Disconnect / ouf of sync / lag problems

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
sweeper

Disconnect / ouf of sync / lag problems

Post by sweeper »

Hello everybody,

first thank you all for this great game. I really enjoy it, especially running multiplayer. But exactly here's the problem. About one third to one half of all multiplayer games seem to have a disconnection / out of sync error. After one or more rounds suddenly the game hangs at somebody's turn and stays there. Sometimes it rushes after that and you get your turn but often the games don't proceed. Messages don't reach the other participants in time or at all. And if you get connection / synchronization again, in a lot of cases the other parties have left already understandably.

I have played also with firewalls disabled with wesnoth 1.12.x, 1.14.x and with several ISPs, but still I get these annoying disconnection / lagging / out of sync errors. I've read the information existing tho this kind of problem, but I've tried the solutions already with no success. Games that are opened by me seem to be stable to the end. Thanks in advance for any information and hints regarding to this.

sweeper

EDIT: current version is 1.14.12 (but it occurs also on earlier versions as said above), OS: Debian Wheezy (7.0) GNU/Linux, Slackware64 14.2, LFS 9.0 (the same on every installation), German location and locales (if you need something else I'll provide it)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Disconnect / ouf of sync / lag problems

Post by Pentarctagon »

Potentially helpful would be the output when Wesnoth is started with --log-debug=network and you experience the problem.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
sweeper

Post by sweeper »

Pentarctagon wrote: June 19th, 2020, 9:48 pm Potentially helpful would be the output when Wesnoth is started with --log-debug=network and you experience the problem.
Thank you for your reply. I attached together with the system and build info file a log of a session today, covering also a match ( http://replays.wesnoth.org/1.14/2020/06 ... 12270).bz2 , 2020-06-21 09:33) where I again observed the problem.

Basically, while the normal game experience we all enjoy is, that there is a more or less continous flow of events, sometimes with more or less activity and inactivity, but nervertheless continous, the observed issue here is, that for several minutes there seems to be nothing happening, no movement, no messages and suddenly all events are rushing till the current moment and you see that everyone is waiting for you. Then you make your movements, end your turn and anything is freezing again. So it repeats.

I also checked again the firewall at the ISP's router, and it is still open for Wesnoth with TCP, ports 14980-15020. It would be awesome if the log can tell something about the problem.
Attachments
wesnoth_syncissue200621_0.tar.bz2
(55.35 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I didn't notice anything in the log, unfortunately. My best guess would just be that it somehow involves the network in between your PC and the server though, since if it were a server-side delay then it would affect everyone, which you've said isn't the case.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code