Mount & Blade : Battle for Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DoDoCat

Post by DoDoCat »

Wesnoth mod for Mount & Blade With Fire and Sword

Discord: https://discord.gg/2KtTFHZ
Moddb: https://www.moddb.com/mods/mount-blade- ... or-wesnoth

Total conversion mod for Mount & Blade With Fire and Sword which bring Wesnoth universe.

Factions:

Features:
Features:
Troop Tree:
Troop Tree:
Screenshots: Image

WFaS -> WB -> Bannerlord
Last edited by DoDoCat on July 1st, 2021, 5:38 am, edited 32 times in total.
DoDoCat

Re: Mount & Blade : Battle for Wesnoth

Post by DoDoCat »

There is one question I want to ask the community:

Can I use the soundtracks from official Wesnoth into my mod?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

As long as you're able to use music licensed under the GPL (or in one case Creative Commons), then yes.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
DoDoCat

Post by DoDoCat »

Pentarctagon wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 1:53 pm As long as you're able to use music licensed under the GPL (or in one case Creative Commons), then yes.
Thanks for the answer, do I need to make this mod open source?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm not really sure, to be honest. At a minimum you'd need to specifically call out the GPL and CC music as being under their respective license, but I'm not a lawyer and I'm not sure about the case of a GPL asset being loaded by (I assume) non-GPL compatible code.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
DoDoCat

Post by DoDoCat »

Pentarctagon wrote: June 4th, 2020, 3:22 am I'm not really sure, to be honest. At a minimum you'd need to specifically call out the GPL and CC music as being under their respective license, but I'm not a lawyer and I'm not sure about the case of a GPL asset being loaded by (I assume) non-GPL compatible code.
So I just need to credit Battle for Wesnoth?

I will make the mod open source if Battle for Wesnoth Development Team think it is necessary
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

I'm not a lawyer either, so take my remarks with a grain of salt.

AFAIR the GPL requires to be extended on every piece of material directly linked together. The most relevant condition to determine, if two seperate pieces of code/information are linked together in this sense, is if they could be used independently.

This means, you're certainly not allowed to GPL your mod, because it probably doesn't do anything useful without the M&B game, which I guess you're not allowed to GPL in its entirety.^^

So the question is, are you allowed to use certain GPLed media from Wesnoth in your mod, despite the mod isn't itself under GPL? Again, the question is, does it work seperately? If the technical circumstances require you to compile those media files alongside the code into the mod somehow, the answer is certainly NO.

If you're just accompanying your mod with the relevant sound files, and the mod isn't dependent on their existence—e.g. just stays silent if they're not present—you're probably ok, as long as you include the license text into your distribution.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Its almost harvesting season!
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
DoDoCat

Post by DoDoCat »

otzenpunk wrote: June 4th, 2020, 7:48 am I'm not a lawyer either, so take my remarks with a grain of salt.

AFAIR the GPL requires to be extended on every piece of material directly linked together. The most relevant condition to determine, if two seperate pieces of code/information are linked together in this sense, is if they could be used independently.

This means, you're certainly not allowed to GPL your mod, because it probably doesn't do anything useful without the M&B game, which I guess you're not allowed to GPL in its entirety.^^

So the question is, are you allowed to use certain GPLed media from Wesnoth in your mod, despite the mod isn't itself under GPL? Again, the question is, does it work seperately? If the technical circumstances require you to compile those media files alongside the code into the mod somehow, the answer is certainly NO.

If you're just accompanying your mod with the relevant sound files, and the mod isn't dependent on their existence—e.g. just stays silent if they're not present—you're probably ok, as long as you include the license text into your distribution.
Yes, my mod can be with the relevant sound files, it just stay slient if there are no soundtracks from Battle for Wesnoth

I will contain the GPL license text into the my distribution
Last edited by DoDoCat on June 8th, 2020, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoDoCat

Post by DoDoCat »

otzenpunk wrote: June 4th, 2020, 7:48 am I'm not a lawyer either, so take my remarks with a grain of salt.

By the way, do you guys have any idea or suggestion about my banner design?
DoDoCat

Post by DoDoCat »

Vilebeggar wrote: June 4th, 2020, 10:16 am Its almost harvesting season!
lol
AOW

Post by AOW »

Wow~I like these two games
Sounds like a great project!
gaojicainiao

Post by gaojicainiao »

People in wesnoth forums are so brilliant!
DoDoCat

Post by DoDoCat »

Bump