Are the full resolution images still available somewhere?

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
MoonyDragon

Are the full resolution images still available somewhere?

Post by MoonyDragon »

Hey there,
Not long ago I skimmed some ancient add-ons for graphics and stumbled upon two high-quality elvish portraits from the Era of Two Suns. Although Kitty made most elvish portraits in the new (400x400 and on transparent background) format, the ones I found were still in the old (205x205 and on black background) format, which is only a derivative of the larger and transparent originals. Searching the forums didn't help either, since many of the images posted ~11 years ago are now gone.

So I'd like to ask whether anyone knows whether the originals still exist somewhere and if they do, where one may find them. And on a broader note, does anyone know of efforts to prevent good artwork to be forgotten or lost?

~ Moony

elvish-citizen.png
elvish-citizen.png (46.47 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
elvish-citizen+female.png
elvish-citizen+female.png (43.8 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
gnombat

Re: Are the full resolution images still available somewhere?

Post by gnombat »

MoonyDragon wrote: June 6th, 2020, 11:38 pm So I'd like to ask whether anyone knows whether the originals still exist somewhere and if they do, where one may find them. And on a broader note, does anyone know of efforts to prevent good artwork to be forgotten or lost?
There's a Git repository for that sort of thing.

It looks like 400x400 versions of the images are here:

https://github.com/wesnoth/resources/bl ... er-fem.png
https://github.com/wesnoth/resources/bl ... ighter.png

I don't see transparent versions, though.
MoonyDragon

Re: Are the full resolution images still available somewhere?

Post by MoonyDragon »

@gnombat: Thank you very much, this was what I was looking for ^^

Nonetheless, that repository does seem to be half-way abandoned... Which is sad, considering that it may host unique artwork (like the elvish portraits) which has been forgotten everywhere else. But what startled me the most is that the influential artwork by Jason Lute is nowhere to be found. I added his portraits below:
south-guard.7z
(432.87 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
liberty.7z
(213.88 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
humans.zip
(776.06 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
I quickly converted the fighter portrait into the new format and will post it here so that people can use it in their campaigns (Nowhere else did I see a 400x400 transparent version). But the archer portrait showed some traits which, while looking fine on black, do seem out of style on transparent background. I came to suspect that in Kitty's early portraits, there was no transparent version at all. Perhaps the two elvish portraits on black backgrounds are the originals.
Attachments
citizen.png
citizen.png (158.32 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!