HttT - Valley of Death (#9) Need Help

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crixomix

HttT - Valley of Death (#9) Need Help

Post by Crixomix »

Hello!

I am having some serious difficulties on Scenario 9, Valley of Death. (For what it's worth, this campaign I think needs a bit of balancing! The siege of elefsenar was also really difficult. I'm only on the medium difficulty even!)

So, let's cut to the chase. Obviously the first time I tried just holding out in the castle. This was a horrible idea. All three armies smash into you at the same time, AT NIGHT, nonetheless, with all of their wraiths. Wraiths are stupid good. They have a very powerful melee attack coupled with drain, and 50% resistance against all physical damage (except impact, which I have zero access to), and they even have a ranged attack so you can't completely safely attack with mages.

As far as recalls, I have 2 elvish marshalls, 2 mages of light, a silver mage, an elvish shyde, and that's it for levelled up guys. I lost a few lvl 2s two levels ago in the hills with all the ambushing orcs.

I'm just not sure what to do. for kicks I tried running to the bottom right corner and just hide in the mountains but wraiths have 7MP and only takes them 1MP to move over hills AND mountains so they catch up fast and then wreck you.

Any ideas?
Crixomix

Re: HttT - Valley of Death (#9) Need Help

Post by Crixomix »

I got it!

I summed my lvl 2 units, spent the rest of the money on mages, and ran to the south. Was able to take out the southern lich and then about the same turn the ghosts from the eastern guy came in, and then a few turns later the purple northern guy attacked, so with all the attacks spread out over more turns, it was doable. Lost most of the mages I recruited but kept my lvl 2 and 3 units!