The Fall vs the Great Fall

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sub2pewds

The Fall vs the Great Fall

Post by sub2pewds »

I was chatting with Octalot and wanted to clarify whether the destruction of Weldyn should be called the "Fall" or the "Great Fall". In the "Under the Burning Suns" campaign, it is only referred to as the "Great Fall", as is found in Across the Harsh Sands, Out of the Frying Pan, and Speaking with the Fishes. On the wiki timeline, however, Asa Swain/quartex (one of the two campaign's designers) simply called it the "Fall" back in September 2005. I personally believe that canon reflects what is in the game itself and thus that its name is the "Great Fall".

This determines what we name it in the wiki. Thoughts?
EarthCake

Re: The Fall vs the Great Fall

Post by EarthCake »

I think that we should call it "Fall". In UtBS it is referred as "Great Fall" from perspective of people there (elves, etc. ), and how much it change their lives and lives of their fathers and their father's fathers. So from our perspective, I think that we should call it "Fall".
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I would say from a consistency standpoint, the game and wiki should match. So, if the game uses only "Great Fall", then that should be what the wiki uses. If the game uses both, then I'd say just pick either and make sure to clarify that "Fall" and "Great Fall" refer to the same event.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
sub2pewds

Post by sub2pewds »

@EarthCake, personally, I would disagree. We know they use the term, the "Great Fall", as a proper noun, because the "G" in "Great" is capitalized. So they aren't just saying that the event was great, they are using what they consider to be its name. I reckon we should give it the same name as that which the elves use for it.

@Pentarctagon, yeah, the game itself only uses "Great Fall".

Thanks for the input, all. I'll stick with "Great Fall" for now, but I'm happy to change if consensus determines otherwise. :)