Is anyone interested in an Ancient Greek translation?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Michael5iLVEr

Is anyone interested in an Ancient Greek translation?

Post by Michael5iLVEr »

It's only recently that I have found the game and it has absorbed me! I saw that there is a Latin and an Old English translation, so I thought «why not an Ancient Greek one?». Ancient Greek, unlike Latin, has been dead for many centuries, while Contemporary Greek was evolving along with its speakers. Thus, an Ancient Greek translation will have some throwbacks, that we will have to agree upon them from the beginning.

But, anyways, does anyone have an interest in it? Can anybody else help? I can volunteer translating, but I find the coding-part difficult. (By coding-part, I mean the type of files, their changes from .po to .mo etc.)
Elvish_Hunter

Re: Is anyone interested in an Ancient Greek translation?

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Disclaimer: I'm not Greek and I never studied Greek, be it modern or ancient.
Michael5iLVEr wrote: October 19th, 2019, 8:33 am I saw that there is a Latin and an Old English translation
Well, these two aren't the best examples... According to our translation stats (you can check them in this page), the Latin translation only has about 40% of its stings translated, while the Old English without Latin characers one has just three strings translated (6,2% of strings for Old English with Latin characters). It looks like the Old English one without Latin characters is, in fact, dead (along with the Friulan and Asturian ones). Oh, and the Modern Greek translation only has 36% of its strings translated.
That's why I'd like you to ask yourself a few questions: how many other translators do you think are going to join? Who's going to maintain the translation? And finally, wouldn't it be better (assuming you know both, correct me if this isn't the case) helping with bringing the Modern Greek one to 100%?
This isn't to dissuade you from trying, but I'd like you to know beforehand the pitfalls of such a quest.
Michael5iLVEr wrote: October 19th, 2019, 8:33 am I can volunteer translating, but I find the coding-part difficult. (By coding-part, I mean the type of files, their changes from .po to .mo etc.)
That isn't too hard: we (the development team) generate the .po files, you get them from the GitHub repository, open them with a software called PoEdit and start translating them; this program automatically compiles them to .mo files as well. Once you're done, you send the translated .po and .mo files to the translation maintainer; if you're going to be the maintainer, you should talk to us on our IRC channel or DIscord server about adding the new translation (it's a quite rare event, so I don't know what the exact procedure is).
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I echo Elvish_Hunter's feelings. Translating all of Wesnoth is about 490000 words, which would be a more than 1000 page novel. Of that, 125000 words for the core, and a further 350000 words in the campaigns - so a reasonably sized novel for just the core + 1-2 campaigns.
Elvish_Hunter wrote: October 19th, 2019, 9:22 am It looks like the Old English one without Latin characters is, in fact, dead (along with the Friulan and Asturian ones).
I've opened #4491 to remove those three languages, as they had less than 3 translated strings each.
Michael5iLVEr

Post by Michael5iLVEr »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: October 19th, 2019, 9:22 am Well, these two aren't the best examples... (...) the Latin translation only has about 40% of its stings translated, while the Old English (...) has just three strings translated.
Believe me, I saw it. It was more like an initiatory sentence than an argument. ;)
Elvish_Hunter wrote: October 19th, 2019, 9:22 am Oh, and the Modern Greek translation only has 36% of its strings translated.
(...) Wouldn't it be better (assuming you know both, correct me if this isn't the case) helping with bringing the Modern Greek one to 100%?
I do know Modern Greek, but I saw that there was already a team. Thus, I thought I could help with something else. Of course it has to reach 100%, but I don't think it's time for me to help there yet.

Since the game reminds me of a Medieval age, I guessed it would be funny to see an older language. (Disclaimer: I know that this is anachronistic, since Ancient Greek existed, well... in antiquity, while during the Medieval age, Medieval Greek existed. However, scribers at that time would still atticize, i.e. writing as the Atheneans in Classical Antiquity)
Elvish_Hunter wrote: October 19th, 2019, 9:22 am How many other translators do you think are going to join? Who's going to maintain the translation?
Well, I can't answer that. That's why I posted this here. To see how many are willing to help.
I'm eager to help as much as I can.
Elvish_Hunter wrote: October 19th, 2019, 9:22 am If you're going to be the maintainer, you should talk to us on our (...) DIscord server about adding the new translation (it's a quite rare event, so I don't know what the exact procedure is).
Well, do you happen to know in which channel should I write then?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Michael5iLVEr wrote: October 19th, 2019, 11:37 am I do know Modern Greek, but I saw that there was already a team. Thus, I thought I could help with something else. Of course it has to reach 100%, but I don't think it's time for me to help there yet.
Why not? There's no limit to the number of people in a translation team, and given that their wiki page hasn't been updated since 2014, I'd say that they do need anyone willing to help.
Michael5iLVEr wrote: October 19th, 2019, 11:37 am Well, do you happen to know in which channel should I write then?
Of course I do ;) If you want to use IRC, join the #wesnoth-dev channel on Freenode; if you want to use Discord, follow this link and join the #development channel. The channels are logged at https://www.wesnoth.org/irclogs/, and these logs are useful to check if someone answered you while you aren't chatting.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Michael5iLVEr

Post by Michael5iLVEr »

Thank you, but everything now is nearly set up! I'm starting to work.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I only actually speak Modern Greek and not that well at that, but if you're willing to translate a few hundred thousand words then this will be interesting.