[Poll] Should the default animation speed be increased?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What do you think should be the default speed?

1.0x (No Change)
50%
1.5x
17%
1.75x
17%
2.0x
13%
2.5x
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 30

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: [Poll] Should the default animation speed be increased?

Post by Iris »

zookeeper wrote:Since no one is going to re-time all animations (although that would be great!), [...]
I’m not sure myself, but isn’t this a rehash of bug #18950 [Gna.org]?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote:It'd odd how all the posts are in favour of upping the base speed, when the option with most votes is to keep the speed the same. :eng:
beetlenaut already said everything that needs to be said. In my opinion people mistake their own settings for a good default speed for the first time player.

If there were a functional era for a simple boardgamey look (look at flat tactics or cartographic terrain threads) some people would play with it as well - would that make it a good default setting? No.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

shadowm wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Since no one is going to re-time all animations (although that would be great!), [...]
I’m not sure myself, but isn’t this a rehash of bug #18950 [Gna.org]?
Sure seems like it.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

zookeeper wrote:
shadowm wrote: I’m not sure myself, but isn’t this a rehash of bug #18950 [Gna.org]?
Sure seems like it.
If the speed is affected by a bug, the default should stay the same, at least until the bug is fixed.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Kente

Post by Kente »

taptap wrote:
Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote:It'd odd how all the posts are in favour of upping the base speed, when the option with most votes is to keep the speed the same. :eng:
beetlenaut already said everything that needs to be said. In my opinion people mistake their own settings for a good default speed for the first time player.
while this is true, it's also true many players don't know they can change the game speed (i.e my girlfriend has played this game more than 1 year before she discovered she can change the game speed and in my experience in multiplayer some new player doesn't know it too).
Maybe it should be a a message before some scenario with many Ai controlled-units (i.e. at the beginning of The battle for Wesnoth in HttT or at beginning of Human alliance in LoW) or campaign (i.e. Northern Rebirth) which should said you can change the game speed in the preferences
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Alright, so so far the general consensus seems split between not changing it at all, and changing it just a little, between a .25 and .75 gain.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Qirin

Post by Qirin »

Kente wrote:
taptap wrote:beetlenaut already said everything that needs to be said. In my opinion people mistake their own settings for a good default speed for the first time player.
while this is true, it's also true many players don't know they can change the game speed
I think it's everyone's duty to themselves to fully explore the game options so they get the experience tailored to them. I don't think ignorance is really an excuse.

Personally I play on 2x speed since anything lower drags out the game length in multiplayer, but the default speed is fine to prevent erratic camera jumping and overwhelming newbies (who don't know all the units' capabilities) with information.
Kente

Post by Kente »

Qirin wrote:
Kente wrote: while this is true, it's also true many players don't know they can change the game speed
I think it's everyone's duty to themselves to fully explore the game options so they get the experience tailored to them. I don't think ignorance is really an excuse.

Personally I play on 2x speed since anything lower drags out the game length in multiplayer, but the default speed is fine to prevent erratic camera jumping and overwhelming newbies (who don't know all the units' capabilities) with information.
sorry, i was unclear, my point was about tell to the new players in mainline campaign (maybe in easy or normal mode only) about the possibility to change the game speed. It wasn't a reason to support increasing game speed by default.
In this way after play a while with default game speed, the new players can set the speed that they want.

Anyway, there are players who never check in any game the options/preferences menu and in many games there isn't the possibility to change the game speed.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I voted for keeping the default speed at 1.0, although I guess it would be nice to save a personal setting.

I also agree that the speed setting is easy to find; I'm not sure if we should change something assuming something for ppl who don't look at the preferences.
I have a cunning plan.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Kente wrote:Anyway, there are players who never check in any game the options/preferences menu and in many games there isn't the possibility to change the game speed.
There are also player who skip tutorials and jump straight in normal mode. Should we also include a tutorial part in the first campaign's normal-difficulty and dumb it down enough that it is manageable?... (Sorry if it sounds bitchy, not my intent ;) )
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

I think it's fine as-is. The default has never bothered me.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I think it's quite clear the default speed has won the vote. How much longer will it be left up for?
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I'm waiting for our art director to weigh in.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I spent a long time picking the current animation speeds, as I produced the animations; I had a lot of time to think about it. What I picked was exactly what I intended. In the presence of an easily accessible option to allow anyone to configure it to their heart's content, that's what the default is for: to represent how the author intended to have it seen.

Because we have an option, our current setup is a case where everyone can win. Some of us play videogames for the art, and turn on whatever eye-candy we can (such as never using something like Civ V's 'strategic view' because in our minds, it kinda defeats the whole point of buying the game) - in fact, the funny way that games with extraordinary graphics but rehashed gameplay tend to overwhelmingly dominate sales suggests those people are a majority if not a plurality of gamers - indisputably: an enormous group of people.

Not only does the default setting in wesnoth respect the intentions of the creator, but it well serves what's likely the biggest segment of gamers. I think if a minority doesn't like it, they should not impose their views on the rest of us, especially when we've been accommodating enough to allow an option (I specifically voiced in favor of the option) in a game that has "options are bad" as a formal design policy.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I see no reason of this topic because as it was said higher you can set your animation speed by your self. I can see reason why topic like this was created, but the main problem is quite diffrent. Here is not a question about animation default speed but is the animation speed could be another condition to join to someone game on multiplayer server. All old players should remember that there are still new one (thats why is important to do not only base image of unit but also animation), who may not know yet how to change own game speed and also they may not know that some players prefer to play with others who have turned off animation and game speed increased to x16. Thats why here could be added option (when you choose what map host, with what era and etc.) with what minimal animation speed/game speed (however you calls that) players can join to your game. If you set atleast x4, someone with lower should see it same as like he didnt have era which is used there (gray color and cant join).
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.