Matchup Madness Event

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

igorbat99

Matchup Madness Event

Post by igorbat99 »

TL; DR: find an opponent on interesting match-up for you(in this thread or somehow), post a comment here like 'me and flappy_bird are playing ORCs vs LOYs on the Weldyn Channel map', upload warm-up games replays. When you warmed up, play 5 game as, for example, ORCs on 1st slot, then 5 games on 2nd slot. Upload your replays and ping me or flappy_bird. This will increase your understanding of
1) how matchup works
2) how Weldyn works
3) how your fractions works
4) how your opponent works.
Feel free to ask a help on certain matchup during warm-up. If you both stacked in campy games, probably need to change match-up(drop that) or change map or ask for help.

Whom to write/Organizers: igorbat99, flappy_bird.

Hi all, i want to introduce you a matchup madness event, which i've found in another TBS-game community. There are 15 different match-ups, which works pretty different between them and also between maps. I think everyone, who played 1 vs 1 on high skill level know, that there are some problems with balance on certain maps/matchups like "i really can't defend as Drake vs UD", "i can't win as loyal/neutral fraction vs p1 UD on Sablestone" and so on. But many of this complains/feelings/ideas often have a opposition who say things like "No, it's ok".

The only way to found that something is well/not well balanced is feelings of players, not only like high skill level players, but all players(there could be different "meta" between different level of experience of the game). But which feelings are have good estimation of reality for competititve? As Sirlin says: "The same people plays the same matchup in the same situation differently at 1-10 and 51-60 games, if they play them against each other in a row". Row experience in the match-up, map, same opponent matters -- you become to know timings, start to see the deep ideas and things.

This is the reason, why you need to play many games, before you will play that good. So that 'many games' part is calling Warm-up: this is a part for testing and understanding, how it works. Idea behind it: to use many(all) good strategies for this match-up, and didn't save anything for real games - there are no "winners" or "loser", we are trying to increase our level. Share strategies, swap fractions with your opponent, discuss, ask for help for old experts. (it can be hard to increase full understanding of wesnoth, but you can level up fast on certain fraction in certain match-up to the high-raiting ladder player/tournaments winner)
Then, play 5 game on 1st slot, then 5 games on 2nd slot. - this part is "real games". Try to play this part to win because you will help to create a good statistics after all.

So, find opponent, pick match up, pick a map from short list and play. Pls, name your games like: "Warm-up Orcs vs Rebels", "Game 1 Orcs vs Rebels", "Game 6 Rebels vs Orcs".
Short-list of maps (all maps from this list are good to play any matchup, you can not to make in campy):
Swamp of Dread
Silverhead Crossing
Weldyn channel
Elensefar Courtyard
Clearing Gushes

Pre-short list(maps with small problems/unexperienced maps):
Caves of Basilisk(campy, small amount of fish roles)
Sulla(campy, knalga-oriented)
HGB(very small amount of fish roles)
Hellhole(i haven't much experience on it)
Hamlets(campy)

How do we pick maps:
1) They need to have 7-9 vills ( we think that wesnoth is balanced for such amount of vills)
2) They need to have a space of abilities for fishes
3) They need to have a early pressure ability // need not to be a map, where Rebels can't attack Loys at all for example. Fast rushes into interesting games with Level 2 units - our best.
Feel free to say, that some map from default map list a better than picked in short/pre-short list, and, it's more important, to give me args about why maps in short/pre-short list are worse, than we think they are.

What will i get, if i join to event?
1) Practice in things, where you're not very good. Pick match-up, learn how to win
2) You will help to balance current maps

What will community get, when this finishes:
1) Have a truly information for played maps about how p1 vs p2 works. Wesnothlife statistics give info like 60% wins for 1st player
2) Have a very good estimation about how certain match-up works -- if you are not deep in this matchup, you can't perform a good investment in statistics.
3) Have a better competitive wesnoth understanding for participant.
4) Good comments on how to imporove default maps for competitive.

links part:
Loys vs Orcs
Loys vs UD
Loys vs Drakes
Loys vs Rebels
Loys vs Knalgas

Orcs vs UD
Orcs vs Drakes
Orcs vs Rebels
Orcs vs Knalgas

UD vs Drakes
UD vs Rebels