04 - The Elvish Treasury

Feedback for the mainline single-player campaign Legend of Wesmere.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DanChem

Re: V1.9/1.10 - 04 - The Elvish Treasury

Post by DanChem »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy (1.10), 1331 starting Gold, some useful captains in recall list.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, medium interested.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None. Recruited a lot and advanced a lot of units.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None, it is ok.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I didn't have a look and am not very familiar with.

Note: I edited my post, since I first mixed it up with The Saurian Treasury.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Not really relevant to this particular scenario but the whole campaign for dummies like me: Give hint that you can recruit healers at Shyde. After rescued her wanted to get healers, tried over Kalenz and archer friend's recruit list see none in list, thought must be bugged, never tried Shyde itself albeit i attempted to recall vets over her seeing it not functioning, and i couldnt think about recruit over her till in a later scenario i needed additional couple of fighters as one hero died, tried over her list and saw i actually can recruit healers, theyve been there ingame all the way along.
Yes, i played the whole campaign up to Human Alliance with only 1(one(!) healer and thats that shyde. APPLAUSE! ^_^
Ninjamestari

Post by Ninjamestari »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.10.7 Hard
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was ok.
The skirmishers at night. I lost quite a few units, probably some experienced units too. Couldn't bother to count my losses.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
All my units died the first try because I didn't rush the west keep and defended in my forest instead.
Attachments
LoW-The_Elvish_Treasury_replay.gz
(38.06 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, and gold? Hard, 1.11.15, 262 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 7 or 8.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? It's the usual challenge versus Saurians of trying to keep your line intact so as not to get skirmished to death. It's made harder due to the rarity of villages and lack of healers (before Cleodil is released.) "Legend of Wesmere" should be renamed "The Campaign of Rest Healing." ;)
(6) Fun? (1-10) 9. The tension is high due to the threat of Saurian Skirmishers/Ambushers.
(7) Changes? OMG, three units pop out of the jail?! I start the next scenario with an annoying number of loyals. Personally, I would get rid of a couple of loyals.
(8) Restarts? I lost once. Then I tried the walkthrough strategy (i.e., send Rangers/Avengers to assassinate the eastern leader), and it worked, but it was a real nailbiter and I lost a loyal. I had a brainstorm for an alternate strategy: switch everything east and west. I would send my Ranger and Avenger to release Cleodil and friends, and then those 5 units could assassinate the western leader. Since Avenger Landar was to go west, I had him trade his eastern keep for Kalenz' western keep. Meanwhile, the rest of my forces went to entrench themselves in the bottom right corner, an excellent defensive position, except for its lack of villages:
LoW - The Elvish Treasury - the corner defense.jpg
There are four layers of my corner defense:
1. The front line
2. Mostly empty line, so leaders can move freely without disturbing rest-healing of wounded.
3. The rest-healing line.
4. Intensive care corner: critically wounded units hiding from Skirmishers.

If I had more units, I could use them to complete the rest-healing line, protecting the critically wounded behind two lines.

Just as the corner force was getting close to collapse, Cleodil was freed and most of the Saurians went running off after that group, relieving the pressure on the corner units. In forests, Cleodil and friends were able to outrun the Saurians for a few turns, by which time new Rangers from the corner group were in position to kill the eastern leader. I finished on turn 14/25. I had -5 gold after the early finish bonus, bummer. Quite a lot of Saurians were left at the end, so it was some wasted XP, but at least I didn't lose any loyals or L2's. No save-reloads.
Attachments
(60.72 KiB) Downloaded 745 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Original post (version 1.10)
Spoiler:
(1) Level and version? Hard, 1.12.4, 598 start gold
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 5 - Not hard if you know what to do.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Skirmishers at night, but in general this is a pretty easy scenario.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 8
(7) Changes? I seem to have way more starting gold this time, maybe due to the changes in the last scenario. Perhaps the previous scenario's villages/carryover should be modified to give less gold here.
(8) Restarts? None.

Strategy: I sent 4 rangers to assassinate the eastern leader (I love doing this) and recruited mass fighters since saurians are weak to blade. Basically just plowed straight through the enemies. (The reason I recruit 4 shamans on the last turn is so I can recall the ones with the better traits later.)
Finished turn 9/25

I just read my previous strategy and I didn't even think of using the scout like that - I figured freeing Cleodil would end its move. Wonder if it still works - what a cheap thing to do :)
Attachments
Wesnoth 1.12.4 / hard
(62.04 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
codyfun123

Post by codyfun123 »

No review, but I found what is a likely mistake: Saurian units can trigger the free cleodil event. I've attached a replay that ends after this occurs if you need verification (Saurian turn 4).
Attachments
free cleodil bug replay
(40.49 KiB) Downloaded 693 times
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

(1) Level and version?
1.12.5. medium.

(2) Difficult? (1-10)
6. Saurians are always a pain to deal with.

(3) Objectives?
Clear.

(4) Dialog?
Fine.

(5) Challenges?
Protecting wounded units from skirmirshers.

(6) Fun? (1-10)
7. Requires more fiddling with unit arrangement but that's what makes it interesting.

(7) Changes?
Let the player know that Cleodil can recruit and that she has access to shamans and woses. She does have the crown and there is a keep nearby but honestly, I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Didn't really notice her crown either. It's relevant not just to this scenario but to the whole campaign so it should be noted. This has been mentioned even in posts from 2013 and it hasn't yet been addressed so...

(8) Restarts?
After finishing the scenario, I started writing feedback and noticed posts mentioning that Cleodil can recruit so I went to play it again with that knowledge.

Both replays are provided. In the first one I went towards the western leader and held the forest on my side of the map where I had an all-out brawl with saurians. Lost a few units, leveled a few and when the west leader was low on units I freed Cleodil and attacked him from behind (but as noted, I didn't know about woses and shamans). East is completely ignored until west is dealt with.

On the 2nd replay I immediately sent a scout to free Cleodil and recruited some woses. Otherwise the strategy was the same. Enemy was more dispersed as he had to fight on 2 fronts. I lost fewer units (used as baits to protect level 2 units, whereas the losses on 1st replay were mostly accidental) but also leveled fewer units. I also had less gold at the end. Even so, I'll be continuing from the 2nd one as I managed to get a druid and some xp on woses which will be more useful on the next scenario.

Details (2nd replay):
-1184 start gold
-recalling high xp units and recruiting a few (10 units brought out in total); scout goes north, frees Cleodil on the 2nd turn; defensive line on the north prevents the scout from dying (he's loyal so I want to keep him); Cleodil brings out some woses and a shaman
-3rd turn: west leader goes north with half his army; other half goes south and attacks Kalenz
-a fighter is sacrificed on the west to lessen the pressure on Kalenz; on northern front woses try to clobber saurians and western leader is slowed so he doesn't return to his keep; a small squad is in the center of the map to take on some of the eastern army (most of them are going north)

-5th turn: victory on the western front, with 2 fighters becoming heroes and an archer becoming marksman; on the north, sorceress kills the western leader and woses are left on the plain to be targets for the eastern army; central forces retreat to the west, with a fighter being left behind on the plains as sacrifice
-my loyal scout is attacked by an ambusher (oversight on my part) but survives with good hp; lost a wose that had good xp and one archer, but also managed to feed an ambusher to a shaman; 3 heroes are sent back south to deal with a few saurians that were sent for villages

-7th turn: Landar becomes a sharpshooter; situation on the north resolved; units form a vertical wall to keep one ambusher from reaching a low hp captain
-8th turn: the aforementioned captain becomes a marshal and shaman becomes a druid: most of my army is now free to move east; scouts will move NE for villages; heroes on the south need to finish their enemies
-on the 10th turn my sorceress kills the eastern leader

end stats: 10/30 turns, 11/12 villages, 826 gold, 9 recruits, 7 recalls, 6 advancements, 4 losses, 31 kills, 0% received and inflicted damage
That being said, 1st replay might be slightly more interesting due to more dynamic gameplay
Attachments
LoW-The_Elvish_Treasury_replay2.gz
2nd, described in feedback
(45.57 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
1st, no shamans and woses
(46.75 KiB) Downloaded 644 times
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Eagle_11 wrote:Yes, i played the whole campaign up to Human Alliance with only 1(one(!) healer and thats that shyde. APPLAUSE! ^_^
Really tough.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium, Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 Hard.
Clear
Clear, but player should be informed that now is possible to recruit shamans and Woses.
Of course, the ability of the saurians to avoid zones of control, to skirmish. Means that any wounded unit will be attacked, and will be likely finished off. Only ways to avoid it are to put the injured at enough distance to be safe, or to completely shield it with another units from every side. On a different topic, I made Anduilas into a captain and somehow I expected him to have leadership as Kalenz has. Throughout the last scenarios there were some occasions in which Anduilas' proximity didn't deliver more strength to the surrounding units, but it wasn't until this scenario I realized what was happening.
6. Skirmish tunes down the fun for me. It makes me play constantly fearing for my wounded units.
Can't think of any.
No
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
-
troomar

Post by troomar »

(1) Level and version? High Lord (Challenging), no reloads. Version 1.13.6.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 5.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? I don't mind the dialogues.
(5) Challenges? Saurians. It's hard to protect your units against skirmishers.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 3. An average map with Saurians as a nuisance.
(7) Changes? -
(8) Restarts? Once. I realized I cannot hold both bridges and kill both leaders at the same time.
Hestelvar

Re: 04 - The Elvish Treasury

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Solider (Easy)
Starting Gold 1202 (Not a typo!)
3. With this much starting gold victory is never in doubt.
The objective are clear. However the most efficient means of achieving them is unnecessarily obscure.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
What little there is keeps the story moving.
The dialogue triggered by Shurm’s death seems inappropriate if a Wose lands the killing blow.
None. Though I can see how the Saurians' mobility could trouble newcomers.
5. About average, but much less fun than the earlier scenarios.
(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Either explain that Cleodil will be able to recruit Shamans & Woses or move the prison towards the map’s northern edge to prevent/discourage Cleodil’s early release.
None.
N/a
Remarks:
If the player knows that Cleodil can recruit then early release - at least for me, on easy - is the preferred strategy.
I expected a huge battle: my starting gold vs the plundered eleven treasury and was left slightly disappointed.
Attachments
LoW-The Elvish Treasury Cleodil Recruits replay.bz2
(25.36 KiB) Downloaded 588 times
LoW-The Elvish Treasury replay.bz2
(27.04 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.3, High Lord (Challenging)

Clear.

Clear.

Keeping Kalenz, Landar, and their forces alive, while the Woses mop up the Saurians.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
LoW-The Elvish Treasury replay.gz
(38.85 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:39 am Post us a review of The Legend of Wesmere's Elvish Treasury scenario by answering the following questions:

Wesnoth 1.14.11, High Lord (Challenging), no reloading during campaign, played the scenario several times
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:39 am (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Not sure, maybe 5 in comparison with the rest of the campaign.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:39 am (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Knowing the cage mechanics is a big advantage. That should be made properly clear without having to play it first.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:39 am (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Why do Shamans guard ('garrison') the gold? Where was the gold? Why is there a temple? Or was the gold in a temple? Do elves pray to gold then?
--
And Cleodils "hero worship" of Kalenz I also find questionable and unexplained. And she says 'men' but doesnt actually have any 'men'.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:39 am (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:39 am (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
3. Playing vs Saurians isnt very fun. Its too much about distance-positioning.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:39 am (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Not sure.
Content Feedback wrote: September 11th, 2010, 6:39 am (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
LoW-The Elvish Treasury replay.gz
(54.11 KiB) Downloaded 227 times