Descent into Darkness revision

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nemaara
Developer

Descent into Darkness revision

Post by nemaara »

This thread is to discuss dialogue revisions to Descent into Darkness, which is part of a project that can be found here: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/projects/3. Any feedback/comments can either be posted here or in this thread: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 05#p637205. Suggestions are welcome!
Last edited by nemaara on January 21st, 2019, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Re: Descent into Darkness revision

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I like the changes you've made, the dialogue seems more more professional and polished now.

However, I would say that Darken Volk uses ellipses in his speech perhaps... too often. It might be worth cutting back on that a bit.

Also, I wonder why you've added skeleton recruits to Malin in scenario 3? I'm not arguing against it, just curious as to why such a change?
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

He used ellipses in the original too, I simply decided to preserve it. You could very well be right about there being too many, though; I'll probably take a look again once other people start reviewing S3 onward.

Malin doesn't recruit anything in scenario 3, so I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. Could you maybe clarify what you mean? :hmm:
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Old:
recruit=Walking Corpse,Vampire Bat,Ghost,Ghoul

New:
recruit=Walking Corpse,Vampire Bat,Ghost,Ghoul,Skeleton,Skeleton Archer

For S3 you made that change ^
Last edited by Tom_Of_Wesnoth on January 21st, 2019, 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

In the new scenario he actually never has the opportunity to recruit, but it seems like I forgot to remove his recruit list. I'll do that. :O
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I may have been looking at an outdated pull request? I'm not too familiar with GitHub, honestly.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

A player is unlikely to recruit on that map, but there's a possibility to do so on the trolls' keep. The scenario continues until all the trolls are dead, not just the leader, so the player might do the trick of "jump on the keep, recruit something to shield your leader".
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I double checked, I did purge the recruit list for S3. You could do some recalling on the trolls' keep, but I don't actually mind if the player wants to do that.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I double checked, I did purge the recruit list for S3. You could do some recalling on the trolls' keep, but I don't actually mind if the player wants to do that. :0
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

To be honest when i saw descent into darkness revised i was exited, i though they were extending the story not fixing the campaign overall. Descend is my favorite campaign, ive played it way back in 2016 and im not a fan of revisions.
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Vilebeggar wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 3:12 pm To be honest when i saw descent into darkness revised i was exited, i though they were extending the story not fixing the campaign overall. Descend is my favorite campaign, ive played it way back in 2016 and im not a fan of revisions.
I can understand that but the revisions that have been made are well done. Also if you play through the revised version and don't like something in particular I am sure that your feedback would be welcome.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

And if you want to help write an extended version of DiD, or a sequel or a prequel, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to help with writing, balancing, playtesting etc...
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

I can understand that but the revisions that have been made are well done. Also if you play through the revised version and don't like something in particular I am sure that your feedback would be welcome.
Its not a problem really, i have an early version installer for wesnoth with the original campaigns for memorial so i don't really care. And to be honest some campaigns needed improvement ehm *Eastern Invasion*, so its fine and better for the new guys to the game.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

josteph wrote: March 24th, 2019, 1:46 pm And if you want to help write an extended version of DiD, or a sequel or a prequel, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to help with writing, balancing, playtesting etc...
You can really do that? Thats awesome! Not for DiD tho, DiD's ending was phenomenal and give the campaign a lot of spirit, so in my opinion the story of Malin should be put to rest and not extended. Maybe you can add some easter eggs to it in different campaign but not extend it. A prequel is not necessary at all. But for other campaign's it would be great.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Vilebeggar wrote: March 24th, 2019, 4:03 pm You can really do that? Thats awesome! Not for DiD tho, DiD's ending was phenomenal and give the campaign a lot of spirit, so in my opinion the story of Malin should be put to rest and not extended. Maybe you can add some easter eggs to it in different campaign but not extend it. A prequel is not necessary at all. But for other campaign's it would be great.
Yes, you can. Wesnoth is an open source game; anyone can help create content for it. If you have ideas for new easter eggs or new campaigns or anything in between, go ahead and share them. :)