Scenario 2: This Valley Belongs to Me

Feedback for the mainline campaign Delfador’s Memoirs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ElvishMystical0

Re: Scenario 2: This Valley Belongs to Me

Post by ElvishMystical0 »

1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Versions 1.10, 1.12, and 1.14 easy, medium and difficult.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Also clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Figuring out a strategy and what to recruit. Against an Orcish opponent made up of mainly wolf riders and grunts it's pretty much even when you have a Loyalist army of spearmen, mages and horsemen. But this campaign is fragmented between different armies and the ultimate opponent is undead, so mages and horsemen are priority.

There's a nice river running down the middle of the map, but the enemy keep is only three spaces and you don't have much gold. So I sent the solitary Horseman east and everything else went west with Delfador and Methor to take the fight south of the Orcish keep.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

5. I think for such a small opening scenario it's quite challenging and fun. The downside is the shortage of enemies to level up units, but this I guess would complicate the scenario.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Not that I can think of.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

A few. It took me a while to figure out that as a Mage of Light Methor is a back up hero unit and Orcs are sensitive to impact. I learned the hard way that when you have wolf riders you can't get away with having Mages on flat terrain at night.
Graakhatmeksha

Scenario 2: This Valley Belongs to Me won in 10

Post by Graakhatmeksha »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? medium, 1.14.8
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 3
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? both clear and interesting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? deciding to be aggressive from the start
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? none
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? no

I won this scenario in 10 turns by immediately sending the white mage to the village halfway between the two camps. I parked two spearman and two horseman adjacent and let the orcs attack, then I counterattacked as I brought up three more mages and Delfador. Sacrificed one mage and finished w Delfador just one point shy of level.
Attachments
DM-This Valley Belongs to Me replay.gz
(13.31 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Difficult
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 2
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Obvious
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Clear, averagely interesting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Avoiding fight during the first night, attacking at day made it trivial
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 4. There is not too much going on. You just kill a bunch of orcs.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? I would let the orcish units burn the villages and make an objective to defend as many villages as possible. (Or make a player lose after too many villages are burnt). Maybe add peasants appearing at the villages who would be grateful for defending them. Also, villages at the northeast are a bit of of the game.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No
Attachments
WD-Ta dolina jest moja powtórka.gz
(14.85 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.14.11, hardest: 'Great Mage' (difficult), no reloading during campaign; played the scenario many times
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5 (in comparison with the rest of the campaign)
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok. But somehow it fails to explain (or I missed it?) why the "newbie mage" Delfador gets to command lots of troops. Far as I understand Wesnoth fluff mages command at most other mages not horsemen etc. Yet this "newbie mage" gets to command not only other newbie mages but all kind of other troops too?
And when the wolf rider says "pillage" they are just capturing the village same as when Delfadors side captures a village. But Delfador doesnt get to boast about pillaging?
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None. But (in the replay) I took some unnecessary risk at some point with the leader.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
5, the early phase is ok, the mop-up and xp-grinding later are not
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it so that finishing early is actually beneficial.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm (8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm (9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
(Didnt look at the WML.)
Attachments
DM-This Valley Belongs to Me replay.gz
(19.14 KiB) Downloaded 258 times