DEVELOPMENT: player feedback on development

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fire-emblem

DEVELOPMENT: player feedback on development

Post by fire-emblem »

1. this post is about removing campaigns - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51139
2. yes, the bottom 50% of campaigns should be removed
3. there are surveys and stuff on the web about which is the best wesnoth campaigns, and the bottom 50% should be removed as they detract from a quality and best experience
4. everyone in society does that in other games, medias, films, etc, all other medias so that the final product can actually be good
5. the ppl that have an interest in that discussion should summarise concisely the main conclusions/points/views of the various viewpoints here
6. cos all the talk appears to be stalling and inhibiting progress

like with wikipedia and everything else in this world, all additions can and should be changed if it is overall better
- if someone is making better campaigns, or reinventing or remaking current campaigns into better ones, then yes, bad campaigns should be deleted
- if the original maker of something still has an interest in what they made, then they'll be part of the discussion, and if any makers doesnt, that's cos they've moved on, and it's up to the current active devs of w/e to delete bad stuff, and to make w/e they are making better
- so dont worry about the original makers, they're busy doing other things in their lives
- if someone makes something, they still have it, in their home, or on their computer, or in their mind, but that doesnt mean it should be continual part of a game or anything else
- the new makers decides

so if someone is making new campaigns or w/e, then the current makers are the ones that decides, so i prob support some or most of w/e is in:
'A grand design for singleplayer mainline lore'
viewforum.php?f=2
otzenpunk

Re: DEVELOPMENT: player feedback on development

Post by otzenpunk »

fire-emblem wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:32 pm 1. this post is about removing campaigns - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51139
2. yes, the bottom 50% of campaigns should be removed
3. there are surveys and stuff on the web about which is the best wesnoth campaigns, and the bottom 50% should be removed as they detract from a quality and best experience
I completely disagree. Sure, some mainline campaigns are better than others. (Although people occasionally disagree, which one these are.) But none of them is total shite, unplayable or generally painting a bad picture of the game. Of course, one could drastically reduce the number of officially supported campaigns and refer to the add-on server for more. But while there are certainly quite a couple of very high quality campaigns there, there's also a lot of uninspired, unbalanced and unfinished stuff, and it's not easy to find the gems, if you don't know what you're looking for.

So in my opinion, throwing a number of campaigns out of mainline would itself "detract from a quality and best experience", by forcing players to wade through the add-on swamp earlier.
Zrevnur

Re: DEVELOPMENT: player feedback on development

Post by Zrevnur »

Without having full insight I also strongly dislike the idea of removing 50% of mainline campaigns.

If the development team thinks there are quality issues it would be better to add a description per campaign detailing its 'quality status'. So for example if I am uninterested in the lore anyway I wont care about lore inconsistencies. Or if I only play on easy with cheat console I wont care if some scenarios are unbalanced. Etc.