Updating older versions

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Halbling

Updating older versions

Post by Halbling »

Hey all!

I'm sure you've heard this question over and over again, but I couldn't find my answer. So, if there's a topic, which exactly helps me, I would be glad to get the link ;)

I got Version 1.12.6 and would like to update to the 1.14.x series and, for best, the newest version of it.
Cause I'm not playing very often I'm still trying to get all campaings done. (I had it on 1.10.x, but lost the states by changing to 1.12.6.)

So, is there any possibility to get the newest version and keeping my states?
I've read something about xdelta...

The changes for my selfmade stuff I've got to do on my own, don't I?

Thanks for helping!
Halbling

PS: If there is someone to help me in German, I would be very glad! My English is not that bad, but there are many technical terms, I don't know. Sorry...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Updating older versions

Post by Pentarctagon »

You can try moving your save files from 1.12 to 1.14, but there's no guarantee they will continue working in 1.14.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Halbling wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 6:41 pm So, is there any possibility to get the newest version and keeping my states?
You can just install multiple versions of Wesnoth on the same computer. You didn't tell us what's your operating system, but there's nothing forbidding you from installing versions 1.10.7, 1.12.6 and 1.14.12 at the same time.
Halbling wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 6:41 pm So, is there any possibility to get the newest version and keeping my states?
If you install multiple versions, each series has its own userdata directory, so you don't lose your states. Clearly, if you install an add-on on the 1.10.x version you'll have to keep playing that add-on on that version, for example.
Halbling wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 6:41 pm The changes for my selfmade stuff I've got to do on my own, don't I?
Exactly. There's a Python script called wmllint which automatically makes some of the required changes, but you'll also have to take a look at the changelog and see if some of the WML you used in your stuff got some updates or incompatibilities.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Halbling

Post by Halbling »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 8:14 pm If you install multiple versions, each series has its own userdata directory, so you don't lose your states. Clearly, if you install an add-on on the 1.10.x version you'll have to keep playing that add-on on that version, for example.
I would have liked it to get everything to the new version ;), but it seems, there's no way to do it.
I'll take it, as it is, thanks to both of you!

Greetings
Halbling
Halbling

Post by Halbling »

Me again, just one question left:
Updating versions within the same series works by just downloading the newest one, my personell data will be left untouched, don't they?

And you guys are working hard for the next series. How long it may take, till 1.16.0 will be availabel?

Thanks
Halbling
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The existing 1.12 saves, add-ons, etc will not be modified.

As far as 1.16, that hasn't been determined yet.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code