[Poll] Should the default animation speed be increased?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What do you think should be the default speed?

1.0x (No Change)
50%
1.5x
17%
1.75x
17%
2.0x
13%
2.5x
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 30

vultraz
Developer

[Poll] Should the default animation speed be increased?

Post by vultraz »

As you probably all know, the Accelerated Speed option in preferences allows animations to play faster (units run faster, attack faster, etc). At the default 1.0x speed (Accelerated Speed disabled), everything plays pretty slow, in my opinion. Especially on large scenarios, this can get sluggish. I personally play with 1.75x or 2.0x speed enabled.

Do you play with Accelerated Speed enabled as the default is too slow? If so, what do you think the default speed, with it disabled, should be, relative to what it is currently?
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: [Poll] Should the default animation speed be increased?

Post by beetlenaut »

The default settings need to make sense for new players. We should start players with a the 1.0x speed because it shows off the animations, most of which look great these days. That will eventually feel sluggish as you say, at which point it's very easy to change. It's one of the easiest settings to find too--all you have to do is open the preferences screen. I usually play at 2.0x or 3.0x, but we shouldn't start there.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Obviously > 2x is too fast, I agree. However, 1.75x, which is what I use, shows off the animations fine without making it feel like everyone is wading through mud, which is why I suggest this. The current 1.0x is honestly just TOO slow, even for new players.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

1.0 should be the default, the problem is that the animations (most new-style ones that is) are simply too slow. Since no one is going to re-time all animations (although that would be great!), I'd suggest upping the default. I use 1.75x myself usually, but 1.5x might be a more fitting default.
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I think that the default speed is fine, although maybe there could be a 1.25x option to make it only a slight bit faster.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I've played with accelerated speed for years. For some time i even played with 4x speed (especially when playing northern rebirth. But i've recently started playing on the Android port, and my usual acceleration of 2x proved to be too fast. I'm now playing with 1.5x accelerated speed, and all the beautiful animations are still distiguishable.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I've voted for 2x, because the default speed is to slow for me.
Since I play BfW I use this setting in the preferences.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

Well, I also think that the game speed should be increased, especially when you're playing a mission with a lot of units. (e. g. last mission of HttT) It makes the game a bit boring, when you need to wait a few minutes for your turn.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I agree to keep it slow for beginners and let them increase it later.

A while back I posted a bug/feature request that dealt with the accelerated speed hotkey- when you set the default speed above 1.0, the accelerated key functionality goes away. It'd be nice to be able to adjust the range manually, so one could have 1.5x normal play and 2.5x or 3x for accelerated for instance.
Kente

Post by Kente »

i play always 3x and i really like this setting. It's not too fast not too slow. Anyway i think even the beginners can find 1x too slow. 2x or 3x are the best option
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

It'd odd how all the posts are in favour of upping the base speed, when the option with most votes is to keep the speed the same. :eng:
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Obviously, with 21 votes (total), not everybody who voted has written a post...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

2x is what I use and fits my play style.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

ancestral wrote:2x is what I use and fits my play style.
But should that be the default, or could you have figured that out on your own?
zookeeper wrote:1.0 should be the default, the problem is that the animations (most new-style ones that is) are simply too slow. Since no one is going to re-time all animations (although that would be great!)
Is that an invitation? I think a lot of the new animations were done with an eye toward what makes a cool GIF for online review, and not what actually works in game. The WML animation is capable of doing more than is actually used in most cases. What if the expensive, slow, multiframed attack animations were only used for kills, or first swing, and there was a quick, 2-frame attack for all the rest?

More generally: Animations often skip and jump, will accelerating the default aggravate that? (I know I could test this myself, but the skipping seems random, so I ask what others have seen.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

What might be better is to locally save the user preferences. Hence if a user prefers the animation at 2x speed, the preference is saved to a local config file, and, for them, the animation plays at 2 x speed. This file could also be used to save the preferences for zoom (I normally have to zoom the map out about 3 times before I'm happy with it, I'd prefer not to have to do this at the start of each scenario / after each reload) and other such settings.