Dead Water

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Curtis

Re: [1.9.x/1.10.x] Dead Water

Post by Curtis »

And thank you for your speedy explanation!
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Attachment contains all events that were modified so you could easily review changes and apply only those you think are necessary. Unfortunately there are introduced 12 new strings.
Two other things:
On a side note would not be better in storm trident macro filter put race=merman instead of listing types since all of a merman are allowed to use it?

Code: Select all

[have_unit] 
                id=Siddry 
                type=Poacher,Trapper,Huntsman,Ranger    # Just in case one of the slaves also has that name 
            [/have_unit]
Above code is from Slavers scenario. Although it does not harm as is id=Siddry would be enough. However if there are doubts to which side this unit belongs at the moment additionally side=1 can be added.
Attachments
dw-revisions.txt
Dead Water campaign revisions
(55.07 KiB) Downloaded 919 times
davkol

Post by davkol »

[bug report]

release: 1.10.6 @ Linux Mint 15
difficulty: nightmare
scenario: 09 The Mage

Bats appear in the cave at night. However,
  1. if you surround the cave, and bats cannot leave it legally, new ones will appear outside the cave when the next turn starts;
  2. if you save the game during computer's turn, and then load it, another batch of bats will appear (usually outside the cave, see the previous point).
Theoretically, you could flood the map with bats.
Attachments
wesnoth_bats.png
GbDorn

Post by GbDorn »

It seems the Swamp of Desolation has been renamed to Black Marshes in 1.12. The following strings should be updated:

In 08_Talkin_to_Tyegea.cfg: "South of the Swamp of Desolation, near a ruined castle, lives a mage named Caladon."

In 10_The_Flaming_Sword.cfg: "Despite its name, the swamp was not actually desolate on the outskirts."
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

[bug][/bug]'Replay' in Invasion 1.10.7 doesn't work. I have setting 1 auto save and playing on difficult. The 'replay' doesn't recognize the spawning village when the Liches unit occupy them and so the 'replay' goes silly off the rails.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Immanuel wrote:The 'replay' doesn't recognize the spawning village
That's odd. It used to work. I don't maintain this campaign any more, but that is a bug with Wesnoth, not the campaign. Replays should not ignore events like that. However, 1.10 is not supported any more, so it won't be fixed there. The current version is 1.12, and a lot of replay errors were fixed for that release. If it does happen in 1.12, you should definitely submit a bug report.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

thanks i'll get 1.12 and give it a go. But in 1.10.7, I tried it a number of times and each replay in invasion went awol. ps, the mermen is the best campaign so far but who assigned it as intermediate. it seems a lot harder than that. no need for replay. keep up the good work and thanks for a great game.
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

I agree with you about its difficulty. I thought this to be the consistently most difficult campaign I've attempted, with multiple attempts needed for almost every scenario. The opening and closing scenarios are the most difficult — and most engaging — non-impossible scenarios I can remember.

I was sorry to read that beetlenaut was no longer supporting this campaign.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Hi!
I finished Dead Water, was not playing it before. For me it was quite an easy campaign even in hardest level of difficulty.
In fact I had some problems at second level, when I made a decision to kill one leader before leaving. Failed to kill Death Knight because spears and tridents are usless vs skeletons so I killed south-west necromancer. I acquired cool bat and a ring and gave that ring to to the bat. Also later I gave a flaming sword to the bat. Not bad dread bat it was at the end!
And last scenario was some challenge too. At first time I created two armies, one goes to the center, and one to the east, to kill lich. But east army got problems vs spectres and nightgaunts. So I made a decision to put everything to the center, on the water. Still was not able to finish this level without losing any units. Other scenarios are not problematic at all and I was not losing any units despite almost did no save'n'loads. Well, may be the level with saurians was a bit challenging, but slaves revolt I made at later stage made really devastating effect on the enemy.
That mermen are sea elves at fact. Same tactics is useful - u get healers with magic attacks and slowers. The difference that elves have all-in one shides and here you have to produce both Diviners and Entanglers. Almost no need in other units, only these 2 types is core. Also diviners's lighting effect is really good when defending vs undead.
Here are replays.
Attachments
DW-Tirigaz_replay.gz
(36.08 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
DW-Slavers_replay.gz
(54.11 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
DW-Wolf_Coast_replay.gz
(31.92 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
DW-Flight_replay.gz
(44.73 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
DW-Invasion!_replay.gz
(34.67 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
Last edited by Aldarisvet on November 2nd, 2015, 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

More 5. Drakes were especially helpless, that was a slaughter.
Attachments
DW-Revenge_replay.gz
(74.43 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
DW-The_Flaming_Sword_replay.gz
(57.32 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
DW-The_Mage_replay.gz
(41.56 KiB) Downloaded 782 times
DW-Bilheld_replay.gz
(39.3 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
DW-Uncharted_Islands_replay.gz
(39.3 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey,
I'm playing through Dead Water now on Wesnoth 1.12.5 and just thought I'd mention some minor things I noticed.
Spoiler:
@Aldarisvet:
I watched a lot of your replays. I actually really like your general playstyle because it's my preferred playstyle too - hit hard, hit fast and never let up. Like you my favorite strategy on S12 Revenge is a fast and brutal rush on the central keep. I think there's a difference between playing aggressively and being overly reckless though: it may seem counterintuitive but actually, if you run for your life like a coward at night you can be more aggressive in the long run because you'll have more units with good health to launch a massive daytime assault.
You mentioned how easy you found the campaign to be on the hardest difficulty, and it seems to me you may have found it a little boring. I think playing through this campaign by using a strong core of veterans to go from one end of the map to the other rolling over everything using save loads is a bit like playing an RPG where you're so overleveled you just wipe the floor with everything- it's satisfying in its own way but it's only a matter of time before it starts to get boring. I actually think Dead Water is one of the most strategic campaigns- you have to plan carefully which units to use in each scenario, where to place your lines, and when to attack or fall back. All while managing gold and XP - there's a lot to think about and for me that's the kind of thing which makes this campaign (and Wesnoth) so interesting.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Well, Secret of the Ancient is much more intresting campaign because undead do not have a universal unit.
For example elvish Shyde is a universal unit. The only thing that can stop fleet of 6 or more of Shydes is berserkers.
Unfortunately, at later stages of Secret of the Ancients it appears that Ancient Lich is a universal unit because of draining ability. Kinda 6 of Ancient Liches would kill all in their way.
The only race that do not have universal unit is Dwarves. They do not have healers and magic attackers (if you do not allow runemasters).
And dwarves are really have different and specialized units lines. You simply cannot afford upgrading only one type of unit. Guardsmans needed in defend, Fighters in attack vs undead and so on.
Unfortunately The Hammer of Thursagan is strategically weak campaign because relatively soon you get human mage healers. In fact Mages of Light is universal unit for humans, masses of them are unstoppable too (versus AI) because they have magic attacks and can heal each other. Well, elvish Shyde are still much better because she can slow.
I would say that Liberty is tactically intresting campaign - you do not have a universal unit here. Bandits, thieves and shadow mages - very different and specialized units lines. Badly needed skirmishers-thieves in the last scenario of Liberty to raze the castle.
devavrata

Re: Dead Water

Post by devavrata »

Development Team wrote: August 21st, 2010, 7:16 pm This is the discussion/general feedback thread for the Dead Water mainline campaign as shipped with Wesnoth 1.9.x.
Really? I actually find two discussion threads for the Dead Water mainline campaign: The thing is, the "Discussion Thread" link in the wiki page https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Mainline_Campaigns, that usually links to the "General > Gameplay Feedback > Mainline Campaign Feedback" thread, for the "Dead Water" campaign it links to the "Development > Scenario & Campaign Development > Mainline Campaign Development" thread instead. I see that most users in the forum have managed to find the "Mainline Campaign Feedback" thread anyway, but I think the link should be corrected so gamers don't end up in the developers thread.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

devavrata wrote: March 30th, 2019, 2:10 pm the link should be corrected
Done. Thanks for the report. And please create a wiki account :)
egallager

Post by egallager »

I opened PR #5268 for the changes I made to the campaign while playing it.