Poll: Do dragons eat drakes?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do dragons eat drakes?

Dragons never eat drakes
43%
Dragons eat the drakes only if there is no other food
13%
Dragons eat the drakes, but prefer other food
9%
Dragons eat the drakes the same way as other food
30%
Dragons love to eat the drakes more than any other food
4%

Total votes: 23

EarthCake

Poll: Do dragons eat drakes?

Post by EarthCake »

Hello! I have decided to create this poll to see what people think about this subject! Thanks for some of this go to sergey, who inspired me with his polls!

Links to these polls are here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49659 This is a poll: Do orcs eat humans?
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49660 This is a poll: Do drakes eat humans?
gnombat

Re: Poll: Do dragons eat drakes?

Post by gnombat »

I'm not sure drakes are actually edible. From their description, it sounds like they don't leave much of a corpse:
... when one of their kind perishes in combat ... its internal fire is released, burning their remains in to ashes.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

gnombat wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 9:56 pm I'm not sure drakes are actually edible. From their description, it sounds like they don't leave much of a corpse:
... when one of their kind perishes in combat ... its internal fire is released, burning their remains in to ashes.
I didn't mean that they eat corpses, but alive drakes...
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, i think this one is a bit silly. I'm saying no. Even is we somehow get around the whole self-cremation thing, drakes just don't look like they're edible at all.
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

Okay, let me argue in favor of dragons eating drakes. Dragons are brought into existence by the metamorphosis of a drake into an adult form. In any drake flight, there is going to be enough food available to feed at most one dragon. Just think of the calorie requirements of a massive flying, firebreathing lizard. And remember that a drake goes from a hulking humanoid creature to something the size of a house. It needs to eat a MASSIVE amount of meat to be able to reach that weight, and it will need to steal the food of the other drakes - ergo, it's going to kill the entire flight it belongs to by eating all the available foodstuffs. It is obviously going to have to fight the other drakes to claim it's (closing fast on 100%) share of the food, so that means killing others in combat. Now, when our soon-to-be-dragon defeats a challenger without straight-up-killing-it it is going to be famished (and remember that it is in permanent starvation mode until the metamorphosis is done). As the growing dragon exercises ever-more-tyrannical control of the food, it will probably start punishing enemies within the flight by having them fed to it. At some point, probably in wintertime, the flight falls apart under the pressure of starvation. The dragon is forced to hunt on its own, but as a final act of eliminating all competition it probably eats the eggs due to hatch in the summer and eats any drakes foolish enough to stray near its path.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

CalculusKing wrote: June 11th, 2019, 10:37 am ...
...That's a lot of assumptions... Where are they coming from? :hmm:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I have only one reaction to this thread:

Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

Xalzar wrote: June 11th, 2019, 5:05 pm
CalculusKing wrote: June 11th, 2019, 10:37 am ...
...That's a lot of assumptions... Where are they coming from? :hmm:
The fact that drakes are juvenile dragons - https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SecretLore.
The assumption that the newfound dragon is going to eat his flight out of hearth and home: just some fermi estimation of what a dragon is going to need to eat to survive.
As for the whole cannibalism thing: carnivorous lizards seem pretty prone to it IRL. So it's just a guess.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

CalculusKing wrote: June 12th, 2019, 5:15 am The fact that drakes are juvenile dragons - https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SecretLore.
Ok, it's more clear now. I've found out that ESR is a retired developer (last post 2017, last activity exactly one year ago), and he's the only source of that information as far as I know. I know he contributed to Wings of Victory, which is now becoming official. I have seen nothing of that campaign to not spoil me the story for when I'll play it, so I don't know how the Drake lore is handled there.
Also, I found this! A pity that nothing came out from it.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Xalzar wrote: June 12th, 2019, 8:00 am
CalculusKing wrote: June 12th, 2019, 5:15 am The fact that drakes are juvenile dragons - https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SecretLore.
Ok, it's more clear now. I've found out that ESR is a retired developer (last post 2017, last activity exactly one year ago), and he's the only source of that information as far as I know.
That idea also appears in some UMC, although I don't think it is actually mentioned anywhere in mainline.
Spoiler:
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

Xalzar wrote: June 12th, 2019, 8:00 am
Ok, it's more clear now. I've found out that ESR is a retired developer (last post 2017, last activity exactly one year ago), and he's the only source of that information as far as I know. I know he contributed to Wings of Victory, which is now becoming official. I have seen nothing of that campaign to not spoil me the story for when I'll play it, so I don't know how the Drake lore is handled there.
Also, I found this! A pity that nothing came out from it.
He's a well-known open-source programming guru and he has a blog here: http://esr.ibiblio.org/. In Wesnoth, he was the author of The Hammer of Thursagan, and was involved in a lot of lore decisions and worldbuilding. Unfortunately, now doesn't seem to be a good time to bug him about this matter, as he is apparently healing from a significant injury.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Xalzar wrote: June 12th, 2019, 8:00 amI know he contributed to Wings of Victory, which is now becoming official. I have seen nothing of that campaign to not spoil me the story for when I'll play it, so I don't know how the Drake lore is handled there.
Spoiler: