[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 3 - An Unexpected Appearance

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

flammstrudel

Re: Scenario Review - EI: An Unexpected Appearance

Post by flammstrudel »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.10.3 hard (Challenging - Royal Guard)
180 gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5 (for the western leader)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Avoiding unnecessary losses.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
It's good. 7/10

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe a few tier 2 units for both leaders.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I restarted the level once. The first time I played pretty bad. Derp.
Attachments
EI-An_Unexpected_Appeara..._replay.gz
(22.57 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

normal, 1.12.2, had around 300 gold
2 with 2lvl heavy infantry and two mages
perfectly clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
very good and the start then very bad at the end - when killed necromancer yells:"No, you have killed me and now have passsage to ... !". maybe he should yel lsomething like "how could i have faield you, brothers? these living ones are now going to get back to Wesnoth!.."
none. was keeping tight formation and hammering everything that was standing in my way. pretty simple.
3. there are some pressure from the other side, but none of their fighter even reached me.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
maybe expand the map a little bit and give eastern enemy few more villages?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
no, even tho half of my squad managed to whiff EVERY SINGLE attack and left one shock trooper at almost no HP, after what he managed ot evade multiple hits - including magic attacks - and stay alive. magic.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 222 starting gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 7 (to achieve the more difficult kill of the eastern leader)
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? I think it should be made clearer how your choice affects the next scenarios. I would definitely have gone west had I not read the walkthrough when I played this campaign years earlier.
(5) Challenges? preserving some gold (I failed miserably at doing this)
(6) Fun? (1-10) 5
(7) Changes? -
(8) Restarts? None.

I spend all my gold and end up deeply negative and also take a lot of turns to finish - I do not recommend doing this, as the next scenario is extremely difficult with minimum gold.
Attachments
EI-An_Unexpected_Appeara..._replay.gz
(32.47 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
LordWolfDan

Re: Scenario Review - EI 3 - An Unexpected Appearance

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Easy

- Clear, kill one of the dark sorcerers

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Well, I guess it is fine. Though I think Dacyn's line where they should go could be left out

- None

- To have an option to kill both enemy leaders, then make your choice whether you want to go to the west or east. And I'd remove that line when Dacyn says they should go west.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.5 Hard

Clear.

4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Nice enough.

Removing the western wave before turning to the east and actually making it there in time. (I really want those loyal Paladin and Knights.)

-

No.
Attachments
EI-An Unexpected Appearance replay.gz
(24.89 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
Xindage

Post by Xindage »

1.15.7, Normal (Normal - Swordsman)
223 gold

4 (Could be harder without healers)

Clear.

None.

7 (It's a solid scenario, Defend them attack.)

To make it more fun i dunno what can be changed, but about the scenario itself i think it should be narrow to remove some of the unreachable houses or just remove these houses, for example there's a house on tile (2,1).

Nope.

(9) About the replay.
I recruited some soldiers that I could lose and just stood in my keep defending myself from attacks, when the number of enemies decreased, I started to march in front of the green leader.
I got a red mage at the end and another white mage and leveled up a few other soldiers and my leader.
I've no idea how that shock trooper evaded 4 attacks at 30% def, it was much luck.
Attachments
EI-An Unexpected Appearance replay 20201121-233647.gz
(25.91 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.6 Royal Guard (difficult)
very
I like the way your choice of branching paths is built in to the way the scenario is designed, i.e. your army travels east if you beat the eastern leader, west if you beat the western leader.
The dialogue was very bland. Gweddry just asks obvious questions, Dacyn gives basic exposition, but neither of them has much personality. Honestly, the undead leaders were more interesting in how they callously let their adept get killed.
none. very easy.
2. basically a much easier version of the first scenario, not much interesting after you make the choice of which leader to kill.
A greater variety of units for the enemies would be great, especially ghosts and dark adepts that would encourage players to diversify their forces away from HI. Some level 2 units for the enemies would increase the challenge, which I think it currently too low at the highest difficulty setting.

It might also be fun to have a bunch of undead pop up out of the trap door midway through the scenario, pursuing you like they did in the last scenario. This would encourage players to make their decision quickly and press toward one of the leaders, rather than turtling up in the starting keep, and would add more pressure.

More variety of terrain would be good too. There are a lot of mountains and swamps around the edges of the map, but the routes between your starting keep and both opponents are big wide swathes of flat terrain. More difficult terrain in the center would encourage more variety in recruitment and strategy.

Dacyn and Gweddry could develop their characters more in the dialogue. This seems like a good place for Dacyn and Gweddry to argue about which path to take, with Dacyn favoring the more conservative western route and Dacyn being young and brash and wanting to take on Mal Ravanal head-on. This would give Dacyn a chance to drop some hints about his history with Ravanal.
Attachments
EI-An Unexpected Appearance replay 20230118-173636.gz
(22.87 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Xindage

Post by Xindage »

1.18.0 - Incursion - Biased RNG
208 Starting Gold.
2 Laughable.
Great, Mentioning the next difficult of your choices is a really good touch.
Its fine. seems kinda plain but still fine.
At least the dialogue between the enemies at me on both endings are nice.
Trying to have both opponents at my grasp at the same time, I've lost a fencer because it.
I think we need more enemies, just a little.
And maybe allowing us to be able to kill both enemies and choose the way later like in Hott?
(8) Replay/Other notes.
Just to mention again I did both mission at once but only who dies first can lock me on the path, this way I can play both later, here I have the save that you guys can load as replay instead, so it'll stop before either of these 2 actions bellow.
Awyr Bowman - Deliver the final blow with short knife at Mal-Skraat (Next, An Elven Interlude)
Dacyn White mage - Deliver the final blow with light beam at Mal-Kallat (Next, Ill Humours)

Now about the replay, I just recalled my veteran unis and recruit some new ones, and set 2 forces to each side while I send a fencer to grab some of the farthest houses, my mages did a easy work from blue troops while I slowly progresses into purple territory with a mixed army.

There's a small lua error that appears on the log if Dacyn dies, it mentions that the scenario ending happened twice or something like this.
Attachments
EI-An Unexpected Appearance Turn 12.gz
(57.54 KiB) Downloaded 4 times