How to kill a Yeti without taking 1 hp of damage.

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

How to kill a Yeti without taking 1 hp of damage.

Post by Atreides »

Just poison it and the surround it on 6 sides. The computer has some kind of sit and do nothing tactic when poisoned and unable to reach a village. Might even be a bug.
patience_reloaded

Re: How to kill a Yeti without taking 1 hp of damage.

Post by patience_reloaded »

I guess this requires to have a ranged poison weapon, which is something that for most factions and in most campaigns is difficult to get.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I believe more factions have ranged poison than melee poison.
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

Ravana wrote: May 24th, 2020, 11:18 am I believe more factions have ranged poison than melee poison.
Actually, I think that's not true, at least with Default Era.

Ranged poison: Orcish Assassin (and levelups)

Melee poison: Ghoul (and levelups), Direwolf Rider, (Outlaw) Assassin

Not counting critters here, because they aren't in any faction normally, but they're mostly melee as well.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I thought level 3 thief also has.
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

Ah, yes, you're right. Misremembered him to have melee poison. So yeah, it's in fact equally distributed. Each one level1 and one additional level3 unit for melee and ranged.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Yes, I used a Orc Ass. plus Arch. to do it. Interesting point that only they can do it. Still I think it noteworthy that they can do this feat. :) (actual faction used was from Era of Chaos, North. with some tiny changes (Gob Cav and Sham's))
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Well if you have several high level ranged heavy hitters, like Great Mages, Mages of Light, Elvish Sharpshooters or Elvish Sylphs, it should be possible to nuke a Yeti in one turn. Unless the discussion was about some specific campaign scenario.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

No, just the Wilderlands using Era of Chaos Orcs-alikes. :) Yeah I imagine once you get the tactical nuclear weapons out and concentrated on a target anything can be annihilated. :) Fun!
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I'd actually consider this an AI bug. I tried it and it works just like in the OP: if a Yeti is poisoned and surrounded, it won't attack, even if it has like 130/142 HP left, and it could literally one-hit any of the surrounding enemies. But the Yeti just sits there, doing nothing.
Yes, it's a valid point that this is indeed rather hard to exploit, but I'd still consider it a bug.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Next step would be finding a scenario where a Yeti can be killed without dealing damage, without setting it up as an experiment, or exploiting the poison bug. I'm sure there are quite a few campaigns, both in the vanilla game and user made, where the player encounters a Yeti (or even more) as an enemy. I wonder if it's possible to build such an army and then use it in a real battle situation to take one down.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
patience_reloaded

Post by patience_reloaded »

Well, removing a Yeti from active battle can be done by units from various add-ons: Some units can turn an enemy unit into stone permanently, and some do this without dealing damage iirc. However, while the Yeti won't be able to attack, move, or extend a ZoC, it will still stand there and block the field it's standing on, turning it impassable.

On the other hand killing a Yeti with dealing 0 damage (if I understood Krogen's last post correctly) is harder. I can only think of it if you alter the terrain: Some add-on units can temporarily or permanently alter the terrain in their vincinity (for example Era of Magic:Tharis: Frost Matriarch: can turn water tiles to frozen, the tiles will turn back to what they were after Frost Matriarch has left). One of those units alters the tile the yeti is standing on, and the yeti gets killed by this (example: land units die when standing on ice that turns to deep water again after frost matriarch leaves, iirc)
Some scenarios (even mainline ones) feature alterations of terrain due to weather. Maybe in such a scenario a yeti can be killed without dealing any direct damage.