Walkthrough for Northern Rebirth....

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Walkthrough for Northern Rebirth....

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Does such a thing exist? I haven't been able to find one, if it does....

I manage to hold off the orcs, but with nothing but peasants, it's a little hard to throw them back. I got one upgraded to a bowman, but they die so easily, as soon as they get close to leveling up the AI snuffs them out. When I try again, I'll make sure not to release the trolls; they drew troops away from my central front. The southern front I abandoned when his warlord entered the fight, so I pulled back to the forest and wiped out his wolf-riders. I also have a few peasants running around far south stealing villages, with an archer in pursuit. No problem recruiting new peasants, just having trouble keeping them alive.
toms

Post by toms »

Infested caves(2nd scenario):

(Objectives:Defeat all enemies)
Normally you have much gold, and you need it because you have to recruit a LOT.
In the beginning, there are a northern tunnel, a southern and a western tunnel. You will need most troops in the western one, esp. thugs because there are skeletons. In the southern and the northern tunnel there are troll whelps...ugh. Hard to defeat but a good mixture of poachers and thugs(I would take many of both) can do it :wink: .In the middle of the map is a
big cave with undead and a few ruins and villages. You should place your fighters on them.
Far in the south-west are the dwarves. In the north-west there´s an exit with a single human village on grass. An arch mage is in there who helps you. He can kill many( :twisted: ), but not all left enemies.It´s useful to fight the undead with him. There are two trolls as leaders(recruit whelps), a troll warrior leader(troll, troll rocklobber), a death knight(the whole undead comes from him) and-a blood bat close to you, can´t recruit.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
toms

Post by toms »

To the mines (3rd scenario)

Just kill the direwolfer. It´s not sooo difficult. :P
You should recruit many dwarves(wich you get). And keep them mostly on mountain.
And it´s good to advance them. :!: He recruits only lvl 1+2 wolfriders, wich you can beat down if they are not on hills or mountains. You will need (many) dwarvish steelclads later...
toms

Post by toms »

Clearing the mines:

This is just another big battle.
Enemies:
4 draugs (recruit skeletons, skel.-archers and walking corpses)
a ancient lich(adepts,ghosts,blood bats,skeletons and -archers)
2 draugs each in north and in west, the lich in the northwest.

In this cave there are a few mountains, it´s good to place dwarves there. You will need a huge
army, again. And here´s a screenshot as I played it(more in the end).
Just to get a feel how large your army should be. Many died, so even more than that.
toms

Post by toms »

The pursuit:

It doesn´t look dangerous, but there´s many action...
At the beginning you see Malifor running away. And there are some
revenants. They run to you and attack you. You should recall all your good troops. And even maybe recruit a few. Then the tunnel has two
branches. Don´t go right! Only three giant spiders waiting for you!
Left are many level 2 units. All you can do there is advance your fighters
if they don´t die...
The best way is just go straight ahead. But there is a giant trap!
Two recruiting Death Knights and there level 2 mercenaries(a lot of them)
Behind each there is a door if you move a unit there it smashes it.
Follow the tunnel!There are 3 holy waters...in each tunnel. You NEED them! Because now it´s going hard! The tunnel guardians are now Draugs.
Then, the tunnel branches again in three. I would go north first. Oh, I forgot the trap in the chamber at the tunnel branch. Very nice, again. :twisted: Then, in the north, a chamber again. With a big trap.
Boring? Not really, you will see. The traps are POWERFUL!!!
And there are four cages. With a drake burner, a Elvish druid, and two white mages. They help you.
The left tunnel ends in a chamber. A trap. And then? A second trap.
Many strong undeads again. And then a couple of chests.
With more money in it you can imagine that you will ever have in
Wesnoth!!!!!!
The unit who finds it asks for right:"Where is the old bag of bones getting all this?"
OK, after looting his treasury, you will see a signpost. It says: Don´´t touch! It will kill you! Thats nonsense.
Get it! Its a staff who gives the unit
-a 18-5 fire weapon
-+2 movement poins
-+ about 20 life-points :!:

And in the right tunnel...

Malifors room!

Two locks the unit who moves there asks you if he should open it.
You can move there again if you had waited a little bit and he asks again.
When you open it,

FUN BEGINS!
A line of Death Knights
A line of Demilichs
A second line of Death Knights
And other undeads

Important: Malifor can´t be killed if you don´t do it with a White mage.
Otherwise, he will teleport to another castle...And start recruit, but only level 1.

You will advance many units. I had about twenty dwarvish lords and a
Great Mage camerin and many steelclads and a royal guard when I got outta it...
toms

Post by toms »

Old friend:

Three orc leaders: 2 Warlords and an orcish souvereign(Rakshas).
The souvereign has a couple of warlords as guards.
They recruit about 3 castles full with units each.

If you are good enough to get to the big mountain, you will face at least 25 Goblin Knights.

Tallin changes into a lieutinant.

The best way is to block the cave entrance, because you can wait until end of turns. You can
use the white mages and the elvish druid for healing. It´s good to advance level 1 units
in this scenario. I advanced three Heavy Infanterymans and a dwarvish steelclad to a lord.
You should have both melee and ranged units if you want to win the campaign.
toms

Post by toms »

Settling Disputes is the next, I think.

It´s the same map as "Mountain Pass" in HttT, but you start in the Northwest.

You have to kill the two lichs. The difficult thing is that the dwarven lord
not dies(then you lose). The best way is to kill the demilich immedeatly. Then you should go straight to the ancient lich, dwarves are good there.
You should advance Tallin in a time.
toms

Post by toms »

Elvis Princess:

A weak Orc Warlord(wich you should simply kill). And a large fortification, WELL guarded with a couple of Warlords and slurbows.

Tip: Advance troll whelps and Heavvy Infanterymans. Mages are good.

In the middle there is a Elvish Soceress, wich you must free.

Oh, I forgot: You get the liches as starting units. :) And you can recruit troll whelps, young ogres and gryphons then. :D
unsung

Post by unsung »

what-ever-it's-caled-where-you-defend-the-mountain-against-orcs:

SWARM!.

level units up, and use a lot of cannon fodder in thi sone, you have the gold for it. send any dwarf lords to defend the mountains and use the humans to plug then entrance with HI and swarm with everything else.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
toms

Post by toms »

Unusung is right.
And there are only large battles at all. Having lots of troops is important :!:
Cohen the Ballbearing

Clearing the Mines help needed

Post by Cohen the Ballbearing »

I read the other posts, but they are a tad vague (amount of gold and what units to recall).

I start CtM with 747 gold and 4 steelclads (plus the folks you start with). Is it possible to win with these parameters? My forces seem too dispersed between the immediate northern Draug and the storeroom Draug to the east. Sure the norther Draug is easy, but there is quite an expanse between him and the next one by the NW storeroom and some difficult terrain.

Any tips are appreciated. I have been playing this one all week (with no luck).

BTW, does it seem odd that a dwarf would have better defense on a cave floor than a stone road? Especially since it seems like the dwarves BUILT that road. Just checking/whining....
Is there a Wesnoth 12-Step Program?
TheChosenOne

Re: Clearing the Mines help needed

Post by TheChosenOne »

Cohen the Ballbearing wrote: BTW, does it seem odd that a dwarf would have better defense on a cave floor than a stone road? Especially since it seems like the dwarves BUILT that road. Just checking/whining....
No it doesn't. Since the road is somewhat flat, it must have been counted as grasslands too.

Dwarves are short, and this is their advantage especially in caves.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Cohen the Ballbearing

Parameters for CtM Victory

I did finally win this scenario starting it with (aside from the "default characters) 1220 gold and 4 steelclads. I also had three or four dwarven fighters who were about to level, which as you know are handy for the insta-healing effect -- nice when you don't have healers and villages are sparse.

I think the key is to not over-recruit on the scenario before (To the Mines). If you have "just enough" troops to defeat Wolfie-guy, 4-5 will level or and another 4will be close to it, and you'll have a few hundred more gold for the CtM, and the extra waves of dwarves that translates into is crucial for a win.

It's tought fight (one of the best IMO), and after you capture both "storage areas" with the villages, the tide will just turn, and you'll find it getting much easier to make progress. It was almost surprising. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and something to go wrong.

I came surprisingly close to "finishing off" Malifor many turns early -- sort of a fluke, but I chickened out and blew it. Then he got ahold of the castle south of his home one and recruited a bunch more troops which extended things -- had to retreat and regroup. I should have gone for his withered throat when I had the chance. Oh well.

In the next scenario, The Pursuit, things get weird -- no limit on the number of turns to complete the scenario, SLOW progress through hordes of undead and several weird characters to meet. I found that the earlier walk-through comments were inaccurate -- did the layout change from an earlier version?

Anyway, Malifor is isolated behind the avalanche. I haven't "lost" but I can't win, so I guess I have to start over. Again, oh well!
Cohen the Ballbearing

Cannot Recruit Trolls in Elvis (sic) Princess

Toms says one should advance Troll Whelps and Heavy Infantry. While Heavy Infantry are available to recruit (as are griffons), Troll Whelps are not. Should they be? I have both of the Liches with me. What gives?

Also, Toms mentions that Mages are good. I can only assume the two white mages are meant, because mages are not available to recruit. Whazzup?
Ardenstone

Northern Rebirth

Post by Ardenstone »

Toms has a good summary of a lot of the scenarios. Certainly this campaign has a lot of big, epic battles. You really need to keep leveling folks up because later in the game the pace changes and suddenly you're starting with 100 or 200 gold and can only recruit a couple of handful of characters for the map.

If you can't tell yet, this thread is Walkthrough type stuff so LOTS OF SPOILERS HERE.

I'm a fair newbie as Wesnoth, so forgive my lack of strategy. I'm playing on medium, which is either level 2/3 or 3/4.

Clearing the Mines:
You'll probably want at least 1,000gp to start this one. I sent my main guys and a round of top recruits north, then bolstered them before sending 1 wave of thugs plus two waves of dwarves to the right. You have to strike fast and get up to that top storeroom. This took the bulk of my force, while my secondary group took the right-hand store room. At this point I was idling, holding off the leftover waves of troops from the right, waiting for gold to go positive. My southern force snuck up on the right side and started to attack the king below Malifor. Malifor tends to come down to give him a hand, and when he did my guys jumped him. I believe there's a 75gp/round bonus so the early ending helped a lot.
Last edited by Ardenstone on March 9th, 2007, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.