Who did the artwork for the old wesnoth characters?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PayaThePapaya

Who did the artwork for the old wesnoth characters?

Post by PayaThePapaya »

The old art for Li'sar and Konrad look great. I'm specifically referring to this one

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/wes ... 0302045346

Does anyone know the artists?
Daravel

Re: Who did the artwork for the old wesnoth characters?

Post by Daravel »

My first instinct is that they were Kitty's: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10802 ... 3c6bf1aec7 portraits which are from 2011, but her L'isar is very different. Is the picture in OP before or after Kitty's, does anyone know?

In her thread, Kitty mentions she is replacing Jetrel's, which have been around a long time: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33910
So it is likely it was Jetrel's work.

I can't find confirmation of this.
This thread has no images any more viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4380&hilit=portrait

Then there's this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2187&hilit=portrait&start=165 but I don't think these were ever committed.
PayaThePapaya

Post by PayaThePapaya »

Thanks daravel!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yes, those were Jetrel's. They'd been used in HttT since before I started playing around 2005.

Kitty drew the current ones with Jetrel's approval. Jetrel didn't like the earlier ones any more (for BfW, anyway) and had actually been planning to replace them himself: They never matched the style of any other portraits, the characters looked around 12 or 13, and Li'sar in particular wasn't wearing a stitch of armor. BfW was trying to be a little more realistic than that in its look.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

beetlenaut wrote: May 24th, 2020, 9:54 pm They never matched the style of any other portraits, the characters looked around 12 or 13...
You know, I've been having this nagging feeling that Kitty may have shot past the mark a bit when trying to make them look older.
name

Post by name »

BTIsaac wrote: June 26th, 2020, 11:08 am
beetlenaut wrote: May 24th, 2020, 9:54 pm They never matched the style of any other portraits, the characters looked around 12 or 13...
You know, I've been having this nagging feeling that Kitty may have shot past the mark a bit when trying to make them look older.
Indeed.

Konrad and Li'sar sound younger than their twenties but look older than their twenties. A relatively easy solution might be to swap their sprites/portraits for younger looking character art from another mainline campaign that would work fine with these older looking character portraits. A much less easy solution would be to entirely rewrite the campaign so that it revolves around older heirs.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

name wrote: June 26th, 2020, 2:30 pmKonrad and Li'sar sound younger than their twenties but look older than their twenties. A relatively easy solution might be to swap their sprites/portraits for younger looking character art from another mainline campaign that would work fine with these older looking character portraits. A much less easy solution would be to entirely rewrite the campaign so that it revolves around older heirs.
Nah. Neither of those are good options.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

name wrote: June 26th, 2020, 2:30 pm A relatively easy solution might be to swap their sprites/portraits for younger looking character art from another mainline campaign
That's the easy solution? Which other mainline campaign has art that would work for those two characters?
name wrote: June 26th, 2020, 2:30 pm A much less easy solution would be to entirely rewrite the campaign so that it revolves around older heirs.
Tweaking the text would not be that hard, and I think was actually planned at one time. But, what are some examples of lines that don't sound right for people in their early twenties?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

beetlenaut wrote: June 26th, 2020, 3:58 pm Tweaking the text would not be that hard, and I think was actually planned at one time. But, what are some examples of lines that don't sound right for people in their early twenties?
I don't know if there are any specific lines that don't sound right, but it seems to me that the story makes more sense overall if Konrad is only 16 or 17 years old when the first scenario begins. If that is the case, then it feels like he's still very young, growing up in exile among the elves, waiting for the day when he can recapture the throne that is rightfully his. But then the enemy strikes first before he is ready.

On the other hand, if he's in his twenties, it kind of makes you wonder what exactly he and Delfador are planning on doing - are they just intending to hide in the woods for the rest of their lives? If so, then ... that plan doesn't seem to work out very well (they get attacked and are forced to fight a war for control of Wesnoth anyway).

It's a subtle difference, but to me, having Konrad as a teenager makes him more of a sympathetic character who is forced into a situation before he is truly prepared for it; having him be in his twenties seems to hint at the possibility of indecisiveness or perhaps even cowardice on his part.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

name wrote: ↑June 26th, 2020, 4:30 pm
A relatively easy solution might be to swap their sprites/portraits for younger looking character art from another mainline campaign
That's the easy solution? Which other mainline campaign has art that would work for those two characters?
name wrote: ↑June 26th, 2020, 4:30 pm
A much less easy solution would be to entirely rewrite the campaign so that it revolves around older heirs.
Tweaking the text would not be that hard, and I think was actually planned at one time. But, what are some examples of lines that don't sound right for people in their early twenties?
A much easier solution for all this would be to tweak the artworks a bit: round off the faces a little bit, remove Konrads beard stubbles, etc.
eh, what comes here again?
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Also in this thread it is written that smaller hands let them look younger, more like children. maybe try something like this
eh, what comes here again?
Selenium

Post by Selenium »

I have seen this "young" Li'sar portrait used in a couple campaigns, Elvish Incursion: A Prologue, and War for the Jewel. I like the portrait, she looks cool.