Strange crash when loading scenario

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
tribes55

Strange crash when loading scenario

Post by tribes55 »

I just finished writing a small dialogue scenario for my campaign, and I was testing it to see if there were any errors, and fixing them. Once I got them all fixed, I tried to load the game, and I got this error:

I'm on version 1.14.14, on Windows 10.

To elaborate, I just finished making this new scenario and was loading it to see if the game found any errors, and fixing each of them. I tried reloading the game, it happened again.

I found the issue was that I mistakenly assigned a unit to a side which I didn't define with [modify_unit]. Once I fixed it to an existing side, the problem was resolved.
I was told to post it here as a bug

Logs:
Spoiler:
Thank you all for the time you take to fix these problems for such a cool game!
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: Strange crash when loading scenario

Post by Soliton »

tribes55 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 9:08 pm I found the issue was that I mistakenly assigned a unit to a side which I didn't define with [modify_unit]. Once I fixed it to an existing side, the problem was resolved.
Please post the actual WML to reproduce this issue.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
tribes55

Re: Strange crash when loading scenario

Post by tribes55 »

The entire scenario is about 200 lines of code, so I've put it down below. I believe the problem was fixed when I changed [side] 6 to side 2.

Code: Select all

[scenario]
id="10_Respite"
name= _ "10_Respite"
map_data="{~add-ons/AFriendshipTested/maps/10_Respite.map}"
victory_when_enemies_defeated=no
{SCENARIO_MUSIC "weight_of_revenge.ogg"}
{DUSK}

[side]
	side=1
	id=Gandfal
	name= _ "Gandfal"
	team_name=Outcasts
	flag=flags/knalgan-flag-[1~4].png:150
    flag_icon=flags/knalgan-flag-icon.png
	recruit=Poacher, Thief, Thug, Footpad, Rogue Mage
	controller=human
	x,y=6,3
	fog=yes
[/side]

[side]
	side=6
	no_leader=yes
	hidden=yes
	team_name=Outcasts
	income=0
	gold=0
	{FLAG_VARIANT long}
[/side]

[event]
	name=prestart
	{RECALL_XY Shokulas 6 1}
	{RECALL_XY Harlar 6 1}
	{RECALL_XY Barol 6 1}
	{RECALL_XY Squid 6 1}
	{RECALL_XY Gandfal 5 4}
	{RECALL_XY Locket 6 4}
	{RECALL_XY Angrithang 7 5}
	{RECALL_XY Edward 6 5}

{RECALL_XY Ebson 6 7}
	{RECALL_XY Kebos 8 6}
	{RECALL_XY Egim 9 8}
	{RECALL_XY Raouel 2 7}
	{RECALL_XY Roger 5 8}
	{RECALL_XY Drane 4 8}
	[modify_unit]
		[filter]
			id=Ebson,Kebos,Egim,Raouel,Roger,Drane
		[/filter]
			side=2
	[/modify_unit]

[/event]

[event]
	name=start
	[message]
		speaker=narrator
		message = _ "After the mysterious group of light spent a night in search of remaining undead and dark power, they convened with the Hollians."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Ebson
		message = _ "Hail, Locket, leader of these men. And hail Gandfal, leader of these dwarves before us."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Locket
		message = _ "It is my pleasure."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Gandfal
		message = _ "What are ye? Some sort of knight?"
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Ebson
		message = _ "Once, yes. I am now a paladin, a head of the expedition sent here after the disapperance of Edward's men and reports of a dark power."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Angrithang
		message = _ "Sent by who? The king of men?"
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Ebson
		message = _ "No, we do not answer to any king or lord. We were sent by our order, which I dare not name-- it is not relevant, and its name would be meaningless nonetheless. But there is a matter that we cannot ignore any longer."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Gandfal
		message = _ "That is?"
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Harlar
		message = _ "..."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Kebos
		message = _ "That is, we all witnessed the dark magics which you conjured, Locket, leader of these men. "
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Locket
		message = _ "Dark? I have used my ability to serve no dark purpose, only to defend myself and my people. I cannot see how such a force is dark."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Kebos
		message = _ "Nevertheless, this power is dark, and corrupting. "
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Edward
		message = _ "Kebos, Ebson-- I have witnessed these men. Not once did I witness any such darkness. It is true that Locket and a few other seem to posess a.. unnatural ability, similar to what we have noticed the dark powers to posess. But clearly he has not fallen victim to further temptations. In fact, quite a mastery of these arts, without becoming their slave, is rather unique-- an anomaly. "
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Ebson
		message = _ "Everything we know of these matters would suggest that these powers are a corrupting influence. If you have not witnessed necromancy on part of these men, then it is something we shall, hesitantly, overlook for the time being."
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=Kebos
		message = _ "Beware, Locket, and I do not say this with impunity. It is possible that you may be an anomaly, as Edward has suggested. However, if I come across your likeness again, and sense the power, the darkness has manifested itself further, then we shall be forced to act."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Locket
		message = _ "I could only hope to have a conversation of greater length of the matter, but perhaps is not the time."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Angrithang
		message = _ "No, it is not. Hail, humans of an unknown order. I am a runemaster of the Blackhand clan, situated in the Estmark mountains south of here. May I ask, what is the situation of the kingdom of Wesnoth?"
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Ebson
		message = _ "Frail, I am sad to report. Internal strife, civil conflict and challenges to the throne's legitimacy has weakened the kingdom the past few decades. However, these are not affairs which we concern ourselves. Our persuit is purely dedicated to light, not the greed of men, or ephemeral dynasties."
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Kebos
		message = _ "I must grant you a token of my respect, Dwarf: It was my understand that there were none of your kind -- runemasters, runesmiths, that is, remaining. "
	[/message]	
	[message]
		speaker=Locket
		message = _ "With the kingdom in such a weak state, what of us? My people come as refugees, from our ransacked home to the south. We were once a part of Wesnoth, yet no more. We have no association with any king, nor any kingdom. We are our own people. We came here in search of a new home, only to find the undead horde, and then you."
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=Ebson
		message = _ "Yes, indeed. An unfortunate and complicated scenario. I am afraid that I am no authority of the matters of men. We do not work at the behest of any lord or king. However, I can inform you that the kingdom currently has no interests in these lands. I do not believe there would be conflict by your settling here, Hollians."
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=Locket
		message = _ "With the necromancer defeated, we shall settle here. I know not what comes next for us, but we must look forward. We must rebuild our communities, and build up our fortifications. There are sure to eventually be further incursions, Orcs, Humans or Undead. "
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=Kebos
		message = _ "I am afraid we cannot help you in this endeavor. We must leave, as we have other matters to attend to. The undead here has been destroyed. For that, we owe you our appreciation.  "
	[/message]
{MOVE_UNIT id=Edward 8 5}	
	[message]
		speaker=narrator
		message = _ "A muffled exchange between the two mages occurs."
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=Shokulas
		message = _ "What's with the secrecy, eh, light knights and mages?!"
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=Edward
		message = _ "Locket, with your permission, I shall stay in your company. I have further matters to attend to here. Perhaps my abilities can be useful to you, and you can help me."
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=Locket
		message = _ "And keep an eye on us, eh?"
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=Kebos
		message = _ "Farewell, Hollians and Dwarves. If our paths cross again, I hope it to be on better terms than this."
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=Locket
		message = _ "Farewell. Time for us to get to work."
	[/message]
	[message]
		speaker=narrator
		message = _ "This campaign is unfinished. More scenarios will be added in the future."
	[/message]

[endlevel]
		result=victory
		carryover_percentage=100
		bonus=0
		result=victory
	[/endlevel]
[/event]	
[/scenario]