V1.7/1.8 SP Scenario Review: LoW 11 - The Battle of the Book

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

V1.7/1.8 SP Scenario Review: LoW 11 - The Battle of the Book

Post by Content Feedback »

The Legend of Wesmere, scenario 11 - The Battle of the Book:

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
generalvalter

Re: Scenario Review: LoW 11 - The Battle of the Book

Post by generalvalter »

I would agree about adding more money to the arch mage for drake hiring. I would rather fight 14 or 15 level 2 units than 6 level 3s. As it currently stands, I was able to wipe out the drake forces on the first night, and the arch mage never hired another unit. I was playing on medium, but this map was much easier than the previous level.
Majki-Fajki

Post by Majki-Fajki »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.7.5

4/10

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Poor. At the begginig of the battle, there should be dialogue. My idea (sketch of it) would be like this:
EVIL MAGE Now you shall be defeated at last! Too many years you possesed knolwlege, wchich should be in much powerful hands! Mine!
GOOD MAGE Never I shall pass you that book. And Yours allies shall be burn alive, just like you!
EVIL MAGE So old, yet so foolish... It's natural, that old ones share with younger and stronger. Be prepared, I shall relieve you from that burden of life!
TROLL BOSS You hea'rd da boss! Smash'em I bring me their skullz!

In a few words. EVIL MAGE should be something like "yonger student posseded by pursiut of power". GOOD MAGE should sound powerful, his old and very strong. He should talk like one. And TROLL BOSS... He's in the battle, it should bu justified. Simple argument - $$$. And the story begins to develop...

What I wrote is just a sketch of course, need polishing. I could help in story-telling area of BoW. PM me.
<sorry for my english>

Recall/Recruit as few units as possible, than kick dragons' asses and yet be on time in GOOD MAGE stronhold on time, just before Trolls get there.

5. I like massacre Drakes.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Better storyline. It's has potencial, it should be used in the dialoge area. For example, when EVIL MAGE dies, TROLL BOSS could say something alike "Da Boss is smashed! Ha! Now oll golda is oursa! Get them boyz!"

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Stupid like brick GOOD MAGE. Show me guy, who runs into buch of level2 troll alone (exept Jet Li maybe).
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

hard; 1.8.2

2, a sharp contrast to most of the rest of this campaign (usually about a 9.)

Clear, but I didn't know which fortress to find the target leader in. Perhaps that is intentional.

Before our forces got there, it's unclear how the wizard held out with a few mages while hordes of trolls and drakes approached. I think he said he was under siege. I was expecting a more static ring of forces around a fortress, which would be interesting. In general, I don't like the Wesnoth way of starting with only leaders, who then recruit entire armies. I'd rather see the initial army arrayed in a sensible manner, with the leaders then recruiting 1-3 units at a time for reinforcements.

My biggest challenge was that I forgot to recall healers. I had only a shaman recruit and Cleodil the Shyde. So, I made it a priority to promote the shaman to druid and succeeded. The combat with the drakes was a bit tense, but the forest mitigated their threat. Likewise, my token dwarf force sent to the east had the mountains to keep them from taking too much damage at once.

Uh, you do realize that you give more time on hard, right? From the Wiki, "Turns: 30/34/38 (easy/medium/hard)". It is indeed 38 turns for hard. So, I got a ton of gold from my early finish on turn 12. Could have easily been turn 11.

No.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3 Medium

3, no real challenges, some tense fighting against the Drakes. This starting with minimum gold (100).

Kill bad guy, keep good guy alive.

Fine.

Guessing which fortress the Aquagar is in. But I played it once before...

7, nice and quick. Fighting Drakes, a new experience, was neat.

Maybe a little more pressure on Crelanu from the Trolls? He was a long way from being threatened.

No.
Maiklas3000 wrote:Uh, you do realize that you give more time on hard, right? From the Wiki, "Turns: 30/34/38 (easy/medium/hard)". It is indeed 38 turns for hard. So, I got a ton of gold from my early finish on turn 12. Could have easily been turn 11.
Just to second this, I did indeed get 34 turns on Medium (and finished on turn 10). Perhaps this is intentional to give Hard more gold for human alliance.

I now go into Human Alliance with 412 gold and a solid stock of recalls...
Yrth

Re: V1.7/1.8 SP Scenario Review: LoW 11 - The Battle of the

Post by Yrth »

Hard, 1.8.5

3, very easy to win, a bit harder to loose some valuable unit to the drakes

Clear

Not very clear, I was wondering what the mages were talking about

Just finding out where to go

The mage may call some unit for a last stand when you are closing in.

Lost an l3 unit to the drakes.