puffin scout,
Puffin-2.png
Puffin-2.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
and the Penguin Soldier
Penguin_1.png
Penguin_1.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
However, i cannot get the images to load, the Puffin scout is recruitable and works (as of now he is just a footpad codewise) but my sprite will not load, i tried to use one of the mainline sprites as a test aswell but that will not load either.
Here is the zip of the campaign file,
my_first_campaign.zip
(12 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
i was not sure whether this belonged in the WML forum or here, feel free to move it.
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
gnombat

Re: my Custom units and image problems

Post by gnombat »

Your image file is named my_first_art.png.png (note the .png appears twice).

If you're using Windows, I would recommend looking for the "Hide extensions for known file types" setting and unchecking the checkbox; it makes troubleshooting things like this much easier (I have no idea why hiding file extensions is the default behavior).

hide-extensions.png
hide-extensions.png (32.06 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
The_Quixotic_King

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

Thanks, i am using windows and that will make things more handy.
that flew right under my nose.
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

I've had problems with getting sprites to work too, but what I figured out as a solution was to make every image path "data/add-ons/..." which is really annoying. Even with the proper setup in the main.cfg file, I have to start from "data/..." to get it to work. I do not have file extensions hidden. Has anyone else had this problem?
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That means your [binary_path] was not correct.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Now regarding the actual art - if these are supposed to be penguin-humanoid sort of things, then I can see that the first unit is clear.
I had hard time for the 2nd unit though. It took me a couple of looks to see that what the head actually is. I think the way the head is tilted makes it hard to understand as normally where the human face would sit is just a white blank spot. Having a more stance for the head like the first unit would help.