Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ghype

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming & Descriptions

Post by ghype »

Right, I fixed that.
ghype

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming & Descriptions

Post by ghype »

These are the final candidates. They are implemented in the code and will be used for the descriptions as we started writing them.
If anyone disapproves any of these name shall speak up now.

Final Candidates

Dune Herbalist, Dune Apothecary, Dune Luminary
Dune Herbalist, Dune Alchemist

Dune Soldier, Dune Captain, Dune Emir

Dune Skirmisher, Dune Strider, Dune Harrier

Naga Stabber, Naga Slasher, Naga Executioner
Naga Stabber, Naga Ringcaster, Naga Bladewind
Edwylm

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming

Post by Edwylm »

i'm not a fan of Naga Bladewind for its name. don't know why might because of the wind part of it or the ideas that might be lore related might lead it somewhere else. But i have no ideas of the origin of the name and the lore so who know.

An idea would be Bladewhirler or blade-vortex. this would seem more frightful for both water and air dwellers. lore wise the name could come from observing little funnels created with the spinning ring inside it. without really seeing the ring it would look like small slicing whirlpools or twisters.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Sorry for not bringing this up earlier, but "Emir" sounds out of place. The word "emir" refers specifically to Islamic leaders (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/emir#Etymology), so it would have fitted the khalifate, but the dunefolk are not tied to any historic people on Earth, so shouldn't they use unit names that don't connote specific historic peoples on earth? There are no Muslims on Irdya.

(Nor Jews, or Christians, or any other Earth religion)
ghype

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming + Descriptions

Post by ghype »

josteph wrote: May 27th, 2019, 7:44 pm Sorry for not bringing this up earlier, but "Emir" sounds out of place. The word "emir" refers specifically to Islamic leaders
I remember alternatives suggested before that were Dune Lord and Dune General

Edwylm wrote: May 27th, 2019, 5:42 pm i'm not a fan of Naga Bladewind for its name. An idea would be Bladewhirler or blade-vortex.
Bladewind was a more fitting variant of the previously suggested Deathwind - which in didn't sound that well and was rejected by many.
I personally am not having a problem with Bladewind, Bladewhirler could be just as fitting. I am ok to go with Bladewhirler if others prefer this one over Bladewind.

Furthermore, I compiled all the data we created so far for unit descriptions. You can find them here:
Dunefolk Rework - Unit Descriptions
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Unit Naming + Descriptions

Post by josteph »

ghype wrote: May 27th, 2019, 8:02 pm
josteph wrote: May 27th, 2019, 7:44 pm Sorry for not bringing this up earlier, but "Emir" sounds out of place. The word "emir" refers specifically to Islamic leaders
I remember alternatives suggested before that were Dune Lord and Dune General
Another one, Dune Caravan Leader, from "caravan" in this meaning:
A convoy or procession of travelers, their vehicles and cargo, and any pack animals, especially camels crossing a desert.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I don't like "stabber" as a unit name. How about slasher - dervish - executioner? I don't much like slasher either, mind you, but it's not so bad as stabber.

I also think "caravan leader" is too long.

As for "emir", I do think having something with a specific Middle-Eastern flavour would be nice. I hadn't heard about "emir" having Muslim connotations, but what about "sultan"? Does that maybe work better? I seem to recall sultans even show up in the Arabian Nights, so that shouldn't have Muslim connotations, right?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 29th, 2019, 3:14 am
josteph wrote: May 27th, 2019, 8:18 pm Dune Caravan Leader
I also think "caravan leader" is too long.
I would agree. I personally think Emir is fine. :) Though I guess we could have this conversation forever ^_^
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 29th, 2019, 3:14 am I don't like "stabber" as a unit name. How about slasher - dervish - executioner? I don't much like slasher either, mind you, but it's not so bad as stabber.
IMO stabber and slasher are fine. But Dervish does have more unique theme to it, though I would say that it has too specific connotations.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

@CelMin Regarding Middle Eastern flavor, the word "caravan" is actually of Persian origin (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/caravan#Etymology). So maybe "Caravaneer" or something.

I don't know if "sultan" has Muslim connotations.
ghype

Post by ghype »

If we give a unit the name "Dune Sultan" then he should at least looks like a sultan. Our sprite doesn't.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Well, "sultan" does have the problem that it's a kind of king-like name, so it may not be ideal. But "caravaneer" implies that the unit is a merchant, which is kinda weird.

Regarding "dervish", apparently it's actually of Persian origin. For me it fits well with the naga's dual-wielded swords, though I'm not sure if that has any support in historical use of the term. What are the too specific connotations you're worried about?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

i found this link quite useful https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... _and_ranks

some alternatives for Emir that i like from the list are

Marzban
Spahbed
Istandar
Padan
Framandar
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Edwylm wrote: May 30th, 2019, 2:54 am Marzban
Spahbed
Istandar
Padan
Framandar
Hi Edwylm, I like your ideas but I feel that the original purpose of the DF renaming was to move away from the middle eastern naming. :D
ghype wrote: May 29th, 2019, 2:36 pm If we give a unit the name "Dune Sultan" then he should at least looks like a sultan. Our sprite doesn't.
True. I would say 'Emir' is fine. Its familiar enough that it isn't hard to understand but also it is unique.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 30th, 2019, 12:28 am Regarding "dervish", apparently it's actually of Persian origin.
True but when I look it up the definition says:

Code: Select all

The dervishes are some of the mystical methods of extreme poverty and scorn for conviction and faith. 
They live on the charity of others with the possession of any material possessions.  
They are called "Dervish" in Persia and "Dervish" in Turkey  Darwish is also known as "poor" sometimes, especially in India.

The Sufi dervishes were known for their wisdom, knowledge of medicine, poetry, intelligence and savvy.
ghype

Post by ghype »

About Emir,
Even if I favour Dune Lord over Dune Emir, I must say the "Emir" is a word that is more or less (at least in Europe) some what relatable.
For once we have the United Arab Emirates and for another there is the international aviation/travel company "Emirates".

Hence, Dune Emir is probably more relatable then Dune Sunderer or Dune Cataphrakt.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: May 30th, 2019, 11:34 am About Emir,
Even if I favour Dune Lord over Dune Emir, I must say the "Emir" is a word that is more or less (at least in Europe) some what relatable.
For once we have the United Arab Emirates and for another there is the international aviation/travel company "Emirates".

Hence, Dune Emir is probably more relatable then Dune Sunderer or Dune Cataphrakt.
Very well said, I agree. :)