New to game -- which mods are essentials?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jfpOne23

New to game -- which mods are essentials?

Post by jfpOne23 »

Greets people! This looks awesome, cant wait to dive in.

I was wondering if, (as is common for most moddable games), there are a few recommended groups of mods that are considered "essential" and where I might find this (these) list (lists/threads).

Thanks and see you on the beaches!
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: New to game -- which mods are essentials?

Post by beetlenaut »

Wesnoth is mature enough that everything essential to game play is already in the main distribution. There are no mods that everyone knows about and uses. There are some user-made campaigns that have that status though. If you sort the add-on list by downloads, they are the campaigns at the top of the list. However, I would still play the mainline campaigns first. Many of them were originally in that list, so they are all of good quality.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Hello, there are no "essential mods", cool, nice and usefull ones yes, but none are really "essential" (I think the game is pretty self-contained) if not for particular cases like color blind ppl or those that can't bear the RNG or luck based games in general and so on.
Anyway you can download most mods directly from within the game, just click on the corresponding menu (The one called add-ons) , or by going on the add-on site (Just google Wesnoth add-ons) and download them manually, here you will find a lot of game changing modifications, ranging from game mechanics to graphics.
There are even mods that make the game more RPG like, others that change or even remove luck and also a lot of new factions and units, like Vampires, Werewolves, Cyclops, Ninjas, Tanks, Spaceships and so on.
So it depens of what you consider "essential" for yourself.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hi jfpOne23! As for campaigns, all of the mainline campaigns are worth playing, even if some of the characters -by design- are hardly likeable.
Given that the gameplay in some campaigns is wildly different from others' (or completely new altogether, e.g. in Mountain Witch), and also how time eras change and there are diverging timelines, I don't think we cannot recommend any in particular until you have at least developed some taste for it. My favourite among the mainline campaigns is probably Legend of Wesmere.

If you develop the taste for it and play fast enough that you run out of campaigns before new ones are made, you might dare also install earlier versions of the game (1.12 and maybe even 1.10) and play all those campaigns which haven't been ported to 1.14 or have been reworked so completely (e.g. doofus-01's Trinity) that they are effectively different campaigns.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I don't have a particular listing of mods that are necessary, but from having played lots of different campaigns there are some things I love.

- Hero advancement is awesome. I liked the campaign with the dwarf that would ride on a bear mount. That was hilarious. And certain abilities are awesome ... though others are totally overpowered. Either way I like that in general. I think it is called ADML or something like that.

- I like for regular units to be upgradable too, not just gain more hp. Here we need to keep things balanced, so the upgrades should be small and not too powerful. Things such as ... gain 300 xp and +1 melee power or something like that. That should take quite some time (don't take these values as 1:1, I just mean this to not be too powerful and common.)

- I also like, in principle, crafting and equipment and items. The only problem I have is, aside from soem being too powerful, is that the user interface is too annoying. But I like that in principle. Also when mobs drop stuff, that's fun too. ;)

I'd like some more economy-related mods though. Perhaps even being able to build or extend existing tiles, e. g. upgrade a village to a city and gain more income or so. A bit like the old warlords if anyone remembers that. Wesnoth is primarily a map-based strategy game though.

My favourite campaign of all times is that arabian nights one where you had djinni and stuff - that was really really awesome. Better than the default campaigns too, so it spoiled the other default campaigns a bit .. ;) though the default must be somewhat simple to attract new users too.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

shevegen wrote: November 10th, 2019, 3:26 pmMy favourite campaign of all times is that arabian nights one where you had djinni and stuff - that was really really awesome. Better than the default campaigns too, so it spoiled the other default campaigns a bit .. ;) though the default must be somewhat simple to attract new users too.
Which one? Kwandulin's Oath of Allegiance or To Lands Unknown? Both are great.