[Historical] Scenario Review: EI 18a - The Duel

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review: EI 18a - The Duel

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
monochromatic

Re: Scenario Review: EI 18a - The Duel

Post by monochromatic »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
2 - Mal-Ravanal came out bravely froze my holy Royal Guard to death. But that enabled me to kill him with my other units.
Clear, but you'd never know he'd cheat!
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not really. They're both whiners. Man up, you people!
Nemocracers were not easy to take down since they had arcane resists.
7 - okay for an ending scenario.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
As is.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Didn't check.
Overall, a nice campaign. Check out my review of this campaign on my blog below! (in my sig).
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging; 1.8.3

4. I had to recall a mere shock trooper, who barely survived the arcane zaps.

Clear.

Okay, but it's a little strange to hear the undead leader trying to morally justify his actions (of pulling more troops out of the ground.) He should just say something like, "You won't be whining after you're dead." Ending dialog is good.

With only six units, any loss is critical. Several units almost died and a silver mage finally did.

Okay as is.

No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Attachments
EI-The_Duel_replay.gz
(23.98 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium

Kill Mal-Revanal.

Good.

Really just surviving the initial onslaught. If you do as the wiki suggests and make sure you get the first attack, this isn't too bad.

I think there is a bug in that the Revenant MR recalls on turn 5 appears outside the field of play (see attached replay).

Yes, first time I thought "I'll pin MR in the tunnel with my cavalry with a MoL behind him and just beat him to a pulp". Well, he killed the cavalry and then I thought, "Gweddry will finish him, how appropriate." Well, you can guess what happened.

Clear if not well commented.

BTW, I've also tried playing Weldyn Besieged (with min gold) and am getting my butt kicked over and over. The Duel seems clearly the easier of the two.
Attachments
EI-The_Duel_replay.gz
(21.61 KiB) Downloaded 1015 times
KingsIndian

Post by KingsIndian »

1.8.4, Normal
Crystal
Very - it makes a change from all that commanding a large army!
Beating the RNG - when my two Paladins attacked Mal-Ravanal, only 1 of their 5 strikes hit on both occasions, despite a 50% CTH. In the end, I did win, but I lost everyone except Gweddry...even Dacyn.
10. Like a said before, a very different challenge from normal.
None at all.
No. However, after winning, I decided to re-play the last few turns to give myself the emotional satisfaction of Dacyn surviving :P .
N/A
santosis

Post by santosis »

Medium 1.8.5

Very clear - kill big bad guy.

The end was a bit of a let down. I wanted some dialogue between Dacyn and the lich; perhaps some trash talk when Gweddry lands the killing blow

I lost everyone (3 paladins, a great mage, a white mage) but Dacyn and Gweddry; a few unlucky rolls hurt me early.

8 - quite fun, especially because its winner take all.

It plays well as is--and it allows people who got wiped out in evacuation a chance to level a few good troops and win the game legit. I would probably require Dacyn, and stipulate that he survive the scenario.

One replay, I lost Gweddry to a combination of bad luck and aggressive strategy.
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.4.

4, the undead units were no big problem for my units with mainly arcane attacks.

Clear

All in all good. What I would find even better, is a memorial for Dacyn and/or Owaec in the Epilogue, if they died during this scenario. It's strange, if they are not even mentioned, although they were so important during the campaign (at least Dacyn).

Ravanal is quite tough.

7, I like final scenarios with epic battles more.

None

No
BroodKiller

Post by BroodKiller »

Normal, 1.8.5
2....waaaaay too easy. I used 3 Iron Maulers, 2 MoLs, and an ArchMage....please, give me a break. If you get the first strike, then it's basically over, I sent 3 enemies packing in the initial clash, and left 2 more at 50% health.
Crystal.
Nice enough for the ending of the campaign, although a final-blow talk between Dacyn and Mal-Revenal would be nice, I think.
None.
The 'reinforcements' that the lich gets should be either stronger, or appear at least one more time, prefereably both. Once they appeared, they didn't even slow me down in moving to the lich.
Yes, attacking Mal-Revenal with Gweddry. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

EDIT:Forgot to include the replay and fixed some text.
Attachments
EI-The_Duel_replay.gz
(21.8 KiB) Downloaded 830 times
Clean...Simple...Devious...I like it
Skromer

Post by Skromer »

Easy, 1.6.3
Crystal
Dialog good, story (and uniqueness of the scenario) was excellent.
Constantly losing too many of the units to complete the scenario. Finally out of desperation, recalled just my 1 grand knight, along with 5 horsemen recruits. Sent the horsemen en-mass to the east, sent the grand knight stright north hugging the wall. Mal always goes straight west along the north wall, by himself- the grand knight can take him out with 2 hits.

podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

"3", I had 4 arcane melee damage-dealers, Light Mage, Mauler and Arch Mage. The only trick was arranging a first strike in a lit cave area.

clear

fine

none

6, nice enough

I like it as is

Overall campaign impressions:
I've played almost all of the mainline campaigns, and this one is horrendously worse than others from the dialogues/storyline perspective. This is it's biggest flaw I beleive.
Another thing is some scenarios require a good deal of tweaking/fixing, the dragon in particular. I also like the Owaec to be quick, and his "shock" skill does not work now.
As is, I think it's around 6/10 quality & fun rating. Could be definitely improved to 8/10 or so.

Nevertheless, I can say I like the campaign, and was not annoyed/frustrated by it, like I was at certain points in HttT, or DiD, or UtBS.
Attachments
EI-The_Duel_replay.gz
(29.68 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

hwu! after l finally complete this campaign in hardest level without save/load, l found it is actually meaningless. THIS CAMPAIGN SUCKS! THE STORY DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE!!
Look at this route: the southeast, then the heros head north, then north north and north......their final aim is to reach Weldyn. WHAT THE HELL are they doing in the far north?? ln lake vrug!! What the hell are they doing there????? That doesnt make any sense!! Weldyn is just so near to the estmark fortress......though the campaign desingner seemed to have given us some "reasonable" excuses, but time after time their ration went to madness. Just look where they've gone. Are Greddery"s troops undead? They don't feel tired?? With very little losses(actually the designer make so many scenarios would lead to an increase of our higher level units, we all know this), they finally got back after this EXTRAORDINARILY RIDICULOUS TREK!! Their epic save could match The Chinese Long March!
Oh come on dude! Common sense! At least the Chinese lost 90% of their troops. After l got mad recalling all lv3s and vanished all orcs in the Evacuation, l lost fewthing but two IMs. This camapign is ridiculous! For a very simple objective the band chose the most unbelieveble option again and again. These people are either FOOLISH ENOUGH or FOOLISH ENOUGH!!!!
Look at this final duel......Mal Ravanal should have won this--why did he lose? Because he is also an idiot? Possibly, because his antagonists have already proved their foolihment.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Thank you for the feedback. Please take a moment to read the posting guidelines. All feedback is appreciated, but perhaps in the future you can be a bit less irrational and angry?
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

sorry dude. l just finished that with big costs. But after that l thought l was cheated so l became a little annoyed. sorry again, my sincere apology
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

But speak the truth, do you really think Eastern Invasion could make a little bit common sense?

l can give a satisfying explantion: at that year the war begins, Dacyn was 92. He was too old to keep his conscienceness, so he made wrong tactics again and again.

Or: maybe Gweddery and Dacyn just want to go for a over-wesnoth travel, since their jobs tensed them up, they need to go far North country for fresh air and relaxation. Thus they made a story that they've been traped by orcs, actually they enjoyed a good week at a five star hotel called Orc Caves. lol~
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, everyone agrees that EI makes rather little sense and that it'd be nice if someone would fix it, yet no one has done so. That's pretty much all there is to it, really.