[Historical] Son of the Black Eye Updated!

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Just a small release, 1.3.1. Updated some of the transalations and patched a few minor bugs. I mainly released this in preperation for the QAP (affectionatly known as the QRAP Pack :-P)

More info can be found here:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I noticed that this campaign still uses the old green-skinned Kapou'e sprite, instead of the newer brown-skinned one that exists in mainline. Was this intentional, or an oversight?

Also, a few spelling/grammar errors in the first scenario (End of Peace):

"week little humans" should be "weak little humans".
"steel from Kapou'e" should be "steal from Kapou'e".
"infested of dwarves" should be "infested with dwarves".
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I didn't know there was a brown sprite for a Great Troll. Now that you point it out, perhaps I should make one even if there isn't...

Thanks also for pointing out those spelling errors. I'll have them fixed in the next release.

Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I think you misunderstood, I mean the Orcish Leader unit (and upgrades), not the Great Troll. I don't think there is a new Great Troll, although it would be nice if there were.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The sounds and animations of the Kapou'e Orcish Leader line are still messed up. Also, there's a completely redundant normal Orcish Leader line in.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Orcish Leader... :oops: right... (now that wasn't my hottest moment was it?) I guess I associated Green with the old trolls. Anyhow I'll get the new sprites from the mainline and add them to the next version. Thanks again :-)

tashi

Couple Bugs

Post by tashi »

Windows XP
Wesnoth 1.2.2
Version 1.3.1 Last updated 1/20/07

Kapoue Leader CFG file
Line 19 die_sound=ork-die-2.ogg should be die_sound=orc-die-2.ogg

Siege CFG File

At the beginning of Siege of Barag Gor, the Scout activities are all messed up. The scout is not shown on the map. His messages are not shown. Just Etheliels replies. I see the scouts messages and the little chase routine in the cfg file but they do not show in the scenerio.
tashi

Siege of Barag Gor

Post by tashi »

Just how do you beat Siege of Barag Gor now? When I last played this so many moons ago, to win you moved the shamans and the orc leader to the sign post on the left hand side of the Map. And there was only one Elf fort. Now there are 4 forts and I don't see the option to escape to the West. I take it I have to beat all 4 Elf Leaders now?

The best I have gotten so far (on easy) is to get to the last Leader just as time runs out.

I usally kill the SouthEast and North East leaders, then the NorthWest before tackleing the south West leader in the forest. Have not won it yet.
peckie

Post by peckie »

Hi! I really like fighting with trolls!
up to date the only adventures with them are son of the black eye and the one with the elves of the desert right?
Thanks
Luksa

Post by Luksa »

I must admit that Barag Gor mission is really tough.

I play on hardest and it took me 4-5 days don't know exactly. But still I enjoyed it, it was like going through hell.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hey tashi

Sorry for the late reply, i just have been travelling for the past couple of weeks...

About Barag Gor, it's as Luksa said, it's tough! But on the other hand, this is supposed to be a tough campaign, so be sure you are playing on the difficulty that is right for you. As it was, it took be about 5 or 6 tries before i was able to beat it myself on medium, and i am the one that made the bloody thing!

But basically, the trick is to hit hard, hit fast and streach yourself to the limit. I usually split my forces in two, sending most of my level 2's south to take out that leader, while Kapou'e and the rest to reinfoce the city. if you are fast enough, your level 2 force can take out the closest elf without too much trouble, and then move on the next one. It is also essential that you hold the city however, because a large chunk of the villages are right there. the fighting there will also hold the attention of the bulk of the elves and let your strike force do their job more effectivly.

Hope this helps and best of luck :-)

JimBass

Post by JimBass »

Greetings all!

I hit a minor/major snag with SOTBE, and I'd like a bit of help on how I can correct it. I'm playing the 1.2 version of the game, with the newest SOTBE, just downloaded from the campaign server Saturday.

I actually started this campaign about a year ago, and a technical snag forced me to stop playing. In the Back_Home scenario, when I killed the human general to finish, I would get the message "unable to find 'civil_war'. I downloaded a binary editor and found that in my saves the next scenario was identified as civil_war, when it should have been Civil_War. I made that minor correction, killed the general, and was able to start Civil_War. Here is where the problem arises.

Gruu is gone. Not only is he gone, but his entire "team" which he lead in Back_Home of 10 or so trolls are also gone. The scenario objectives still tell me if Gruu dies the game is over, but it doesn't draw him. he does a great job of surviving, as I was able to beat Civil_War without him, but I really need him and his trolls back for The_Coward and whenever I can find and kill Shaun_Taug. So, I have gruu and his team alive for my final save of Back_Home, but they are gone at the start of Civil_War. I tried checking the cache files, and my saves files to see if I could just insert the "missing" trolls, but I can't figure out how that should be done. A search for the location of the correct save/cache files also yielded nothing.

Please let me know what files I should edit, and if you need to see saves or any other files, I'm more than willing to post them.

Thanks,
JimBass
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hello again Jimbass

So if I am reading you right, you continued the campaign from your saved 'Back Home' right? The thing is that when I orignally made the sequil to that scenario (civil war) I had to go back and do some re-codding of 'Back Home' pertaining to Gruu and his trolls. Anyhow, to make a long story short, you have to play the scenario from the very beggining of 'Back Home' if you want to get the trolls back.

Otherwise, if you really feel like taking a short cut, just add Gruu, and however many trolls you want manually. You would have to go into the scenario.cfg file that you are playing, and type something like this into the 'start' event:

Code: Select all

[unit]
side=1
type=Great Troll
description=Gruu (you may need to copy his name from an eariler cfg file as it has some special characters)
x=wherever you want to put him
y=wherever you want to put him
[/unit]

[unit]
type=Troll
side=1
description=Long Lost Troll
x=see above
y=see above
[/unit]

##and to make it so you can recruit trolls again

[allow_recruit]
side=1
type=Troll Whelp
[/allow_recruit]
There may be a bug or two in the code as I have no way of checking it at the moment, but I am sure you get the basic idea.

Have fun :-)

JimBass

Post by JimBass »

Thanks for the help Taurus. Rather than possibly mess up Gruu's placement or statistics, I'll load my last save of the game before Back Home, play that out, and start with a fresh Back Home where everything works out correctly.

Peace,
JimBass
Ardenstone

Much fun, small typo

Post by Ardenstone »

I just finished the campaign and had a blast doing so. Thanks for putting it together.

In the Epilogue dialog, it talks about reforming the conceal, which I think is supposed to be council. Not a big deal, but figured it'd probably be an easy fix when you have a moment. It'll make the ending that much more grand!

Thanks again!