V1.7/1.8 - 14 - Human Alliance

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Connectum

Re: V1.7/1.8 - Scenario Review: LoW 14 - Human Alliance

Post by Connectum »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard (v. 1.8.5)
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Not so clear, as mentioned by previous posters
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, could have been more dialog between humans and elves.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Dying. Repeatedly. And keeping my level 2/3s alive...lost quite a few of them.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4, due to frustration
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Have humans play better, or have fewer orcs.....I played it at least 15 times before I won. And it doesn't seem like you can win with any amount of gold....which makes the following campaigns very difficult. I'm stuck on costly revenge with 100 gold to start and few level 3 units....leading me to conclude that I'll have to go back 4 or 5 scenarios, and replay them very carefully. No way to take out 20-30 lvl 3 Saurians with 10 units, mostly level 2.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
The ridiculous amount of orcs that appear every 4 turns....
0mark

Post by 0mark »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.8.5

Either 1 or more than 10:
I did not win the scenario whatever i tried, until i decided to just recruit some dwarvish guardsman and hold the allys castle. That was easy, i ended up with more than 200 Gold left. But it was booooooring. Only trying to keep my reinforcement Units alive provided some relief.
I even replayed the preceeding levels over and over to gain more Money, but even with more than 500 Gold i did not see any chance too finish this campaign in a rightful way.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Holding the front was not that hard. But soon the human player was dead. So, clear it was, but definitly not helpful.

Too many enemys, too stupid ally.

No fun at all. I hate it. Sorry.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It might be fun if holding the line would actually work. Make the ally just hold his keep or whatever. Im too frustrated now to provide any helpful ideas ;)

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Lots and lots and lots and many lost of badevil enemys? And my death seeking ally.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

1.8.5. Easiest Level

10. OK. I survived, but it was a real meat grinder of a mission.

Survive 18 turns. Don't let your ally die.

It's implied that you should kill the North Western orc force. Good luck with that!

Lots of enemies. The Trolls were a lot trickier than they should have been.

For the record this is what I did. Sent Landar, Cleodil and a Hero to the Eastern Forest land bridge and the other main NPCs and Loyals north, except Kalenz who summoned a bunch of L2 and L3 units, plus a scout and a bunch of Dwarves (as the Troll fortress is in mountains and hills). Round two saw a Druid, a shaman, an archer, an elven fighter join team troll. A small contingent of units was added to the North, a few more scouts were sent down to my human ally.

My ally summoned some troops and then they sat in the castle for three turns rather than taking up defensive position in the town. Because of this a lot of the Northern plains orcs swept North towards causing me to experience an orc sandwich. Eventually he woke up and started getting in there.

My Elven Hero was getting completely overwhelmed. Realising that the loss of Landar or Cleodil would constitute game over I got them out of there - just. My Elven Hero put up a valiant fight, levelling up and holding off the enemy far longer than I expected, Kalenz headed North and made the forest our killing ground. With two Druids, three villages and favourable terrain I pretty much held up their against the entire North Western front, plus a couple of rogue trolls. Orcish Assassins were my worst enemy with orcish crossbowmen being a close second.

Team Troll was progressing slowly and it felt like every time I took out a Troll their leader would summon another. Although I would eventually get the upper hand I lost some Dwarves, my Shaman and my Elven Captain. They eventually took out the Troll Leader on turn 15 and mopped up the remaining trolls on turn 16 - far too late for them to serve as reinforcements for the central battle, as I had originally hoped.

My Ally finally woke up and remember that he should be forming some kind of defensive position. His target choice was a little odd. He often took out grunts (which my scouts could easily handle with ranged weapons) when I would far rather than he killed off assassins. My Scouts performed their task admirably. One was on village poach duty - with the losses I suffered and no keep at hand I ended this scenario with about 150 Gold. The others spent their time serving as reserves for my Allies army - picking off the weak and using their bows against grunts and wolf riders. They died, but not without serving their purpose. The rest of the battle was in the hands of my AI ally, who survived for long enough, although in another dozen turns he would have probably have been overrun. Dealing the trolls and tying up the North West orcs gave him enough breathing space.

My loyal troops turned up on turn 9 with a bunch of (non-loyal) fighters and archers, or as I term them cannon-fodder. Annoyingly they were faced with a river to the North and orcs to the East and South. The cannon-fodder formed a screen whilst the loyalists headed across the river on an assassination mission. They managed to take out the leader of North-West Wave 2 and damage north West Wave 1, but there weren't enough of them, so in the end they fled back to my "camp" I lost two of my loyalists this way, but I did take a Leader with me.

8 - a lot of skin of the teeth moments. Despite my best efforts, I lost two of my Loyals. I'm not sure I'd want to sit through it again though, and heaven help those that attempt this scenario on Medium on Hard.

The strategy guide says that the Troll doesn't get any more troops. Yeah, right! I'd give the Troll Income: 0, so that he summons his initial army but doesn't get anything more troops besides that. This leaves him as a nuisance that you have to divert some troops to contain (which he should have been), rather than surprisingly tricky foe to overcome.

Wave 2 and Wave 3 ought to be led by Level 2 Leaders. This rewards you in the unlikely event that you do break through enemy lines. Also killing any leaders in this scenario ought to give some kind of bonus - it's an accomplishment in and of itself. Ideally a turn's grace where the orcs of that faction cannot move or attack would be in order, but cash from their war-kitty would be better than nothing.

The loyalists should receive a Druid and a Shaman in addition to the current retinue. They didn't have a healer and had no way of getting to a village, so they were always going to end up as mincemeat. They'll still be cannon-fodder, but they might survive a little longer with some healing and a means of curing Poison.

Starting with a couple of Loyal peasants in the town might encourage my ally to be a little less shy about deploying his troops. Having a small detachment (as few as 3) Loyal (to my ally) horsemen turn up in the East on turn 10 would give the impression that the human army is on it's way.

RNG fun. Abberant results get a reload.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

The Legend of Wesmere, scenario 14 - Human Alliance:

Fighter (Easy) Version 1.8.5 Stable, Linux

8, considering I'm on the easiest difficulty provided. This is however, the hardest mission I've encountered so far.

Clear enough. Don't let essentials die, hold off until the end of turns.

As others have stated, the ally asks of you to hold off the enemies to the north. However, if you go by those rules, your ally will get overun, causing you to lose the mission.

Trying to keep essentials alive while managing enemies from 3 directions.

Any scenario gets more fun as challenge arises, however, frustration takes away from that "fun" value. 4, if I were better at the game however, then around 10.

Without changing the mission much, I would say to take away 1-2 enemy orc teams. Not the trolls, as they are meant to "stretch" your forces out. Not the first north-western orc force, as then you would have time to divert a lot more forces to the south. Maybe taking out one leader to the south would be nice, so that your ally can survive for a longer time.

Making your human ally do less stupid things would also be nice.

Death of an essential character due to the major lack of reserves.

I think this mission is a bit hard on the player. There haven't been many "soft" missions before this, meaning lots of players don't have much gold to recruit a decent force. Good campaign though. Taught me how to level shamans efficiently. When I played HttT, I barely got any high level shaman characters.
rmj

Post by rmj »

1.9.3 Normal

2. 10 Far to difficult for this level of play.

3. Clear
4. I think you are making a mistake in displaying Landar's anger so frequently. He does not seem like someone whom Kalenz would want as a friend. Also, this diminishes the power of the potion; it seems that anything could drive Landar to maniacal behavior.

5. Too many enemy troops. It is too easy to have a unit trapped by two enemies. Also two enemy units if they get lucky can kill any unit.

6. No fun. The enemy constantly gets stronger while you get weaker. Add to this that it takes five or seven minutes while ally and enemies fight while you just sit there watching (or walking off to do something else). With 20 turns there is close to two hours of the computer doing the fighting.

7. The elven reinforcements arriving earlier would be somewhat helpful.
rmj
lord7master7mike

Post by lord7master7mike »

Easy, 1.8.5
Fairly
Kind of bland for this scenario
Still havnt won... the enemy reinforcments showing up makes killing the north west orc nearly impossible as it expands the map giving my enemies room to suddenly manuever around my front line, and there is now a new group of full health orcs to kill me next turn.
0, because I have yet to beat it. Edit: 3, would be rather fun if it weren't so frustrating
Make the reinforcments show up much farther away, unless orcs can invisibly sneak up and build a fort one hex away from veteran elvish armies...
Enemy reinforcments killing 4+ veteran units the turn after they arrive.
CeltiK

Post by CeltiK »

v1.9.5, Medium

Impossible for me without modifications, 7 with (see below)

Survive 20 turns, you can't be more clear.

It's ok, I like when Olurf says "Hey, do I look like an elf"!

Far too many ennemies. You are under constant pressure and you need to send a lot of troops to protect your ally. Impossible.

8 with modifications.

I deleted the third wave of reinforcement and now it's ok, with a lot of fun. I also reduced the gold of the second wave of orcs facing the ally and I increased the gold of the orcs and the troll facing the player to keep him under constant pressure. It's still difficult but I won without save-loading. I lost half of my level 3s but half of my level 2s were promoted so... Now the ally can resist the orcs, but it was close.

The third wave of orcs kills all the fun, it's too hard with it.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

I already posted in this thread a few months ago. I was playing on 1.8.5 Stable on Soldier (Easy). As a mainline campaign though, I think Fighter (Beginner) would be more suitable.

Played on version 1.9.6, also on Soldier (Easy)

On easy, I didn't find this scenario so difficult, like I found it last time. I think of it more like a 2-5 based on your ability to defeat the trolls quickly, save your loyals, and hog the castle hexes with dwarvish guardsmen, and that's pretty much what I did.

I'm going to make some assumptions though. I'm pretty sure that you have to survive for 20, and 22 turns on Lord (Medium), and High Lord (Hard), respectively. I found the scenario easy mostly because I only had to make contact at the castle for around two turns. I wouldn't really last that long like that, and the orcs would have probably reached the castle quicker as they would be able to overwhelm Aldar's main force earlier.

So while this wasn't so difficult to me, I just think that it gets so much harder as difficulty rises.

Clear enough, survive until the end of turns. Don't let essentials, which includes Aldar, die.

The dialogue was sort of misleading, and not that interesting. I found the dialogue sort of misleading like the majority of the people in this thread because Aldun suggests that you hold off the orcs in the north. Obviously, this isn't a good idea, as your ally will soon become overwhelmed, and the castle would get stormed by a neverending horde of L1-2 orcs. Another reason why this isn't such a good idea, is because of the amount of resources it would take to hold a position in the north.

It wasn't very interesting either. Way too simple, and pretty short as well.

Keeping essentials/loyals alive for the first few turns, holding the castle for two turns with a handful of dwarvish guardsmen wasn't that hard.

I don't think this scenario is very fun. I would give it a 3/10. It would have been fun, as this scenario requires you to think in a different way. However, it is not. One reason is because it's just frustrating to fight so many orcs.
A second is because the amount of orcs makes slower systems (My system runs on an Intel Celeron 2.66Ghz processor) dedicate a few seconds each turn to, "AI thinking time" It wasn't much at first, but near the end there was always a small gap in time, maybe half of a second to two seconds, before the AI would move a unit.
A third reason is because even if the player's system could handle it, the game would still run very slowly, as the enemy would be moving around eighty units or so every turn. A lot of the time spent playing this scenario is just watching the AI do things, and not you, the player.

1. Lower the amount of gold that the orcs have, especially the orcs on the black side. They recruited maybe three or four keeps of troops, and on Easy (18 turns), only two, maybe three of those units actually reached the keep. It's just unnecessary for them to have so much gold when a lot of those units won't be involved. Even if they were to get involved, that would just make the scenario much harder, which would make it more frustrating.

2. Improve the dialogue. Anything that will make the player understand that the humans need help, and that the troll leader should be killed rather than any other leader would help.

3. Add in some human reinforcements. At the end of this scenario, a few knights and horsemen ride into the battlefield and then all the orcs start running. As there is no combat to slow the game down, it should be okay to make the human reinforcements much larger, maybe there could be an army of elite loyalists, which would actually be something that the orcs might have to run away from.

Actual reinforcements which will help you fight would be good. Some cavaliers and such could ride in at times, increasing in number and frequency as turns pass, just to give more of a feeling that help is arriving.

4. Make the scenario less static. If your ally, Aldar actually created a line, and didn't attack at night, that would look pretty cool as you don't usually see that. Additionally, he could use some tactics. It's widely noticed that Aldar never recruits any horsemen line units, and uses cavaliers instead. Maybe Aldar could wait until day, where a handful of lancers appear a bit south of where the main battle is in the field. Aldar would have dialogue to signal the charge, and it would also make it a bit less of a slugfest.

I didn't lose the scenario this time. I did save scum a few turns though. The only save reload which may have actually hindered my success was when Olurf got smacked by the troll hero a two out of three times, and Olurf missed all of his attacks, despite being on favourable terrain (70% vs 60%).

Another thing to note, is that if you just want to get this scenario over with, you can edit some preferences. You can skip AI moves in General, and set Show Combat to no in Advanced. I did this, and the scenario still lasted quite a while. I usually play with combat acceleration to x4. Viewing this at normal speed would just be painful.
Last edited by Giraffemonster on June 17th, 2011, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baiy

Post by baiy »

Content Feedback wrote:The Legend of Wesmere, scenario 14 - Human Alliance:

easy 1.8.x
9.5 :) It is not an easy battle. You need to distribute your forces properly, fighting in the right place in the right time.
Basically there are three battle region in this scenario: the north east, north west and south west(in the jungle). I sent all my dwarf troop + two or three elf arches to the north east to fight against trolls. That's enough. I put one of the snipers in the forrest in the connection region(there are water in both sides). The sniper can stand on there for several turns,stopping the enemy force rush down from north. There would be a balance between the north west and south east battle. Either of them would be a bitter one. Draw back your forcees in the north west as soon as the orc's reinforce arrvided. Eliminate them in the jungle.
It is 0.5 to 10 because you have an alliance:) otherwise you need to face another battle that would be made this scenario quite impossible...
clear
clear. I apprecaite my reinforcement.
The reinforcement of orcs in the north. I have to re-distribute my forces.
7 It is an interesting battle.
no idea
The the orcs reinforment kill my high level units. I don't want them to do so...