Why though?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

s1m0n

Why though?

Post by s1m0n »

The lich has 2 types of range attacks. Why though? I found the first to be always stronger, so why does the 2nd exist at all?
eh, what comes here again?
ForPeace

Why Lich has 2 range attack types?

Post by ForPeace »

Lich has a 12-3 cold attack and 9-3 arcane attack. Normally 12-3 is stronger than 9-3. Some units, though, have cold resistance and arcane vulnerability. For example, skeletons have 60% cold resistance but -50% arcane. That means lich's cold attack will deal 5-3 and arcane will deal 14-3.

It's all about damage types.

Also, weaker attacks come in handy when you want to make sure you get the experience into the right unit. Like you want to kill a 24 hp unit, putting experience into a dark adept. Killing a unit with a lich would waste experience so lich has to deal only a bit of damage (using a weaker attack) to let the adept finish.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
s1m0n

Re: Why though?

Post by s1m0n »

That both makes sense, although only the 2nd argument why its useful (xp grind) is used regularly in the game. I never got to play lich against skeletons, so
eh, what comes here again?
Krogen

Re: Why though?

Post by Krogen »

Generally speaking, the dark adept line is the "boss" unit type of the Undead faction. The one who summoned and controls the horde. Without the second damage type, they'd be completely powerless against their own creatures. It only makes sense that they can destroy what they created.
The gameplay reason is connected to that, it's necessary for Undead vs Undead fights.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister