top 10 best units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

amanII

top 10 best units

Post by amanII »

notes:only mainline units count for this list and campaign units don't count either

dark adept
batal
elvish avenger
troll warrior
direwolf rider
knight
dwarvish sentinel
jawal
dwarvish lord
royal guard
honorable mentions
dryad(from extended era)
orcish slurbow
dwarvish loremaster
halberdier
The_Gnat

Re: top 10 best units

Post by The_Gnat »

Hmmm thats a good question but units are highly situational of the top of my head I would say: (btw I haven't played khalifate or drakes much so i cant remember them well enough to compare :P )

Sorry about the order I changed my mind some ;)
10 - dwarvish dragon guard (huge range ok melee & just AWESOME)
8 - dwarvish lord (impact & blade & range)
7 - elvish marksman (powerful range)
6 - suarian skimisher line (everyone hates these 70% defense fast skimishing units that kill your wounded and healers)
3 - nightguant (resistance, backstab, night stalk, movement)
9 - orcish assassin (poison - properly controlled villages and you win)
4 - elvish avenger (ambush, good mixed fighter)
5 - knight (charge & movement)
2 - elvish champion (9-5 melee and a 9-3 bow)
1- arch mage (magical & because advances to lvl 4)
(In saying all this I personally consider that neutral/lawful/chaotic are equal)
(Also dwarves make up for their bad defense with good resistance - loyalists dont)
(Elves woodland defense gives them all a slight advatage)
(Undead suck against fire/arcane/impact and dont quite balance it out with their pierce blade resistance)
(Drakes move faster than most other units but I cant remember their attacks and hp)
inuyasha35

Post by inuyasha35 »

10. elvish fighter
9. elvish archer
8.Dwarvish thunderer
7. fencer
6. spearman
5. troll whelp
4. vampire bat
3. ghoul
2.Dwarvish scout
1. drake burner

I am only including default era recruits, In my opinion Drake burners and dwarvish scouts are both overpowered, ghouls are the best tank that there is(other than trolls and woses) and(poison included) have a fantastic average damage output, they don't work well in groups of 2 or 3 other ghouls because poison can't stack. vampire bats are dirt cheap scouts that easily pay themselves off, troll whelps work well with orcish assassins and other poision units as they can simply outlast their opponent. people underestimate spearmen, they have a surprisingly strong melee attack and people often underestimate their ranged attack. they also have a lot of hit points and excellent upgrades, fencers only have one attack and it's fairly weak, but if they get the "strong" trait than they can become really powerful. dwarwish thunderers have an overpowered attack set but they are usually too slow to be useful, elvish archers are a solid ranged unit. but they are only particularly powerful on heavy forest maps, elvish fighters are similar to spearmen but they lack firstrike and have a better ranged attack. there upgrades lack the armor that spearmen's upgrades have so they are less durable at higher levels. all in all every unit has it's ups and downs, but these are my personal favorites.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Here are mine (for PVP only) Not including default era Cavalry and Horseman because they are Uber tier.

1. Spearman
2. Orcish Grunt
3. Bat
4. Dark Adept
5. Drake Fighter
6. Heavy Infantry
7. Dwarvish Fighter
8. Skeleton
9. Ghost
10. Elvish Fighter
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
inuyasha35

Post by inuyasha35 »

I don't like ghosts, they have too low of a damage output
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

10. There
9. Are
8. Too
7. Many
6. Great
5. Units
4. To
3. List
2. Them
1. Swordsman
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
matto

Post by matto »

Top 10?

10.ulf
9.ulf
8.ulf
7.ulf
6.ulf
5.ulf
4.ulf
3.ulf
2.ulf
1.ulf
DST#1 DST#2 DST#3

DST#4 Registration Open
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Obviously, one would need to filter by level to make any meaningful comparison:

10. Giant Rat (too weak / fragile)
9. Mudcrawler (too slow)
8. Falcon (expensive / unreliable)
7. Woodsman (expensive)
6. Peasant (perfect)
5. Ruffian (cheap / 5-2 melee)
4. Vampire Bat (9mp / 60% def / drain)
3. Giant Scorpling (poison)
2. Walking Corpse (plague)
1. Goblin Spearman (6-3 melee)

:D
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
patience_reloaded

Post by patience_reloaded »

I think the term "best unit" is too open and includes too many things for me to make a reasonable short submission to the topic, so I'll do a list of units I think are most powerful, disregarding the gold costs.
Disclaimer: Since I'm not overly experienced, the list might be biased. Also, the list is only an opinion, and you don't have to agree with it.
For easier handling, I only use default era recruits.

Highest power units:
8. Dwarfish Ulfserker (death machine)
7. Drake Fighter (mobility&damage)
6. Drake Burner (damage&mobility)
5. Dark Adept (accurate damage)
4. Mage (accurate damage)
3. Wose (power&defense)
2. Horseman (power&speed)
1. Gryphon Rider (power&speed)

Elaborations:
The Gryphon Rider has second to highest base damage, and is one of the fastest default units, outmatched only by the bat (caves) and (on suitable terrain) elvish scout.
The Horseman is mainly there due to the charge ability doubling the offensive damage, combined with a lot of MP. Thief has lower base damage for doubling, is slower, and more frail, and therefore not in the list.
The wose has the highest base damage of all of them, and has high hp, some resists, and regeneration. However, the slow movement is a weakness, putting it lower in the list.
Drake Burner might have more damage than Mages, but I value the accuracy of the mages highly here.
Drake Fighter has 6 moves, flying. Combined with decent base damage, that's valuable and puts him distinctly before the fighter class units of the other factions imo.
Ulfserker: Very special unit, undeniably it can kill anything that has no melee, and is therefore powerful enough to make it into the list.

If you don't like it, as an alternative, I'll give another list below. This list is even more biased though, since I play undead mainly.

Units that I think are most dangerous when well used:
10. Mage (high power, but expensive)
9. Orcish Assassin (reliable poison)
8. Elvish Shaman (attack with slow)
7. Drake Fighter (mobile and good damage)
6. Dwarfish Ulfserker
5. Gryphon Rider (speed and power, but expensive)
4. Dark Adept (high power with pretty low price)
3. Orcish archer (quick levelup, versatile, cheap)
2. Wose (hard to kill)
1. Ghost (fearsome levelup, hard to kill when played well)

Elaborations:
Ghost... I just personally like them very much. When used correctly, they are hard to kill (because they heal fast in villages), they level fast, they have excellent mobility on difficult terrain and good mobility on easy terrain, and their levelups are absolute killers.
Wose can be very though, just because of its HP and regeneration. High melee damage is a further danger. With the right backup, the wose can become almost impossible to destroy, slowly advancing to the enemy keep.
Orcish Archer levels up as fast as ghosts, and even faster if intelligent. With the different damage types it's also very versatile, there's almost nothing that is resistant to both pierce and fire.
Dark Adept is in the list higher than the mage because of being significantly cheaper. It's much easier to send an additional Dark Adept into the battle than an additional mage, since for the mage, you often have to save your gold for one turn longer. An additional unit, used well, can mean very much in a battle.
Gryphon Rider is simply very strong and mobile. The lower rank in this list is due to being too easy to kill if ZoC-trapped.
Drake Figher can pretty reliably outrun enemy infantry and heal in a village, which puts him in the list here.
The Horseman is not on this list because of being too easy to counter imo. Though that's probably the undead in me speaking, skeletons and ghosts aren't that afraid of being pierced through.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I agree with MoonyDragon that comparisons should be by level, to make things fair.

From the regular type, my favourite ones are still the elven units. From undead I
only really like ghosts; even if they don't have enough damage output, being
able to heal on attacks, and flying, makes them sooooo convenient to use. And
their upgrades are AWESOME.

Trolls are quite fine too due to regeneration.

Dark Adept I don't like. I get that it has a high damage output, but they are so
squishy - I always lose them and I don't want to have to micromanage them
more than the other units. For fodder units, my favourite one is the spearman -
not sure why but he seemed cheap and levels quite quickly in comparison.

Orcish Archer can be quite good but I still don't really like the orc units. Orc-assassin
is quite nifty though. But from all the regular types, I much prefer elves; elven
ranger is one of my all time favourite.

I play mostly add-on related content though, and I find many units more
interesting, especially the "arabian nights" settings (aka dune/desert/heat
scenarios and campaigns).

Wose are strong but I hate how slow they are. In general I love speed and
mobility, even if these units may not be the strongest. When I see a slow
moving civilian zombie, I get annoyed at that bugger.

Edit: I forgot dwarves. I like the dwarf tank (stalwart), is my favourite tank.
The other dwarf units tend to be quite tough. I don't quite like the powerblaster
thingy ... even if the damage output is insane. I hate that it has only one
attack. I prefer the elven archer in this situation even though the elf
units are super-squishy in general. Some dwarven shaman units with
more heal or semi-heal may be nice to have though. Something like
aura of low healing or like that, +1 hp regen or so.
icer66

Post by icer66 »

matto wrote: September 26th, 2020, 9:50 am Top 10?

10.ulf
9.ulf
8.ulf
7.ulf
6.ulf
5.ulf
4.ulf
3.ulf
2.ulf
1.ulf
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but ulf?

Is that an acronym for something? I tried looking up classes beginning with U, then sub classes beginning with LF… I only got as far as Undead Lich and nothing for F. Anyone care to elaborate please?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

icer66 wrote: May 29th, 2022, 11:32 am Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but ulf?

Is that an acronym for something? I tried looking up classes beginning with U, then sub classes beginning with LF… I only got as far as Undead Lich and nothing for F. Anyone care to elaborate please?
Dwarvish Ulfserker
icer66

Post by icer66 »

As I am new to this Wesnoth game (got it for my iPhone recently), I see in debug mode Armageddon Drake. Looks to be quite overkill with 12x6 Firebreath. Any thoughts anyone?

Link to image:

Code: Select all

ibb.co/f9h4YKC
icer66

Post by icer66 »

gnombat wrote: May 29th, 2022, 11:45 am
icer66 wrote: May 29th, 2022, 11:32 am Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but ulf?

Dwarvish Ulfserker
Thank you very much for your prompt response gnombat 🤗
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

icer66 wrote: May 29th, 2022, 11:50 am I see in debug mode Armageddon Drake. Looks to be quite overkill
This is usually used as an enemy boss. The player doesn't have access to it by default. You will probably not kill it without losing some high-level units, but it does have some weaknesses. Other, similar units are the Ancient Lich and Fire Dragon.

(Please don't double post. Edit your previous one instead.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide