What SP campaign would you like to be added on add-on SVR?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What campaign would you like to play on UMC?

Humans
10%
Elves
3%
Dwarves
5%
Orcs / Goblins
7%
Undead
12%
Mermen
No votes
Saurians
14%
Drakes
16%
Trolls
7%
Nagas
10%
Monsters
12%
something the others
2%
No need anymore
2%

Total votes: 58

SkyOne

What SP campaign would you like to be added on add-on SVR?

Post by SkyOne »

Hi,
We have plenty of humanoid unit campaigns, but not many of the others. Dead Water is now on a mainline, but I have not seen a lot of Merman campaigns on Add-ons server. I would like to hear player's opinions that what campaign you would like to play on BfW 1.10.x (and after) more. Another word, what campaign should be added more on 1.10 Add-ons server ?

Well, of course, it depends on the quality and how fun it is. I am asking in general. Would you like to play more orcish campaign or maybe, more undead one? Saurian? Or most of people just like human based campaign? I will appreciate if somebody responses. I hope that creators, including I am, are able to get informations from this thread to create campaigns that are in demand.

Note: this is not to ask your favorite race of campaigns. The purpose is to fill player's requests on the server.

Best Regards
Last edited by SkyOne on August 31st, 2012, 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
lipk

Re: What campaign do you expect on current UMC ?

Post by lipk »

I don't know, the faction played is usually quite a minor detail for me... I'd never trade a good story with an old cliche faction for a bad story with an exotic one. But if have to really have to name one, I'd go for the Khalifate.

EDIT: (so I clicked humans)
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

Honestly, out of the choices provided, the one I like to play most would be trolls. 8)
But the one with the best story opportunities is probably Undead. So probably one of those two.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Well, most of the races are humanoid, and they are all cliche'd, so I'd have a hard time analyzing this poll if I were looking to accommodate the customers.

It's hard to empathize with something like Giant Spider and envision a full-length TBS campaign based on that, but for any budding Jack London's out there, I'm all in favor of a convincing Monsters campaign. I think there is a cuttle-fish campaign, Inky's Quest(?), that was well received, though I haven't played it. Yet.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

doofus-01 wrote:Well, most of the races are humanoid
Aah, that is right. I slightly misunderstood the word of "humanoid". The most of units talk like humans, especially in SP campaigns. So even the mermen (no-legs), they are probably called humanoid units here.

Excuse me, everyone. Please not to pay attention much about the word.:wink:
doofus-01 wrote:I'm all in favor of a convincing Monsters campaign. I think there is a cuttle-fish campaign, Inky's Quest(?), that was well received
Yes, I have a similar feeling to you, myself.
Maybe, we should work something together...
Oh, wait! If I work with you, my roll of the project will probably be just a tester... So maybe, not.:)

By the way, thanks for voting, everyone.
And thanks for the comments, lipk, alexanderthegre, and doofus-01.
Hopefully, it keeps going.:)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
taptap

Post by taptap »

Khalifate is the one which I miss most. (I scribbled some scenario ideas somewhere actually, but I don't really have the time to learn WML during this year.) I would be happy about a campaign featuring the awesome Aragwaithi too. Saurians are simply cute, but the one saurian campaign in existence is pretty good already (apart from the name the roar of the woses but in fact you play lizards) as far as I can tell (failed to clear the second cave scenario in half a dozen attempts when I tried last).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Undead! I hope one day someone releases something at least half as good as Decent into Darkness. I love campaigns in which you are not a cliched noble knight fighting for poor and helpless against crime and violence. I find it much more interesting when the main character can be considered evil by others, but he/she fights for a noble cause. 8)
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

doofus-01 wrote:It's hard to empathize with something like Giant Spider and envision a full-length TBS campaign based on that
Since you mentioned the Giant Spider campaign and the number of voting Monsters impressed me so far, I have been thinking its story. (I like to think stories even I don't make their campaigns.) Like you said, making a Giant Spider campaign is very difficult because it lives alone AFAIK. Rats or Ants (in UtBS) are even easier because their life is with companies. I mean that they could be the armies.

Maybe, we can use Spider's loneliness as kind of the theme of the story. He encounters friends on scenarios to scenarios, then he has many friends to battle at the ending. Then the spider is no-longer lonely or something at the epilogue. But the problem is that who will be his friends. Mud-crawlers and Scorpions may be okay, but I cannot imagine who else (Ogres, maybe). Solving the issue will probably be the key to create its campaign, I think.

EDIT: Or (if the story is too weak) it may be okay that the spider links to some undead. I had a creepy experience of spiders in my real life when my real father died. It was like spiders told me something wrong around me...
taptap wrote:I scribbled some scenario ideas somewhere actually
Sounds good.
Spoiler:
I know that you have a potential to create good campaigns.:)
Dunno wrote: I love campaigns in which you are not a cliched noble knight fighting for poor and helpless against crime and violence. I find it much more interesting when the main character can be considered evil by others, but he/she fights for a noble cause.
Yes, that will be really cool. Undead campaigns actually have potentials to be cool, like alexanderthegre mentioned. The title may be "The Dark Knight", like Batman. 8)

One of my story ideas of an undead campaign is that: - an undead lord is sent from the pit to make Wesnoth turn the dark time. Then he encounters a pure and weak child girl (not a lady) in the middle of the campaign. His mind is getting changing by the girl because she is too different from him mentally and physically (not in love). At the end, his companies appear from the pit to help him. The lord watched the crown that she made for him by flowers or something. He put it on his head, then betrays them to save the girl. Then...:wink: (of course, anyone can use this idea.)

The title may be: "The Lord and a Girl" or "Invasion of Shadowmaster".:D
Oh, it is possible to be a pre-story of yours.

Thanks.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

I see I'm not the only one who would like to see a naga campaign. :)
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

shadowblack wrote:I see I'm not the only one who would like to see a naga campaign. :)
Add me to that group. It'd be nice to see them as protagonists rather than allies or enemies (which seem to be their primary roles wherever they put in an appearance).
SkyOne wrote:..." Invasion of Shadowmaster".
:whistle:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

artisticdude wrote:
SkyOne wrote:..." Invasion of Shadowmaster".
:whistle:
Now THAT is a catchy title! :D
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
This poll is really a fine idea !
I voted, of course, but I regret not being able to specify a couple or a group of factions. IMO, strange associations (like the Giant Spider + Undead Troll + an elf girl) can be very good campaign ideas. At first glance, it can look like a fairy tale, but, with some really ugly adventures...
taptap

Post by taptap »

I believe the lack of unit variety or the necessity to make a huge amount of custom units might be seriously detrimental to a "monster" campaign.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

Dunno wrote:Undead! I hope one day someone releases something at least half as good as Decent into Darkness. I love campaigns in which you are not a cliched noble knight fighting for poor and helpless against crime and violence. I find it much more interesting when the main character can be considered evil by others, but he/she fights for a noble cause. 8)
Me too. It's a nice poll, I voted :)
Mint

Post by Mint »

Is the poll meant to be What campaign do you expect on current UMC ? or What campaign would you like on current UMC ?
Last edited by Mint on March 16th, 2012, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.