V1.7/1.8 - 22 - Northern Battle

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kingslayer

Re: V1.7/1.8 - Scenario Review: LoW 22 - Northern Battle

Post by Kingslayer »

REALLY, FIX THE BUGS! I lost 2 Sylphs, 2 shydes. This way overpowered Landar, who blasted by army to bits while healing his own, and I was back to level 1 and 2s

I played on 1.8.3
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Kingslayer wrote:REALLY, FIX THE BUGS! I lost 2 Sylphs, 2 shydes. This way overpowered Landar, who blasted by army to bits while healing his own, and I was back to level 1 and 2s

I played on 1.8.3
Hello Kingslayer,
regarding the 1.8 version of Wesnoth, it will not be continued.
There will most likely no more 1.8.x versions going to be released.
The last version of the 1.8 series is 1.8.5.
Please verify bugs with the latest version available from the series you play with.
It saves a lot time in sorting out bugs that are already fixed.
I think I missed to fix the Sylph/Shyde bug for 1.8 but I will fix it for 1.9.

Please help yourself by killing Landar's Sylphs/Shydes and create new ones for your side by using the :debug feature of Wesnoth.
I could offer a fixed scenario file but the bug is in the scenario where the units get saved away, which would you force to play from Scenario 17 on.
UberNewb

Post by UberNewb »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium difficulty , version 1.8.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
11, See below.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear - kill the leaders or survive 36 turns

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was good, however it was inaccurate and there was a typo (thee instead of the). See below.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The leader in the Southeast is too strong to beat with only 316 gold. Blitzing the leader to kill him doesn't work because it takes more than Cleodil and Kalenz to beat him in one turn and after that his army of Elven Heros kill one of my main characters. If you try to make a stand at the river then the SE leader's army still defeats you in combination with elements of Landar's army from the SW, namely 3 Elven Sharpshooters and an Elven Champion. Retreat isn't an option either since the SE leader's army will chase your army anywhere and Uradredia only survives the assault from Landar until about turn 12.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
5 due to the difficulties.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Strengthen Uradredia's army to even the fight between him and Landar and then make Uradredia's AI smarter. He could have the advantage of fighting from the edge of the forest but chooses to send single units out into the plain where they get swarmed by Landar's troops.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Yes -
1 - Blitzing the SE leader ends up killing off Kalenz or Cleodil when his Elven Heros retaliate on the next turn.
2- Taking a stand at the edge of the river still isn't a good enough tactic to defeat both the SE army and Landar's Sharpshooters.
3- Running away from the fight only works until about turn 12 when Uradredia gets killed by Landar's troops. This makes the optional objective of surviving for 36 turns impossible. Even if you move your army to protect Uradredia, the SE leader's army will still overpower you.
4- There aren't any other methods to try.

Comments
In the interim storyline leading up to scenario 22 it says that Cleodil was able to bring many Healers and Sorceresses to the battle but once you start the scenario you can only recruit Elven Shamans, not any of their improvements. Also, Landar gets most of the Elven Druids I had and I could only recall one Elven Druid. So this makes the storyline inaccurate and it either needs to be removed or fixed to be true. Also, having more Elven Druids/Shydes/Sorceresses doesn't even the odds against the SE army. They are no match for Elven Heros. The typo was also in the pre-story where it said 'thee' instead of saying 'the' like it should have.

Edit -
I gave up trying to beat this scenario and cheated, creating new units with the debug feature. I don't like having to resort to such things but it was just impossible to beat.

Also, typing : doesn't do anything in my version of Wesnoth. I changed the key to backquote and then it worked.
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

fabi wrote:
Kingslayer wrote:REALLY, FIX THE BUGS! I lost 2 Sylphs, 2 shydes. This way overpowered Landar, who blasted by army to bits while healing his own, and I was back to level 1 and 2s

I played on 1.8.3
Hello Kingslayer,
regarding the 1.8 version of Wesnoth, it will not be continued.
There will most likely no more 1.8.x versions going to be released.
The last version of the 1.8 series is 1.8.5.
Please verify bugs with the latest version available from the series you play with.
It saves a lot time in sorting out bugs that are already fixed.
I think I missed to fix the Sylph/Shyde bug for 1.8 but I will fix it for 1.9.

Please help yourself by killing Landar's Sylphs/Shydes and create new ones for your side by using the :debug feature of Wesnoth.
I could offer a fixed scenario file but the bug is in the scenario where the units get saved away, which would you force to play from Scenario 17 on.
Ok, that's great. Thanks. I thought for a moment there that I would need to rebuild my whole army. Anyway, to review the campaign as a whole, great job, with the exception of the bug already mentioned. I guess the only thing I have to add is the possibility of more loyal units? The ones I found when I rescued that Shyde at the beginning were a lot of fun and it's a shame there can't be more as the player goes along. Other than that, great. Also, whoever drew the art for this is amazing.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.8.5, Easy.

4. Landar didn't have my recall list, so he was limitted

Not in the slightest. Live for 6 days, but the turn counter say 40 turns. Kill both leaders (only you can't kill Landar) You only needs to do one - either survive or kill the leaders, but the objectives imply both.

A better objectives might read "Move a unit next to Landar to capture him." You don't need to kill both leaders, and if you are going for Landar, there's a damn good chance you are going to take out the South Eastern leader anyway.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I quite liked the way that Kalenz still wanted to save Landar from the effects of the potion.

Landar just vanished at the end of the story. Someon mentioned he should take a draught of the potion and vanish. I agree with this suggestion, as it's far more dramatic.

Killing the South West leader. Don't get me wrong, I think it's quite nice for the opponent to misstep and to expect the player capitalise upon it

Thanks for giving my loyal troops to a suicidal ally! I really appreciate spending the whole damned campaign trying to keep them alive just to have my friend treat them as if they were utterly worthless. It's fine for my Outrider and my Avenger to start next to my ally, but please leave them under my control.

Strategy: Used Celodil plus 2 scouts on hills to pin down the SW Leader with ZoC and Slow. A third scout veered West. This kept the flak off as two units committed themselves to the West (away from Cleodil) whilst summoning 3 more scouts and 3 more useful units (Marksmen, Sylphs, Sorceresses) This meant that my scouts and Celodil didn't get totally wiped out in a hail of return fire, as the enemy had spread it's troops out. Cleodil slowed again and my surviving scouts took down the Elven Leader - levelling up into a Level 2 Rider in the process. My second wave of scouts made sure that the enemy was too disrupted to focus on wiping out Cleo. Meanwhile I summoned a well-rounded army. The remaining SE fighters were destroyed the next turn.

I started to maneuvre towards Landar, sighing as my "Loyal" Ranger stood out in the open (40% defence) next an enemy in a village and got himself turned into a pin-cushion. This would have never happened if I had been in charge. My Scout and my Rider took up positions on the flank away from the action, hoping to seize an opportunity to dive past the combat and capture Landar, but my ally got to him first.

6. I didn't appreciate losing control of my Loyals. The "trick the South East leader" puzzle was a very good one though, so keep it in. 10/10 for that bit.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

From what I've read on this forum, the SE leader gets higher level units on the trickier difficulty level. It might be wise to keep the SE leader at Level 1 troops regardless of the difficulty. This at least means that player stand a decent stab at the puzzle. There's no way my ploy would have worked if I was up against a Level 2 army, and I think it would be detrimental to the game if it were changed. Hard and Medium players are going to be up against it for the rest of the level, so give them a break here.

I didn't suffer any bugs with vanishing Faerie Folk, but then I didn't see any of my forces fighting for Landar either.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Took me about four goes to work out how to take out the SE leader. My ally did most of the rest of the work, although I was tempted to reload when my Loyal Ranger died.
rmj

Post by rmj »

1.9.3 Normal

Does not work. Turn 1 was ok except for the message "debut_message not supported". Turn 2, nothing would move.
rmj
AlexanderK

Post by AlexanderK »

<Invalid WML found> [store_unit], [if], [clear_variable] not supported at scenario toplevel
BUG! I can't recruit shamans, all go to enemy Landar

normal

impossible. All woses from scenario where I killed lizards and their eggs join him. It is almost impossible to kill them with level 1 fighters. I can kill enemy at the bottom of the map without any problems, but white ally is not recruiting any reinforcement and this silly elves queen dies, she even not tries to run away. It seems there is no difference between aggressive and defending behavior for AI player, the script doesn't work properly.

Clear.

Always pressed "Skip" button, because I already played this campaign long time ago and liked it very much.

To Save&Load the game very often :) Just kidding.

I like it.

fix all bugs will be enough.

he-he. yes when I lose too much units.
Attachments
LoW-Northern_Battle.gz
(32.99 KiB) Downloaded 691 times
brabar

Post by brabar »

V 1.8.5 ==> Medium

8/10 ... Not an easy one !

Waiting six days seems really optimistic ... so ... I was left with the challenge of killing ennemy leaders ... :roll:

It's clear, as Landar has no magic lover to help him with the potion, he freaks out ... :whistle:

Erffff ... First, I hated seeing my beloved loyal friends killed such a silly way ... Having taken care of them such a long time for a sad and useless ending ...

Then, Landar's forces are overwhelming the map only facing poor suicidal low level "gentles" ... As I read previously here, it's impossible to get rid of the S-E bad boss in one or two turns, and it's also impossible to block his heroes on the riverside ...

So I fled away from the battle Northwards, looking my allies getting killed. When the S-E boss stopped recruiting more troops, I sent back my party southwards, killing every enemy turn after turn.

At first try, I saw my ally boss killed around turn 17 ... So I "rewinded" the scenario to be able to send him a nymph and a scout to help him surviving a little longer.

It gave me the opportunity to kill the S-E leader, and then approach Landar's keep enough to stop that depressing scenario :lol2:

Not that much, (3/10) ... Mainly because you can't realy play a smart game, I felt like sadly observing a shame of a waste among my best loved troops ...

Not letting my ally use my loyal troops, and giving him a chance to recruit lvl2 troops, like the baddies do.

Yes, see above ! ^_^
Sorry for my poor english, it's not my native language
glandis

Post by glandis »

OK, I know this level basically worked for me in 1.8.something, but in 1.9.14, Cleodil does not appear, and I have no recall list. VERY disapointing - after all these scenarios, I have to quit playing this campaign.