[Complete] WTT : Wesnoth Time Twister, a 1v1, 1.9 tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Black Sword

[Complete] WTT : Wesnoth Time Twister, a 1v1, 1.9 tournament

Post by The Black Sword »

Hi everyone, I present a 1v1 tournament for wesnoth 1.9; the Wesnoth Time Twister. The main aim of the tournament is to play loads of good games on 1.9 to test out the khalifate, the new balance changes and to pick up any bugs that might be knocking around, in addition, it should be a lot fun! :D

Battle it out on the futuristic battle-fields of 1.9 to determine who will be the first Time Lord of Wesnoth!

The Rules:

1. Format
- The Wesnoth Time Twister is a wesnoth 1v1 tournament. It is to be played on the latest version of wesnoth 1.9. If a new version is released, players may play on the old version for up to one week. Then all games must be played on the latest version.
-All games are to be played using the "Default+Khalifate" era, using map settings, the shuffle sides option(didn't realise this was in 1.9 until now ^_^ ) and everyone must choose the Random faction. It is permissible to restart mirror games.
-It will be a 32 man tournament. These 32 players will be randomly assigned into 4 groups of 8. Everyone must play everybody else in their group once.
-The top 3 in the group will then play each other again once, adding their wins in these games to their wins in the first 8. The top 2 players in each group will then go through to the next round.

-In case of a tie between multiple players, the winner of the most matches between these players is ranked above the others. If this is insufficent after the the second phase of games, the results in the second round of games takes precedence.
-If there is still a tie after this process, eliminate the games played against the lowest ranked player(s). Continue to eliminate the games against the next lowest ranked player(s) until one player is ranked above the others.
-If this the tie is still not determined, play off game(s) may have to be arranged or unfortunately if I deem we do not have enough time for this, the ranking may be determined at random.

-With 8 players left, the tournament changes to a knockout format. 1st place in each group will be paired with 2nd place in another, whoever wins 2 from 3 games will go through to the next round.
-This continues until the final where the winner needs to win 3 from 5 games.

2. Maps
I think it's easier to list the 1.9 1v1 maps that are not allowed than those that are;

In the group stages, the following maps are not allowed;
Hornshark Island (This currently doesn't work with khalifate, I may include it if it is fixed)

Additionally, the following map is not allowed in the knockout stages;
Cynsaun Battlefield
Thousand Stings Garrison

Crescent Lake is also an eligible map.

Players must mutually agree the map they are to play in the group stage and for the first match in the knockout stages. Maps for other games in the knockout stages are chosen by the loser of the previous game. If you can't mutually agree on a map then I suggest you use one of the random map add-ons on 1.8 to choose it.

-In the group stages you may play no map more than twice
-In each knockout round you may play no map twice

3. Timer
The standard timer is 5min per player per turn (300,300,300,0). I realise this may be a bit small for larger maps so players may mutually agree on a different timer if they wish. If you believe your opponent is being unreasonable about the timer, you may request me to choose the timer for your map. Be aware though that I will probably choose a conservative timer.

4. Rules regarding matches & forum
Players are obliged to inform when they will play the game in this topic and allow observers to join their games. Games played in the tournament system has to have a "WTT" acronym, number of the round/group & player names that participate in their names.
In addition one of the players must leave a "message" game on the 1.8 server which states in the title that the WTT game is currently being played on the 1.9 server.
There is a 1.9 bug where replays don't work on some maps. Players should post both the replay and the last turn auto-save to the forum.

5. Cheating & rules abusing
Cheating is not allowed, cheating players will be banned from the tournament
Rules are never perfect, thus bona fides (good will) should be visible in player behaviour, if the player finds some part of the rules imprecise, malignant behaviour will be punished by an official warning. If the player continues to act in a malignant way, he/she may be banned.

6. Registration phase & Organisation Week
- Registration Phase starts today (14th of October, 2011), you can join the tournament sending me a PM with your server/forum nick. All players have to be registered on the boards to secure fluent communication between the opponents! Because number of places in the tournament is limited, places will be awarded on a first come, first served basis.
- It's my understanding that most of the players are in European timezones. In order to make it easier for people not in these timezones to schedule their games, it may be possible to have an American group or Asia/Australia group etc. If any player feels that playing around European timezones might be difficult, pm me with your timezone and I will try, as much as possible, to group you with people in a similar timezone.
- this tournament WILL require small part of your time, so please be sure that you will have enough of the free time to participate without causing major problems to the other tournament players & host.
- after Registration Phase ends (that is after filling all 32 team spots), I will randomly assign players to their groups and the Group stage will begin.

7.Other cases not included in the rules
- other cases not included in the rules & rules breaches will be decided by me, I want to play in the tournament too so I urge other players to save replays from the games, post them here and observe other people's games to secure the maximum level of fairness in this tournament. I also promise that I will make a decisions in the best interest of every player of the tournament - if I am involved in some situation that will need some form of GM decision, I will cede my tournament host rights to another player to get a fair judgement

8.Round Times
To ensure the tournament moves along at a steady pace, player must complete their games within the following time periods;
Group Phase: 5 weeks to complete all games.
Extra round Group games: 2 weeks to complete all games.
Knockout rounds: 2 weeks to complete all games.
Final: I won't put a time limit on this, after all who want to decide our winner by elimination! However I expect both players to do their best to finish the games as soon as they are able. If I feel I need to intervene then I will.

Please note; I will be a bit flexible with these times but not too much, if you do not think you will have enough time to play this many games in these time periods, then please consider if this tournament is for you.
Last edited by The Black Sword on October 29th, 2011, 9:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The Black Sword

Re: WTT : Wesnoth Time Twister, a 1v1, 1.9 tournament

News:

Kira1 has defeated thefish 3:1 in the finals of the Wesnoth Time Twister!

Code: Select all

Group Andromeda               Group Centauri                   Group Bode                  Group Magellanic
╔═══════════════════╤═╤═╤═╗ ╔═══════════════════╤═╤═╤═╗ ╔═══════════════════╤═╤═╤═╗ ╔═══════════════════╤═╤═╤═╗
║ Player ...........│G│W│L║ ║  Player ..........│G│W│L║ ║ Player ...........│G│W│L║ ║  Player ..........│G│W│L║
╟───────────────────┼─┼─┼─╢ ╟───────────────────┼─┼─┼─╢ ╟───────────────────┼─┼─┼─╢ ╟───────────────────┼─┼─┼─╢
║1. The Black Sword │8│6│2║ ║1. empty...........│0│0│0║ ║1. soul_steven ....│9│5│4║ ║1. szdik570........│6│2│4║
║2. Rigor ..........│6│3│3║ ║2. elido ..........│7│3│4║ ║2. noobkiller .....│7│4│3║ ║2. empty...........│0│0│0║
║3. empty ..........│0│0│0║ ║3. Honor ..........│6│1│5║ ║3. empty ..........│7│0│7║ ║3. empty ..........│6│0│6║
║4. empty ..........│6│0│6║ ║4. csarmi .........│7│3│4║ ║4. negusnyul ......│7│3│4║ ║4. peace ..........│6│3│3║
║5. Rene............│7│4│3║ ║5. tekelili .......│7│6│1║ ║5. empty ..........│7│0│7║ ║5. Kira1 ..........│8│7│1║
║6. Cremember ......│7│6│1║ ║6. Faello .........│4│2│2║ ║6. Horus2 .........│9│7│2║ ║6. Dauntless ......│8│7│1║
║7. khorne-flakes...│6│2│4║ ║7. Dreadnough .....│8│5│3║ ║7. Huumy ..........│7│3│4║ ║7. Mint ...........│8│4│4║
║8. nagafono .......│6│2│4║ ║8. Cackfiend.......│9│6│3║ ║8. thefish ........│9│8│1║ ║8. Gragorak........│6│1|5║
╚═══════════════════╧═╧═╧═╝ ╚═══════════════════╧═╧═╧═╝ ╚═══════════════════╧═╧═╧═╝ ╚═══════════════════╧═╧═╧═╝
[/size]
GAMES GROUP ANDROMEDA:
GAMES GROUP CENTAURI:
GAMES GROUP BODE:
GAMES GROUP MAGELLANIC:

Code: Select all

╔═══════════════════════════════════╤═══════════════════════════════════╤═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║           QuarterFinals           │              SemiFinals           │                    Finals                 ║
╠════════════════╤═══╤═══╤═══╤══════╪════════════════╤═══╤═══╤═══╤══════╪════════════════╤═══╤═══╤═══╤═══╤═══╤══════╣
║    Players     │WG1│WG2│WG3│ NEXT │    Players     │WG1│WG2│WG3│ NEXT │    Players     │WG1│WG2│WG3│WG4│WG5│ NEXT ║
╠════════════════╪═══╪═══╪═══╪══════╪════════════════╪═══╪═══╪═══╪══════╪════════════════╪═══╪═══╪═══╪═══╪═══╪══════╣
║Cremember       │ X │ X │ - │  X   │                │   │   │   │      │                │   │   │   │   │   │      ║
║Cackfiend       │   │   │   │      │  Cremember     │ X │   │   │      │                │   │   │   │   │   │      ║
╟────────────────┼───┼───┼───┼──────┤                │   │   │   │      │  thefish       │ X │   │   │   │   │      ║
║thefish         │ X │ X │ - │  X   │  thefish       │   │ W │W  │  X   │                │   │   │   │   │   │      ║
║Dauntless       │   │   │   │      │                │   │   │   │      │                │   │   │   │   │   │      ║
╟────────────────┼───┼───┼───┼──────┼────────────────┼───┼───┼───┼──────┤                │   │   │   │   │   │      ║
║tekelili        │   │   │   │      │                │   │   │   │      │                │   │   │   │   │   │      ║
║The_Black_Sword │ X │ X │ - │   X  │ The_Black_Sword│   │ X │   │      │                │   │   │   │   │   │      ║
╟────────────────┼───┼───┼───┼──────┤                │   │   │   │      │  Kira1         │   │ X │ X │ X │   │   X  ║
║Kira1           │ X │ X │ - │  X   │  Kira1         │ X │   │ X │  X   │                │   │   │   │   │   │      ║
║Horus2          │   │   │   │      │                │   │   │   │      │                │   │   │   │   │   │      ║
╚════════════════╧═══╧═══╧═══╧══════╧════════════════╧═══╧═══╧═══╧══════╧════════════════╧═══╧═══╧═══╧═══╧═══╧══════╝
[/size]
Games of the QF:
Games of the SF:
Games of the Finals:
Any questions, you can ask them here. Hope you enjoy the show! :)
Last edited by The Black Sword on May 17th, 2012, 11:06 pm, edited 88 times in total.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I wana play :D
Do I have to pm you or post here is also a way to register?

Just 2 suggestions
- Point 4 starts with "Teams"... may be you have your head still in other dimension :P
- I will suggest you to reserve right as organizer of make a strongest player division, and place them on different groups. Could be a little anticlimax before final rounds have Dauntless, The_Black_Sword, neki, kolbur, nani, plk2 in the same group :?
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

Im in. check out the L webpage and be quick about registration! :mrgreen:
noob-killer

Post by noob-killer »

hi all ^_^

can i join?

noob
nagafono

Post by nagafono »

recruit nagafono is ready to fight :geek:
+1
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

can i join pls?
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

The Black Sword wrote: In the group stages, the following maps are not allowed;
Hornshark Island (This currently doesn't work with khalifate, I may include it if it is fixed)
I could do this some time in the next few days, if you want.
The Black Sword wrote:Thousand Stings Garrison
I thought this did very well during the KOTF. Is this to do with the thought that maybe chaotic rushes aren't as good? (Still hoping for some replays demonstrating that...;)) Or maybe it's just too new on the whole. Probably "safer" than Hornshark though. 8)

By the way, stickied.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
The Black Sword

Please note section 8 of the rules, which I realised I left out. I've also added a list of the currently registered players.
If you think I missed anything else, please point it out to me!

I haven't yet decided if I will use some form of seeding system in randomising the groups, but I'm currently leaning against it.

Posting here to register is also fine, but I would prefer to be PMed, I think this thread may become quite long as it is.

Thanks to Rigor for posting on the ladder page.

Doc, regarding Hornshark, whenever the changes go through I think I could allow it for the group stages. It might be a bit crazy but there are no glaring issues(that I've heard) and both players would have to agree to play it.

For TSG, well... maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic. I had a look through the 1.9 maps and that's the only one I felt I'd be uncomfortable playing. I haven't had time to get any replays but I strongly suspect that lawful factions have the advantage there. All the other maps that were added in 1.9 (with the possible exception of hornshark) I think are great but I feel this isn't to the same standard.

And thanks for the skicky :wink: .
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

some of those rules sound really familiar ;)
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
neki

Post by neki »

I see that you did not want to collaborate with me, although you knew I was interested... Instead you decided to organize this alone. Please do not understand me wrong, I did not get upset at all or anything, but considering our small community it is better to collaborate in case of such events, the only loser here is the community.

Sincerely, best of luck with this tournament.

Best regards,

neki
Honor

Post by Honor »

Sign me up :mrgreen:

I can't wait to see someone play Hodor against Khalifate. Would be epic. :lol2:
powershot

Post by powershot »

I would like to be in. But I can't play all the time.(e.g. half of the day.) Anyway this sounds fun.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Mint

Post by Mint »

Sign me up, because I wanna join too ^_^
nagafono

Post by nagafono »

Honor wrote:Sign me up :mrgreen:

I can't wait to see someone play Hodor against Khalifate. Would be epic. :lol2:
+1 :lol2: let's hope for HODOR participiation, he'll give a lesson if so :eng: